Hi.
So i have been thinking about buying a bass, not as my main instrument, but rather making basslines to my original songs.
Im sure i want a 5 or 6 string bass, it is a 6 string i want the most. I play alot of prog metal etc...)

Is this smart? I have heard thet you shuld start with a 4 string, and work your way up.Anyway, i dont want to buy alot of bases, and i already play a 6 stringed instrument (guitar), so whats the point?
If you want to then there's no harm in doing so. Make sure you try out a 4, 5 and 6 string first before making a decision to see which one you feel most comfortable with.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I don't see why you shouldn't just dive in and go straight for a 6 string. It may take slightly longer to get used to it, but if it's what you want you'll never be happy with a 4 string and may end up regretting buying it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
For budget reasons, if its not goin to be your main instrument I would say get a 5, maybe even a 4. Most 6s are pretty pricey.
However if you have money, go for it. Nothing wrong with starting on a 6.

And Prog FTW.
The biggest issues are the physical attributes to a 6 stringer. The weight of the bass, string spacings, case/gig bag to hold the bass, and cost of strings.
availability of strings is a real turnoff for 6 strings as is the price of strings, and the lack of lower end 6 string models. if your just recording bass lines to your own stuff you can most likely get by with a 5 ands you would end up spending a lot less money on it.

but if you want a 6 string get one, just make sure its worth it to spend the extra money on them.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by Usernames sucks
Hi.
So i have been thinking about buying a bass, not as my main instrument, but rather making basslines to my original songs.
Im sure i want a 5 or 6 string bass, it is a 6 string i want the most. I play alot of prog metal etc...)

Is this smart? I have heard thet you shuld start with a 4 string, and work your way up.Anyway, i dont want to buy alot of bases, and i already play a 6 stringed instrument (guitar), so whats the point?

As others have said, if you want a six-string then go for it. You'll probably love it.

What brands/models of sixers are you looking at? How much are you willing to spend?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
If you want/need a 6 string bass for what you wanna write for, then get one. I know that Ibanez makes a Gio series 6-string. the bassist in my band uses one.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
if you want to eventually play a six string, you should probably start with a six string
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
i dont see a problem starting on a 6. i started on a 5 myself
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.