I've noticed something very sad in this forum.

All everyone ever discusses here is technique; how to shred faster, do the ultra-tap-sweepz.

Is it only me that wonders how to make WEIRD sounds on the guitar?
Like NIN, Muse, Radiohead who bring something else to the sonic table.

I don't rightly know how to produce those sounds, but I'm sure there are enough experienced players in here (this IS UG after all) who can share their knowledge with newer ones.

So, here's the first.

Citizen Erased (Live) - Muse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i9eIfsadAs

Beginning-Moves the pick between the small spaces of the string, ie scratching.

What I want to know is

how to sustain the high sound in the start.
@2:47 he simply holds the strings and the chord vibrates behind.
@4:21 THAT. FCKNG. GUITAR SCREAM.

Cheers.

PS: Mods, could we sticky this if the demand is sufficient?
cool idea, but there's not really a lot going on there...

the start is just feedback from a cranked amp, 2:47 he isn't playing anything, its either someone playing keyboard off stage or a backing track and 4:21 is just a bend with some vibrato.
2:47-Probably has an ebow or something ( not too sure on this)
4:21-Bending notes with vibrato

Also, the reason all anyone talks about is technique is because it's the Guitar TECHNIQUES forum.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Some people here know how to pretty much make any sound from guitar, and if someone doesn't he'll just make a new thread anyway because of laziness to look in other threads.
Quote by Zeletros
Some people here know how to pretty much make any sound from guitar, and if someone doesn't he'll just make a new thread anyway because of laziness to look in other threads.

If we abided by this, there wouldn't be any stickies left.

+(if CE wasn't enough)

NIN-The Big Comedown (Live)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KotFMEt-a8Y&NR=1

Just the solo after 3:20.
Anything from nin really, I mean how do you get that sick of a fuzz tone? I heard trent uses death by audio but can I remake that sound with a little bit cheaper pedals because death by audios pedals are like $200+
Quote by ingames
Citizen Erased (Live) - Muse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i9eIfsadAs

Beginning-Moves the pick between the small spaces of the string, ie scratching.

What I want to know is

how to sustain the high sound in the start.
@2:47 he simply holds the strings and the chord vibrates behind.
@4:21 THAT. FCKNG. GUITAR SCREAM.

his guitar has a Fernandes Sustainer, which quite literally gives him infinite sustain. it's how he does all his weird sounds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kzP4-RghME
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by dmcfanatic
Anything from nin really, I mean how do you get that sick of a fuzz tone? I heard trent uses death by audio but can I remake that sound with a little bit cheaper pedals because death by audios pedals are like $200+

I've been able to get the bass tone pretty good with an Ibanez SR305DX, a Danelectro compressor, and a fuzz face. I've never been able to nail the other sounds
Quote by ingames
I've noticed something very sad in this forum.

All everyone ever discusses here is technique

This is the technique forum, I think it's sad when people come here and discuss anything other than technique.
Frankly, there is no point in a "How Do I Make That Sound?" thread, there are so many sounds you can make with a guitar that to post them all in one thread would be cluttered and maddening to look through.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
I got a question as well:
In this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lCOZlZVA5Y
Steve Vai presents his Ibanez Jemini and at the end of said video, the Jem-Steve makes a very specific sound, or rather a barrage of very high notes ( beginning at 09:08)
Now, how exactly does he do it?
Ever since I have first seen this video I have asked myself "how on earth does he do it".
I sincerely hope that one of you is able to help me. And willing to, for that matter.
Quote by IbanEZP
I got a question as well:
In this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lCOZlZVA5Y
Steve Vai presents his Ibanez Jemini and at the end of said video, the Jem-Steve makes a very specific sound, or rather a barrage of very high notes ( beginning at 09:08)
Now, how exactly does he do it?
Ever since I have first seen this video I have asked myself "how on earth does he do it".
I sincerely hope that one of you is able to help me. And willing to, for that matter.

Again, Fernandez sustainer, but this time coupled with heavy floyd usage

I spent a good a year learning how to make just about every sound a guitar could possibly make so I'm pretty much the person to ask about these things
Last edited by CJ Noble at Aug 15, 2011,
Quote by CJ Noble
Again, Fernandez sustainer, but this time coupled with heavy floyd usage

I spent a good a year learning how to make just about every sound a guitar could possibly make so I'm pretty much the person to ask about these things

Only that's not his sustainer guitar, you can see clearly that it's missing the switches and the pickup looks different to a sustainer. It's actually just hammers from nowhere and lifting the bar at the right times.

His tone sounds that synthetic because of all the crap he's got it going through, there's no way that tone is just the guitar, the pedal and the amp.

I'd say if you've only spent a year exploring the guitar you're not even close to all the sounds it can make and certainly not close to all the ways of getting them.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Only that's not his sustainer guitar, you can see clearly that it's missing the switches and the pickup looks different to a sustainer. It's actually just hammers from nowhere and lifting the bar at the right times.

His tone sounds that synthetic because of all the crap he's got it going through, there's no way that tone is just the guitar, the pedal and the amp.

I'd say if you've only spent a year exploring the guitar you're not even close to all the sounds it can make and certainly not close to all the ways of getting them.

not a year exploring the guitar, a year exploring the weird side. I'm talking ring modulators and whammy pedals. I've spent 15 years exploring the normal side but what fun is that?
Quote by CJ Noble
not a year exploring the guitar, a year exploring the weird side. I'm talking ring modulators and whammy pedals. I've spent 15 years exploring the normal side but what fun is that?

I find that trying to get new sounds out of the instrument without effects pedals is the most fun. That and trying to get as much mile-age out of the 'normal' side of the instrument. The more sounds you can create without needing anything but yourself and your fingers the better in my opinion.

I also stand by what I said about you probably not finding all the sounds the thing has to offer.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Aug 15, 2011,
Yeah but you can only get so far without digital intervention.
Quote by CJ Noble
Yeah but you can only get so far without digital intervention.

Depends really, I think you'll find there's a lot more to be had than you think.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Alright then, I'll go ahead and challenge you:
talkbox with no talkbox
Quote by CJ Noble
Alright then, I'll go ahead and challenge you:
talkbox with no talkbox

Now you're just being obtuse, I didn't say that some sounds were possible without outside effects, I simply said that there's probably more sounds in that plank of wood and 6 strings that you think.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Yeah I'd like to know how to make some weird sounds on the guitar, the thing is though, normally when I hear someone do it IRL it always sounds terrible.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
Quote by SynysterPadge94
I heard Muse use a chaos pad on their guitars to make wierd sounds as well. Dunno much about it, not really a muse fan tbh but i came across this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfhxT5BvuIo

thats where i heard it from hope i helped

A common misconception; Matt has a MIDI controller for a rack-mounted kaoss unit in some of his guitars. It also has relatively little to do with most of what he does on guitar anyway.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
A common misconception; Matt has a MIDI controller for a rack-mounted kaoss unit in some of his guitars. It also has relatively little to do with most of what he does on guitar anyway.

Awh right like i said not really a big fan of muse only now a couple of songs but somehow came across that video so i just posted it hoping id help I just heard they use the chaos pad but werent sure at all tbh just took that guys word for it like as im not really a muse fan tbh
Quote by SynysterPadge94
Awh right like i said not really a big fan of muse only now a couple of songs but somehow came across that video so i just posted it hoping id help I just heard they use the chaos pad but werent sure at all tbh just took that guys word for it like as im not really a muse fan tbh

It's cool man, I'm not much of a fan either but it does annoy me since it seems that whenever anyone mentions Muse the first thing anyone thinks of is the Kaoss pad and shedloads of effects, as if somehow that was everything Bellamy had going for him. People may hail him as a guitar hero but for all the wrong reasons in my experience.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.