what are the ways to get a guitar to sustain notes on a clean channel ?

i know that there are compressors , but i was just thinking about
these players who say they dont use any effects and they seem to hold notes
forever like SRV and several other players on a clean channel .

my amp and guitar wont hold longer than a couple sec.

any explanation is appreciated .
Their guitars probably have great sustain and they are probably using a vibrato or string bending to hold the note longer.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Either that, or they are using effects. Like a sustain pedal(or stompbox). And I know Stevie Ray uses effects.
turn it up

also technique/quality of guitar and hardware as kutless said.

plus srv often used a tubescreamer, that adds compression and sustain.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
there are several things that can make guitars sustain longer .

1. as mentioned louder

2. play louder (pick harder)

3. reverb

4.how close your pickups are to the string's. this one is give and take because to
close can give unwanted noise

5. thickness of strings the thicker the strings the more sustain . again trade off
on ease of playing thicker the string the more tension = tougher playing just ask SRV
he used 13's thats thicker than your avrg. acoustic they usualy have 12's .

6. frets bigger sized frets i think help with sustain .

7.how far strings are from the fretboard i belive this one has an effect as well not sure though.

thats about it , i say reverb is not really an effect to me because it is naturally occurring
in a typical enviorment anywere you go there is reverb of some sort even without an amp.

any other effect is not natural to an environment . in other words man made .
yeah if the pickups are too close to the strings that'll start to kill sustain again because of the magnetic pull of the pickups on the strings.

and yeah higher action generally translates to more sustain too as you get less buzz etc and the strings can vibrate more freely. Whether you get more sustain if you raise it when the strings are already completely freely vibrating, I dunno (doubt it, but could be wrong).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?