what do you guys think of this amp?(fender frontman 212) do you think it would be okay for clubs and bars because i need to get a bigger and better amp so i can play live with my band or do you guys have any better suggestions, here is some info
Budget-£300 could go higher i just have to save for longer
Genres-mainly play thrash stuff so high gain is a factor but i also like my clean stuff to, i dont mind throwing pedals in front of the amp
New or used-I would prefer to get a brand new but i dont mind used if it is in good condition
closest city-i live is south west wales in the uk so my nearest large towns/cities are Carmarthen and of course i can catch trains from there to go to farther out places such as Swansea/Cardiff if i want to
...and finally my current gear
i am soo ashamed of my gear but here goes
peavey predator plus exp
shitty old park marshall 15 watt amp(my first ever amp)
boss ds-2
original crybaby wah
Yeah, I had a frontman 15g and it was terrible.

311, you're starting to write like Jen.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
I have one. I suggest not getting one. It is really not high gain enough for metal and gain is really harsh and ass sounding. The cleans however are fairly nice. Pedals in front of the amp are also not that great of a solution because transistor amps generally react poorly to pedals. While i am really not really the best to recommend a metal amp i think a nice little used blackstar would probably suite your needs well. If you do decide to buy this amp though try it first your opinion may be swayed.
If you want High Gain you shouldn't get the fender. A friend of mine has one and it's ok on clean or with little overdrive. On moderate distortion it doesn't sounds great but is usable (depends on how high your expectations are)

The Peavey Vypyr or Bandit should be in your Budget and would be the better choise compared to the fender. They are both nice amps for the price. Of course the distortion of both are still not as great as with tube amps but pretty good. I find that the Transistor Vypyr still sounded a bit digital compared to the Bandit (well thats obviously because the Vypyr uses digital amp simulations whereas the Bandit uses an analog circuit for tube simulation)

You could also go used and get a decent tube amp.

If you save a little bit more you could also get the tube version of the Vypyr or even a Peavey 6505 Plus Combo if you don't need great cleans.

Edit: The Roland Cube XL's aren't bad either, if you like the tone. Some may say they sound "dead". It would be best if you tried them all and decide for yourself.
Last edited by Tomura at Aug 13, 2011,
+1 to the Vypyr tube 60.

If you like thrash and death metal and stuff, there are some solid state amps that pull it off quite well at a low volume. They don't compare to valves at cranked volume, but they can do it. Check out the Amopeg VH-140, SS-150, and Crate GX-130. It's harsh, and kinda fizzy, but has some thickness and grind to it that, for me, works great for thrash. Cleans rock as well.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
TS: For what you're wanting to play, the Frontman won't suite you well. But it is by no means the horrid amp that everyone makes it out to be. Its got some great cleans and takes pedals fairly well. The drive, however, is pretty much useless. If you were only using clean tones then the Frontman would be a good amp for you.

For thrash, look into a Peavey Windsor. Yeah, they are single channel amps and you'd have to do the old "roll back your guitar's volume" trick (but hell, that's how people got clean tones live back in the old days when everyone was using cranked, single channel amps), but they are modeled after the JCM 800 which is the amp responsible for A LOT of thrash tones. Throw a boost or an OD set as a boost in front of it if you want a bit more gain.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
TS: For what you're wanting to play, the Frontman won't suite you well. But it is by no means the horrid amp that everyone makes it out to be. Its got some great cleans and takes pedals fairly well. The drive, however, is pretty much useless. If you were only using clean tones then the Frontman would be a good amp for you.

For thrash, look into a Peavey Windsor. Yeah, they are single channel amps and you'd have to do the old "roll back your guitar's volume" trick (but hell, that's how people got clean tones live back in the old days when everyone was using cranked, single channel amps), but they are modeled after the JCM 800 which is the amp responsible for A LOT of thrash tones. Throw a boost or an OD set as a boost in front of it if you want a bit more gain.

peavey windsor looks pretty legit but in combo format its only 15 watts i dont think thats enough for gigging(i might be wrong) and the head is 100 watts but is pricy and i'd need a cab, at least they were the only ones i could find