Poll: Your preferred company?
Poll Options
View poll results: Your preferred company?
Ibanez
16 50%
Jackson
8 25%
Schecter
8 25%
Voters: 32.
Hey guys this is my first post so... hey!
I'm sure this question has been asked thousands of times but I'm looking to buy a new guitar and I need some UltimateGuitar help. I'm currently listening to/playing different types of metal but I just got into a band called Protest the Hero recently and I'm looking to switch up my style a little. Anyway, lets get to the specifications.

Price range: $500-$700; flexible

Preferred companies: Ibanez, Jackson, Schecter. No Fender please (I have a strat now which is by no means a bad guitar but I need something new).

Body shape: Nothing crazy like an "X" or anything like that, standard shape.

Fretboard: Anything but maple. Rosewood or ebony I guess.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I'd go with a Jackson Dinky of sorts seeing as you like Jackson's and I've played on quite a few my self and think they are rather good for metal. Look around to see what models suit your specifications.
They all offer pretty much similar quality instruments in that price range. Personally I'd go for Ibanez RG or S series or LTD M or MH but just because I find their necks more comfortable. Go to a guitar shop and try them out and see what you like, that's the best way to go
Guitars:

Ibanez SZ320
Ibanez RG450
Ibanez SC620
Bc Rich Warlock 7 String
ESP LTD SC-607

FX:

Digitech Whammy 4
Line 6 PodXT Live

Amp:

Line 6 Flextone 2
I'd go with an Ltd ec-1000 serie, they have Emg 81-60 that works fine for heavy parts as well as for the clean parts. And the body shape is pretty standard, it looks like a modified LesPaul.

I have the model with the floyd rose that is around 1000$ but one of my friends found one without the floyd rose for 600$.
Last edited by klown_nightmare at Aug 13, 2011,
i guess nobody likes schecter haha. yea i was looking at the dinky as well as the s series for ibanez but there are so many models i guess ill just have to set a day for guitar center thanks for your inputs though you helped me narrow my options down

Quote by ibanezfaz
If you wanted to go down the seven string path. I would highly recommend getting this and replacing the pick ups with a decent set of Dimarzio's. Really is a nice guitar for the price.
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Ibanez-RG7321-7-String-Electric-Guitar-Black/69K

looks really nice but i'm afraid ill have to get better at a 6-string before i add one more lol
^i like schecter lol
go to a shop and play them all man, always the easiest way to figure it out.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Ya I would say just got to a shop an play them. As for Schecter I love them I would look at the hellraisers or the black jack really good guitars.
I'm currently listening to/playing different types of metal but I just got into a band called Protest the Hero]Did anyone else read this as him joining Protest The Hero and think troll immediately? Cause I did. I'm also listening to PTH right now TS, soooo ****ing good.
Quote by SylKain
They all offer pretty much similar quality instruments in that price range. Personally I'd go for Ibanez RG or S series or LTD M or MH but just because I find their necks more comfortable. Go to a guitar shop and try them out and see what you like, that's the best way to go
This. LTD MH-1000's are the most comfortable guitars I've ever played that were under $1000. You can buy one with a trem new for about $800, and with a TOM for $700. But they go used in your price range easily. I only paid $500 for mine new though, through a sale. I'd say look through your local Craigslist and try to find an MH or an H-1000, which are also super nice guitars.
Quote by qtip2293
I'm currently listening to/playing different types of metal but I just got into a band called Protest the Hero]Did anyone else read this as him joining Protest The Hero and think troll immediately? Cause I did. I'm also listening to PTH right now TS, soooo ****ing good.This. LTD MH-1000's are the most comfortable guitars I've ever played that were under $1000. You can buy one with a trem new for about $800, and with a TOM for $700. But they go used in your price range easily. I only paid $500 for mine new though, through a sale. I'd say look through your local Craigslist and try to find an MH or an H-1000, which are also super nice guitars.

Ok since we're on the subject of LTD I'm gonna ask something that I never really understood. Isn't LTD the equivalent of a Squier to Fender? Like isn't it the low end part of ESP? Cause I always see them around I just couldn't figure out why so many people were buying them.
I would suggest Schecter Blackjack, LTD MH--1000, or an Ibanez S series, I wouldnt go Jackson just because of my dislike of their compound radius neck
Yes and No. They are like lower end ESP's but the 400 series up are really solid instruments. ESP's are MIJ (i believe, if i give any incorrect information, correct me) and the LTD's are Korean made. Squier does low end equipment pretty much exclusively.
i like the schecter blackjack atx...love the satin finish in walnut, and it comes with duncan blackouts...the ebony board looks great, and i like mahogany bodies,
to be honest, the schecter blackjack looks great i was leaning toward an ebony fretboard and couldn't find one that was in my price range. that'll be the first one i try out when i go a' lookin
Quote by qtip2293
i guess nobody likes schecter haha. yea i was looking at the dinky as well as the s series for ibanez but there are so many models i guess ill just have to set a day for guitar center thanks for your inputs though you helped me narrow my options down

looks really nice but i'm afraid ill have to get better at a 6-string before i add one more lol

Just my 2¢ on the matter I'm not a fan of the Ibanez S series or anything with some sort of ZR trem they feel nothing like a Floyd Rose.

Ibanez claims it adds stability IMHO makes them feel like a Kahler AKA mushy and unresponsive.

IMHO get on the used market and look for an original 1987-1992 RG550 or RG570, These are made in Japan the build quality is as good if not better than the current prestige models

You can get them for less than a RG370 new.

If you really want to go new get a Jackson DKMG or DK2 the JT580 is very responsive (it's a pretty high quality LRF) and if does fail an OFR is a drop in replacement.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
You really just have to go to a store and figure out what is comfortable to you. That's the most important thing.

About LTD, shecter guy is right. Except that only the 1000 models are made in Korea now, everything else if made in China. If you do go LTD, I recommend you hit up the used market and find a model that was made before 2006, before they moved all their production to indonesia/china. They were all MIK (except for models below 300, I think), and they were excellent guitars.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X