hello, i have a tube amp its the only amp i have i know that i can play a mutifx through
it but was thinking that it might not be an ideal amp for digital effects any thoughts ?
A tube amp should run a mfx unit quite well. Which tube amp do you have?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Itll be fine. What mfx unit were you thinking of?
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 13, 2011,
I think it depends on if you are using your amp models or not. If I had a tube amp I wouldn't use the amp models because my amp would have a good sound without them. If you only want to use your amp models, plug your pedal into pa. But if you are using regular effects (like dist., chorus, delay...) with your pedal then I don't see why you wouldn't use them through your amp, they will sound the same as when using solid state, I think. Nowadays almost all the stompbox effects are digital (like all the new stuff of BOSS and all Digitech's pedals).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
pod or digitech my amp has great overdrive channel but i want the multifx because
it has all the different pedals /effects ive never used before like delay's , harmonizers
and stuff no sense in buying a bunch of pedals i dont even know what they are.

srry MaggaraMarine posted at the same time ill keep that in mind about the
amp modeling
Last edited by notos at Aug 13, 2011,
Quote by kutless999
Itll be fine as long as you put it in the fx loop of your amp(does it have one?) What mfx unit were you thinking of?

Sry for double post but you can plug it straight to your amp's input. It will just sound better when plugged in the fx loop. Like delay and modulation effects sound better when they are placed after distortion (fx loop) but you can use them before distortion too. They just give different sound.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I'd be looking at the line 6 m series. It's a bunch of effects and distorions(no amp models) all in one pedal. The effects sound great for a pedal like that. http://line6.com/m5/

And poster above me, why do you have a confused smiley by the rp? Is it too hard to use? And how do you like it?
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 13, 2011,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
I think it depends on if you are using your amp models or not. If I had a tube amp I wouldn't use the amp models because my amp would have a good sound without them. If you only want to use your amp models, plug your pedal into pa. But if you are using regular effects (like dist., chorus, delay...) with your pedal then I don't see why you wouldn't use them through your amp, they will sound the same as when using solid state, I think. Nowadays almost all the stompbox effects are digital (like all the new stuff of BOSS and all Digitech's pedals).

Except for all the analogue and tube based effects that they make for people who don't like digital. Boss and Digitech aren't the only two effects manufacturers
A multifx will work fine with your amp. But lots of unanswered questions. Do you want...

1) To keep it under a certain price?
2) Need a looper?
3) Need a drum machine?
4) Want it like separate stomp boxes?
5) Need amp modeling?
6) Going to use it with a tube amp that has an FX loop?
7) Want an expression pedal?
8) Can buy used?
8) Are you located in a market that has all multifx available?
9) Need enough footswitches to control individual FX?
10) Need multiple control assignments per switch/pedal?

My favorite new multifx is the $200 Zoom G3. It is organized like 3 separate stomp boxes. It has a 40 sec looper that is synced to an internal drum machine. It lacks an expression pedal, but the $30 M-Audio EX-P can be used with it.

The Digitech RPx55 and RP1000 or RP500 series are priced reasonable and are very good performers. The RP355 is probably the best $200 unit out there, unless you want the features of the Zoom G3.

The Pod HD500 is a $100 more than the RP1000 but has some fancier FX and the Fuzzes are better. Both have amp loops for working with amp fx loops. The RP1000 has a stomp loop that is for integrating separate pedals.

On the used market the GNX4 can be found for under $200 (eBay). It's an extremely powerful unit with flexible control options and sophisticated audio routing. Plus it has a built in 8 track recorder, midi drum machine, and Jamman looper.
GNX4 is great, especially when you run it through a tube amp.

Don't worry about the effects loop. I got one on my JVM410h, but plug the GNX4 through the normal instrument input jack. Yeah, I'd get more control with the effects loop, but there wasn't enough of a difference for me to make it worth the extra set-up time, and I didn't detect a significant difference in the tone either way--unless I dialed in a dryer mix. So test out whatever hook-up options you have available and use whichever you prefer.

Using MFX with a tube amp only enhances things. Some amp/cab models might not mix well with your tube coloration, but they could be salvageable with some tweaking. You can turn them off, or you can play around and get a million more tones out of your tube amp--it just might take a lot of work tweaking eq, gain, reverb, etc. (on both the amp and the MFX) to get those tones to sound good.

I'd strongly recommend an MFX with lots of buttons and switches and expression pedals over the more simple models. It seems counterintuitive, but the more physical controls, the easier it is to use because there's less combinations you have to remember to get it to do the same thing. Also you can get it do things faster, since there's less mode switching, etc. required--often none for basic tasks, unlike on a simpler unit like an RP-355.

BTW, I have both a GNX4 and an RP-355. I use the RP-355 for simple practice and learning new songs, but it can't keep up with the GNX4 for band practice or gigging where I actualy need to switch patches and use effects on the fly.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Aug 13, 2011,
@rob904 = what other mfg. of multifx are there ?

@ fly135 = well i was only think of pedals, didn't know they were so many options availability to choose from lol that got complicated real quick .

i guess i could spend $200 if that's an average price ,what ever i can get the more options the better i suppose . i would rather have quality over quantity anyway

thanks for all the replys your knowledge is very much appreciated.
The rp355 is $200 and has many features and the quality of the effects are great for a mfx unit. I highly recommend it unless you want to use the looper and drum machine at the same time, which the g3 can do but the rp355 can't.
Quote by rob904
Except for all the analogue and tube based effects that they make for people who don't like digital. Boss and Digitech aren't the only two effects manufacturers

I know that but I said almost all.

What kind of effects do you need?

I would need only chorus and delay for start. And they will cost something like under $ 200.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
^^^ that rp355 sounds great id like to hearr a pod to hear what it sounds like

how did you record that and put it on here ? was it all trough the rp355
Thanks

I just plugged my guitar into the rp355, then i used the USB port from the unit and ran a cable to my laptop using audacity. Oh, and if you get It new, it comes with Cubase le4 software but It wouldn't install on my windows 7 laptop. As long as you have xp or maybe even vista, it should work fine.
i didn't know they were all in one recorders too and yea i got win 7 to so
don't think that would work for me .
You can use audacity Which is what I use and it works with windows 7 and is free.
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 14, 2011,
I've found Cubase to be unimpressive on my Vista machine. I got Audacity, but I record with Reaper. (Worth the $40 almost as much as Guitar Pro 6 is worth the $60 or so).
But I'm still asking you: What kind of effects do you want? Because I don't use that much effects. If you want to know what kind of effect is chorus or delay: Chorus is an effect that produces another sound that is slightly detuned. Chorus effects are used very often with cleans. It's a modulation effect and there are many kinds of modulation effects that do same kind of sounds like flanger, phaser and vibrato. If you play a lot of Van Halen a phaser would be cool too. And if you play Metallica, you should buy a wah wah because Kirk uses that effect a lot when soloing.

Delay is an echo effect. It repeats what you have played. You can change delay time, repeats and level. I like using delay when playing lead guitar and with cleans it also sounds cool. You said your amp has a good distortion so you don't need a pedal for that and I guess it has reverb too.

And you can always buy more pedals. But those multi fx units have so many unusable effects (they are too crazy sometimes). You can buy real stompboxes that are better for the same price if you don't use that much effects. I'm not saying that multi fx sucks, I like the effects on RP355 that I have but I have found that I only use three or four different kind of effects (chorus, phaser, delay, compressor; the only "must" effects of those are chorus and delay).

And BTW: I hate RP355 harmonizer (it's inaccurate) and pitch shifting (sounds like crap). If you need harmonizing or pitch shifting it could still be a good choice because good harmonizers may cost a lot, I think.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115