I usually used free programs like audacity, where it's so simple to manage your recordings, despite their minimum possibilities.

I used lately Ableton Live and Cubase and I've gotta say they are really hard to work! Why are they so complicated? The simplest task - record and export an audio file - isn't simple. I find it hard to manage all my audio files in a song (rythm guitar, lead, bass, voice etc)... Do I do something wrong? Is there any simple program that can use pod farm without making me dizzy?
Every program is hard when you first start using it. I always thought cubase was fairly easy when compared with pro tools. I've only been using PT for about a month and I'm getting used to it now.
Cubase isn't really that complicated....although I have used it for years so I may be biased.

You can manage your tracks by giving them their own group and folder (right click>add group channel track or add folder track) then dragging the tracks you want into there and setting the output to that group. That way you can solo or mute them all if you want to, as well as using 1 insert for all of the tracks inside it (for example putting an EQ on the guitar group track will EQ all of the tracks you have being sent to the group.

Or/and you can colour code them by clicking on the little coloured box above where the first track is in the arranger window.
I've always found Cubase to have the shittiest User Interface of all the DAWs.

Properly mastering your DAW takes time. Audacity isn't meant to be churning out Studio Quality Albums which is why its so simple. Cubase and most other DAWs are much more complicated so that you can achieve pro results.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
I've always found Cubase to have the shittiest User Interface of all the DAWs.

Properly mastering your DAW takes time. Audacity isn't meant to be churning out Studio Quality Albums which is why its so simple. Cubase and most other DAWs are much more complicated so that you can achieve pro results.

This.

They're complicated so that you have the option of doing really fancy things exactly how they need to be done. The ones like Audacity and GarageBand combine a bunch of steps to make it easier, but that makes them much more limited. Really, once you have an understanding of all the little steps that need to be taken, you'll see that the basics of any DAW actually are quite easy and quite logical.
Cubase is pretty easy to learn from a beginner's stand-point (or at least, it was for me). Audacity is just horrible, and makes people want instant results. If you can't figure out Cubase, look up some videos on YouTube, or Google some, there's plenty out there that should be able to show you how to do basic tasks.

I've been using Cubase and Reaper for years and have gotten very accustomed to them, I recently switched to Pro Tools 9... now THAT is a program that is confusing. Almost everything in it is different from the two I'm used to, and is forcing me to relearn everything It better be worth it, dammit!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ +1

I can't stand the interface in Pro Tools and whenever I try to get used to it I just get frustrated then switch back to good old Cubase
Quote by MatrixClaw
Cubase is pretty easy to learn from a beginner's stand-point (or at least, it was for me). Audacity is just horrible, and makes people want instant results. If you can't figure out Cubase, look up some videos on YouTube, or Google some, there's plenty out there that should be able to show you how to do basic tasks.

I've been using Cubase and Reaper for years and have gotten very accustomed to them, I recently switched to Pro Tools 9... now THAT is a program that is confusing. Almost everything in it is different from the two I'm used to, and is forcing me to relearn everything It better be worth it, dammit!

Same here. Cubase's layout is easy to me. It came with a mixer is bought 6 years ago so it's what I learned on. Just move to PT 9 as well and it's ridiculous! It doesn't make sense at all
Odd folk in here... I find Cubase to be a royal pain to use and more confusing than any of the other big ones. ProTools is a breeze.
Seems that the answer to mys question is that.. I'm too stupid!

It's not so much about 'difficulty' about Cubase or Ableton Live, it's... the idea I get that I can't do what I want. For example, I don't see the waves of my recordings... Or I should search it more.
By vjferrara Every program is hard when you first start using it. I always thought cubase was fairly easy when compared with pro tools. I've only been using PT for about a month and I'm getting used to it now.

Exactly. With anything new, you have to learn how to use it in order to understand how it works, just play around and find out where everything is and you'll eventually get used to it.
Last edited by metallicafoevaa at Aug 14, 2011,
I love Cubase, but I do admit, there are so many features and ways of managing workflow that the learning curve can be very steep.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Greendaz
Seems that the answer to mys question is that.. I'm too stupid!

It's not so much about 'difficulty' about Cubase or Ableton Live, it's... the idea I get that I can't do what I want. For example, I don't see the waves of my recordings... Or I should search it more.

"I don't see the waves of my recordings" you mean you can't see the waveform for the audio? It may be too quiet to show up. In that case you can use the slider on the right side above the scroll bar to increase the size of the wave without affecting the audio.
Quote by maggot9779
"I don't see the waves of my recordings" you mean you can't see the waveform for the audio? It may be too quiet to show up. In that case you can use the slider on the right side above the scroll bar to increase the size of the wave without affecting the audio.

Hm, you're right. Gotta work this...
Quote by seanington
You're Studpid.

Well, I think this post clearly shows your lack of intelligence is far beyond that of the OP or 95% of the people that post on here...

Congrats!
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp