When I was at college I always used to get slagged off by the other guitarists because when improvising I would only use the pentatonic minor and major scale whereas the other guys would use modes. But what I would always do is use passing notes within the pentatonic to give my licks a little bit more edge. Would you say I've slipped into a bad habit?

(I do know my modes and I use them for Jazz but that's pretty much it)
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
This is one of those situations where if you like it, go ahead and do it. What matters is you don't HAVE to use the pents or you don't feel boxed into them. Can you solo outside of them? Yes? Then it's not a bad habit to use pents for some things.
They aren't improvising using modes, they are using the major or minor scale (you are too by the way.)

What you are doing isn't inherently a bad habit. It is only a bad habit if that's what you do by default all the time because you are stuck using patterns. It's letting the guitar play you.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by DiminishedFifth
This is one of those situations where if you like it, go ahead and do it. What matters is you don't HAVE to use the pents or you don't feel boxed into them. Can you solo outside of them? Yes? Then it's not a bad habit to use pents for some things.

Yeah, I don't just use the 5 notes of the pentatonic and play in boxed positions so I just didn't really see a problem with it. Just thought it's kinda like how I play haha. Plus, the other guys were fret-w****** lol.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Quote by rockingamer2

What you are doing isn't inherently a bad habit. It is only a bad habit if that's what you do by default all the time because you are stuck using patterns. It's letting the guitar play you.

Nah of course not. If someone said to me "Improvise in a Jazz style" I wouldn't wack up the gain on my Marshall and play Slash licks all over the shop haha.

Is it a bad habit? No.
Are you limiting what you can do on your instrument? Yes

My favourite metal guitarist is Per Nilsson (Scar Symmetry).
He uses diminished scales, arpeggios etc. unconventional in his genre and that's why he has an interesting sound, that's why you should learn more scales (tools) to broaden your sound imo.
Quote by Charlie4
Is it a bad habit? No.
Are you limiting what you can do on your instrument? Yes

My favourite metal guitarist is Per Nilsson (Scar Symmetry).
He uses diminished scales, arpeggios etc. unconventional in his genre and that's why he has an interesting sound, that's why you should learn more scales (tools) to broaden your sound imo.

I do know my scales. Just choose not to use them for covering or writing the kinda music I do.

I used to used all box pentatonic just like every guitarist, but ive since learned to use modes for chords and even chromatics. my solos sound just like every other jazz guitarist, but i always remember where i came from, and i like to randomly ditch the modes and play a nasty pentatonic blues lick out of nowhere. sometimes its hard to find a good spot to do it. i usually do it where theres the least amount of background so i dont clash with the piano guy or anything, since he will be playing a Maj 3rd in his chord and the blues scale has a minor 3rd. most cases, however, i just go off of what sounds good. judges at jazz competitions are happy because i sound like every other jazz guitarist, and im happy because i get my pentatonic blues in there. i say just do what you think sounds good. I think modes sound good, i think pentatonics sound good.. so i do both.