For me the Arctic Monkeys have been the best band for along time, i have loved all 4 albums.
'11ers

also, are these threads even allowed?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
The Ergs! are the best band of the last ten years. Arctic Monkeys were good for like one year.
well tbh there arent many bands that started in the last 10 years that interested me that much.

i wont say theyre the best but theyre defenetly one of the most influential
their debut album was pretty good, right place, right sound, right time..

other than that, I don't think they are actually that good, they shine like a diamond though in the mainstream guitar-band "scene" at the moment, only because most of the other music is rubbish.
No, noteven close to the best band in the last 10 years. 1 of the most commercialy successful maybe, but not even close to the best.
I know, I think they're great.

Laughing at

a) the pic

b) the fact that a cartoon band could justifiably be one of the best of the last decade

No worries!

Good to know a few others on this site appreciate Oceansize, that band gets ignored by way too many people.
If we can take it back to 2000, I think the Hellacopters were the best actual "Modern Rock and Roll" band of the era.

Good, to the point rock 'n' roll music with tasty, melodic guitar leads and lyrics that rise above the norm for bands in their genre.

The three all-original studio albums they put out from 2000 until their break-up (High Visibility, By the Grace of God, Rock and Roll is Dead) are easily the most underrated rock n roll albums of their time, at least in the US, since it seems they had a much bigger following across the pond.

The Hellacopters = The most underrated "Rock and Roll" band of the last 20 years.

Branching out into other sub-genre's of rock and/or metal, these bands are also some of the cream of the crop of the last decade or so in my opinion:
Coheed and Cambria
Porcupine Tree
Opeth
Protest the Hero

Then if we look at the "mainstream" artists I think that one could make a good argument that the Foo Fighters might be the best, if not most consistently good, "mainstream" artists in the last 20 years.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Last edited by sjones at Aug 17, 2011,
Quote by frankv
^I don't see how The Hellacopters would be best in anything to be honest.

Also, if there's anything the Foo Fighters haven't been with their albums in the last decade, it's being consistent. There's always a few good songs, but mostly filler tracks in my opinion.

I disagree with both of those opinions, good sir.

If you think the Foo Fighter's latest release is made up of fillers then I'd say you're not all with it.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Agreed on Porcupine Tree.

but +1 on Foo Fighters being inconsistent

I would say The Mars Volta but aside from the first two albums they've been pretty hit and miss, even the live shows from what I've seen on youtube.
Last edited by BenRaah at Aug 17, 2011,
the Arctic monkeys are great (my opinion), they've got to be the best band of the last 10 years, i know the standard of bands since 2000 hasn't been great but i feel as if they were the best
Quote by sjones
I disagree with both of those opinions, good sir.

If you think the Foo Fighter's latest release is made up of fillers then I'd say you're not all with it.

I agree with Frank. Foo Fighters are god awful. Their first couple of albums were fun, but the rest is just generic, uninventive and simply boring. Especially their latest release.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by steve_muse
I agree with Frank. Foo Fighters are god awful. Their first couple of albums were fun, but the rest is just generic, uninventive and simply boring. Especially their latest release.

I disagree with both of you. I'll admit some of their songs I'm not all that big a fan of, but the Foo's are, all things being equal, are a rock band making rock music. If you're looking for something "inventive" that's pushing the boundaries of what rock is, you're looking in the wrong direction. It seems you're judging them with the rubric for a prog band, not a rock and roll band.

And while I say their music isn't the most "inventive" thing I've ever heard, I feel that Wasting Light is a pretty fresh album. Well structured, dynamic modern rock songs.

Everyone is free to their own opinion, but to say Wasting Light is a generic album is just utter nonsense. If you think that, you've obviously listened to it either (a) in bits and pieces and not in it's entirety and/or (b) with gobs of earwax (a.k.a. a preconceived notion about the album).
Quote by Zeppelin71
Quote by sjones
I disagree with both of you. I'll admit some of their songs I'm not all that big a fan of, but the Foo's are, all things being equal, are a rock band making rock music. If you're looking for something "inventive" that's pushing the boundaries of what rock is, you're looking in the wrong direction. It seems you're judging them with the rubric for a prog band, not a rock and roll band.

And while I say their music isn't the most "inventive" thing I've ever heard, I feel that Wasting Light is a pretty fresh album. Well structured, dynamic modern rock songs.

Everyone is free to their own opinion, but to say Wasting Light is a generic album is just utter nonsense. If you think that, you've obviously listened to it either (a) in bits and pieces and not in it's entirety and/or (b) with gobs of earwax (a.k.a. a preconceived notion about the album).

Well maybe rock and roll is just plain boring these days. I listened to Wasting Light in its entirety and yes, White Limo is awesome which is a shame because the rest is inconsistent in terms of quality.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Meh. Their first two albums were pretty good, Humbug was boring, and I haven't got around to getting their new album yet.
Arcade Fire anyone?
Quote by Pregowski92
their debut album was pretty good, right place, right sound, right time..

other than that, I don't think they are actually that good, they shine like a diamond though in the mainstream guitar-band "scene" at the moment, only because most of the other music is rubbish.

I don't need to add a word.
Quote by mikeyknowsbetter
Muse anyone?

Saw AM live recently and the thought popped in my mind that maybe they were the best new band from the last 10 years, due to the great songs : albums ratio and the number of really memorable riffs and guitar tones.

But then I remembered Muse and had to put them ahead. Those 3 guys have covered a lot more ground, been more innovative, and measuered objectively have been more influential world-wide.

I saw Muse live before, too, and their act just blows the Arctic Monkeys out of the water. Hell, Muse blows Rush, Iron Maiden, ZZ Top, and AC/DC (all in their heydays) out of the water as well.

I'm hard pressed to come up with anything American from the last decade that comes close. The White Stripes comes to mind, but they were so ecclectic that few of their albums kept up the intensity throughout. Too many throw-away songs in my opinion, (e.g., Jolene, St. James Infirmary Blues, Prickly Thorn...), although their best surpasses most Arctic Monkeys and Muse (e.g., Fell in Love With a Girl, Hypnotize, Lafayette Blues, Hand Springs, Conquest, Cold Cold Night, Catch Hell Blues, Canon, etc).

All the other strong American acts I can think of are either too "90s" (e.g., Nirvana, Garbage, the Offspring, TMBG, early Green Day), not prolific, time-tested, or influential enoug (e.g., Cake, Band of Skulls, The Black Keys).

Anyway just my opinion, for what it's worth (and I know that and $5 will buy most folks a cup of coffee.)
Could think of alot of bands I like more than Arctic Monkeys or muse in the past ten years.

Nothington. Dead to me. Brand New. Chinese Telephones. Iron Chic. Nightlights. The copyrights. House boat (if you can ignore the whiny vocals). Elway.

Least in my opinion, they're alot better then AM or muse.
Quote by frankv
A challenger appears:

Although they might not even be a band at all.

This.

Also, the Strokes anyone? Is This It is arguably the best album from the last decade, and their other stuff was great too.
Last edited by vagelier at Oct 6, 2011,
Lateralus is definitely the best album of the last decade, released ten years ago. It will be remembered as was Led Zeppelin IV and Dark Side of the Moon. It's not even close really to any other band, and I feel like I'm being fairly objective. Anyone who can't see that really doesn't understand Tool's influence.
Quote by farcry
Tool, Kyuss, Nine Inch Nails, QotSA all disagree.

Kyuss? Last 10 years? And Tool have released a whopping one album in the last decade.

In the end there's too many bands, too many styles, too many opinions and far too little perspective to make the call. We can still bicker about it though, because it's kind of fun.

Edit: I know criminally little about The Strokes, but I keep hearing their first album was the shit, their second was a bit shit and their latest is hit and shit.
Last edited by frankv at Oct 6, 2011,
Absolutely not. I saw them play live and was not impressed. They are decent when talking about modern rock on the radio or something, but I found them to be pretty unremarkable especially considering how highly everyone seems to think of them. There are so many better bands and I think a lot of people are just jumping on the bandwagon when it comes to liking this band. Like they just say they like them for the sole reason that they are a newer band and fresh and edgy when they've only heard a few of their songs.
Last edited by GoToSleep at Oct 11, 2011,