Page 1 of 2
Right up front, I'm not promoting my cover band. That's why it's in the Pit rather than Promote your Band.

I'm the guitarist btw

So we've got about 15 songs covered and its starting to seem like the best, for me at least, is behind us. More and more of the next several songs will begin to become more dance oriented: Shots by LMFAO and I'm on a Boat by Lonely Islands (both will be more rock/metal oriented though). But other songs coming just seem to be of the 3-4 chord variety. Thankfully the bassist is like minded to me and wants some more metal cover that are still catchy (Last Serenade by KSE, I will be Heard by Hatebreed, and Becoming the Bull by Atreyu).

So the Q is, How would you motivate yourself to continue to do so many covers you don't exactly care for?

Before someone suggests it: I'm not taking the bassist to go start another band.
I like playing with these guys, and their all my friends.
Quote by bdof

So the Q is, How would you motivate yourself to continue to do so many covers you don't exactly care for?

I would get famous with that cover band and get massive amounts of womenz...

Vagina is the most powerful weapon... ALWAYS!
Quote by G.Krizzel
I would get famous with that cover band and get massive amounts of womenz...

Vagina is the most powerful weapon... ALWAYS!

That was kinda, sorta the reason we started. Not to get poon, since half of us are married, but to get recognition and stage presence in front of 300+ people crowds
Ive done the cover thing a few times and it can be hard, sometimes. The only thing you can do is if the songs are not your favorites, or suck, just thrive off the crowds response. Depending on venue metal doesn't go over so good many times. I'm a metal freak and have had to endure blink 182, me first and the gimme gimme covers. Lets face it a cover band is a human jukebox and ya gotta play what the crowd wants to hear. You're not an opener or in any kinda showcase so suck it up. I've learned at time to love songs I hate just because of the response of the crowd. THe only other alternative is not to recreate covers but to re- interpret them. Then again if you go metal on stevie ray vaughn in a blues house they will run you outta town!!!
Quote by Mr Winters
Doing originals is not an option?

Not to toot my own horn, but i'm the only member with original material. All of it being rather heavy metal. Besides, the venues we're aiming for are not that kinda crowd.
Quote by bdof
That was kinda, sorta the reason we started. Not to get poon, since half of us are married, but to get recognition and stage presence in front of 300+ people crowds

lol, you said "married"...
Quote by pushingthrough
Ive done the cover thing a few times and it can be hard, sometimes. The only thing you can do is if the songs are not your favorites, or suck, just thrive off the crowds response. Depending on venue metal doesn't go over so good many times. I'm a metal freak and have had to endure blink 182, me first and the gimme gimme covers. Lets face it a cover band is a human jukebox and ya gotta play what the crowd wants to hear. You're not an opener or in any kinda showcase so suck it up. I've learned at time to love songs I hate just because of the response of the crowd. THe only other alternative is not to recreate covers but to re- interpret them. Then again if you go metal on stevie ray vaughn in a blues house they will run you outta town!!!

Dude, reading your post was like reading exactly how I feel. Especially the thriving off of the crowd response part.
Example: Lollipop by Framing Hanely. Not a fan, but i KNOW the women in the crowd will eat that shit up like crazy. So i play the **** out of it.
Quote by G.Krizzel
lol, you said "married"...

So......
Not to each other obviously. I'm single so it rocks for me.

We're all in the USAF as well, so we still have careers and lives on the side
Quote by bdof
So......
Not to each other obviously. I'm single so it rocks for me.

We're all in the USAF as well, so we still have careers and lives on the side

So when you meet a nice girl in a bar, you'll be like "Hey, I'm a fighter pilot and stuff..."

Yeah, you should totally do that.
Quote by G.Krizzel
So when you meet a nice girl in a bar, you'll be like "Hey, I'm a fighter pilot and stuff..."

Yeah, you should totally do that.

When I used to wear a flight suit, yeah. Bitches love one-zy pajamas
bdof got knows the deal. It can be kinda cool as long as your goal isnt "let me show them hoe heavy I can Rock!!!" Find another project on the side that get you off, and keep the covers for income and fun, let the other band be for cred!!!
Quote by pushingthrough
just remember cover bands PAY a-lot of original gigs do not.

Once again, exactly my mindset.
Personal creative juices will make me quit to play originals one day though. Don't care if its in front of 30 people instead of 300+.
Quote by pushingthrough
bdof got knows the deal. It can be kinda cool as long as your goal isnt "let me show them hoe heavy I can Rock!!!" Find another project on the side that get you off, and keep the covers for income and fun, let the other band be for cred!!!

Jesus dude......are we ****ing twins or something? LOL.
The idea was to do cover to big crowds for practice so that i can build up charisma to play my music with personality. Got 8 songs so far better than this shit i cover by a mile
TS im in exactly the same predicament, Im open to play a variety of stuff, I listen more or less all rock and metal aslong as the vocals arent cookie monster shite, although my favourite is 80s metal, however my bassist only likes classic rock and alternative yet refuses to play classic rock because he doesnt think we can do classic rock songs any justice. My drummer doesnt care what he plays and my other guitarist barely turns up so we are stuck doing alternative rock. Id form an 80s metal band in a flash except I dont know anyone to form a band with.
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by RetroGunslinger
TS im in exactly the same predicament, Im open to play a variety of stuff, I listen more or less all rock and metal aslong as the vocals arent cookie monster shite, although my favourite is 80s metal, however my bassist only likes classic rock and alternative yet refuses to play classic rock because he doesnt think we can do classic rock songs any justice. My drummer doesnt care what he plays and my other guitarist barely turns up so we are stuck doing alternative rock. Id form an 80s metal band in a flash except I dont know anyone to form a band with.

Thats the predicament. Having to find a combo of this: Like minded musicians that like what you like, competent musicians, similar tunings, similar schedules, and near you. It's tough, and I live i Las Vegas
bdof, that was my bands original intent and then once they saw a little cash, and gigs everywhere everyone bailed on me and the idea of originals opening for national acts. Next thing you knew I was in a cover band playing once a week!! I was like what the f@#K!!!!!!
fat stax
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
instead of doing rock and metal covers, do jazz fusion and free jazz covers. or wear a salmon suit on stage every time you play. that makes everything more fun.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by pushingthrough
bdof, that was my bands original intent and then once they saw a little cash, and gigs everywhere everyone bailed on me and the idea of originals opening for national acts. Next thing you knew I was in a cover band playing once a week!! I was like what the f@#K!!!!!!

It's different for us i guess. The economy sucks dick and seeing a lil money changes things. We on the other hand, have steady jobs with guaranteed paychecks and education benifits. We're just not as desperate for cash
Quote by L2112Lif
Okay, I'll revise

Lrn2mixgenres

Lollipop, I stand alone, Though glass, Down with the sickness, Crazy bitch, Boys of summer, Beat it, Man in the box, Shots, Toxicity, Animal i've become, The way you lie, Killing in the name of, Bad company, Bad girlfriend, Kissed a girl, Bodies.....isn't mixed/varied enough?

Well damn......
anyways. Maybe think of it as your music makes people happy?
Although if this isn't enough to make you happy then ditch it. No point in living if you aren't doing what you enjoy
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Last edited by Wesseem at Dec 21, 2011,
Quote by bdof
Lollipop, I stand alone, Though glass, Down with the sickness, Crazy bitch, Boys of summer, Beat it, Man in the box, Shots, Toxicity, Animal i've become, The way you lie, Killing in the name of, Bad company, Bad girlfriend, Kissed a girl, Bodies.....isn't mixed/varied enough?

Well damn......

it's all hard rock and pop. not varied at all.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by bdof

Well damn......

None of that is varied. Or metal.
Quote by pushingthrough

I love Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies
you're a stone fox
just think,
after every show, you have a chance of getting laid.
is that not motivation enough?
Yeah I was in a similar thing where the band's sound became very monotone and when I spiced it up they didn't like it, so I left.

The main objective is to enjoy yourself and if you're not, that's a problem. Talk it over, if no one else is up for change, it'd be wise to go.
Drugs

Alot of them

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Quote by bdof
Not to toot my own horn, but i'm the only member with original material. All of it being rather heavy metal. Besides, the venues we're aiming for are not that kinda crowd.

The venues are not aiming to hear a band that isn't a cover band? I find that hard to believe, my band gets loads of gigs in various venues and we play usually 1 cover each set, 2 at most.

Honestly i'd hate to be in a cover band anyway but if it was songs i don't even enjoy much then i'd flat out refuse to take part. Make them realise how to jam like they should and come up with songs yourselves that way, if you can't do that then it sounds like you need to start a new band with the bassist.
Those songs you don't like? Yeah, well just remember that all the drunk chicks you're playing in front of really DO like them.
Page 1 of 2