Got a bunch of new pedals over the last month. First up is a Fulltone '70 fuzz.

It's a Si Fuzz Face clone with extra output and a mids control. Sounds kind of bright and piercing with the gain all the way up but it smooths out considerably if you roll it back a notch and doesn't lose much distortion. Very low noise floor that I like. It sounds better with a battery or by sagging the voltage from a power supply. Either way, you get the same result. I choose the latter for reliability/consistency. Built in typical Fulltone fashion (ie, like a tank). Excellent value new or used.

Price Paid: $80 shipped

Next up is a Skreddy Screw Driver Deluxe.

This is an overdrive made by a guy named Marc Ahlfs. People love it, especially over on TGP. It's like an OD with fuzzy edges and I like it a lot. However, I owned one before and wasn't a huge fan so consistency may or may not be an issue. Very dynamic, excellent noise floor, tons of mojo.

Price Paid: $235 shipped

Next is a Skreddy Pig Mine.

It's a Big Muff clone with flatter mids, meant to hone in on mid-late 70s Gilmour tone. It does it very well with a low noise floor. There's also a switch to boost the mids if you're not cutting through enough. Personally I like the stock setting (lean) but the fat mode may be someone else's thing. Doesn't do big wall of sound stuff as good as other Muffs but it's excellent for smooth, singing sustain. I have my Manx Loaghtan for wall of fuzz so it didn't matter much to me. If you're looking for versatility, this isn't the Muff you want.

Price Paid: $195 shipped

Next up is a Bearfoot Dyna Red Distortion.

Designed by Bjorn Juhl in Sweden and built in America at a lower cost. Sounds okay. When I first plugged it in, I dug it but as soon as I switched to my Fetto and back, it sounded like ass in comparison. The low end is cut too much for my tastes and the highs are very pedal-y. Build quality is okay, paint is fragile (I've already knocked a big chunk off the front in the 2 weeks I've had it). Noise floor is good and it's responsive to rolling your guitar volume back without thinning out your tone further. Does low gain much better than the mid-high gain it's advertised to do.

Price Paid: Fuzz Face/Rangemaster dual build

Next is a Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe.

First, was too lazy to retake this pic as it was meant to show the loot that came in on Wednesday. You can see the pedal good enough.

I won this brand new in a charity auction which wound up going for $50 less than they are at dealers. When I first plugged it in, there was no vibe at all. Just a change in tone. So I opened it up and found that the lamp driver was turned all the way down. Turned it up to where there was a nice throb and now it sounds great. Can do all of the Hendrix/Trower stuff my Deja Vibe does along with faster/slower speeds with more/less depth with more volume. Great for ambient stuff. Build quality is awesome, swirl may be hit or miss with people (I dig it) but a purple one is available at $275 normally.

Price Paid: $275 shipped

Last up is a Himmelstrutz Gramps fuzz.

As my last two NPDs have shown, I dig Joakim's stuff. I found killer deal on this and had to jump on it. Can do dark/smooth, bright/snarly/raspy and everything in between with a few knob twists and flipping the voicing switch. The cream control is the fuzz knob and the tone control acts like a fattening knob. Down low on the tone control is a thin/raspy thing and up high is Fuzz Face/Big Muff wall of sound. Noise floor could be a bit better but I haven't reversed it to see if the noise is fixable yet. Build quality is awesome otherwise.

Price Paid: $199 shipped

Here's what my board looks like as of right now:

Everything else is on the floor beside it and gets swapped in whenever I feel like it.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 13, 2011,
Wow, the graphics on those pedals look great! How much better are those pedals than the cheaper ones?

Congrats

HNPD!
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 13, 2011,
you make better stuff than that overpriced cork stuffed crap.

why you bother spending money on anything but parts escapes me.

happy new i wasted money on crap someone else built day.

i am disappoint. i thought i knew you man.

lol you'll probably make big bucks selling it off on tgp.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by kutless999
Wow, the graphics on those pedals look great! How much better are those pedals than the cheaper ones?

There really isn't any cheap comparison to the Himmelstrutz line. They sound different and respond differently to any other dirt pedal I've played/owned. IMO, there's no solid state pedal out there that can touch them for what they do. The Kingsley is my #1 OD but it haz t00bz.

The rest of them may or may not be worth it to some. The '70 is cheaper than the Si FF from Dunlop. Both are great, the Fulltone is more versatile. The cheaper Fulltone Deja Vibe and super cheap Danelectro vibe sound pretty good. The Mojo Vibe just does more as the LFO circuit is completely different, though the phasing stages are the same. The EH Big Muff is good enough for most. The Skreddy Muffs are very specialized and most are rare/discontinued because of that. Screwdriver has it's own thing going and is cool. I'd take plenty of pedals over the Bearfoot. It's meh, especially for the $222 new price. Most of the pedals I own because they're versatile.

Quote by AcousticMirror
too gear page didnt read

Quote by gregs1020
you make better stuff than that overpriced cork stuffed crap.

why you bother spending money on anything but parts escapes me.

happy new i wasted money on crap someone else built day.

i am disappoint. i thought i knew you man.

lol you'll probably make big bucks selling it off on tgp.

Too lazy to build these days. All of my stuff is packed away in boxes. I'll get back into it in a month or so once I've settled into Dallas.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 13, 2011,
Quote by mmolteratx
There really isn't any cheap comparison to the Himmelstrutz line. They sound different and respond differently to any other dirt pedal I've played/owned. IMO, there's no solid state pedal out there that can touch them for what they do. The Kingsley is my #1 OD but it haz t00bz.

The rest of them may or may not be worth it to some. The '70 is cheaper than the Si FF from Dunlop. Both are great, the Fulltone is more versatile. The cheaper Fulltone Deja Vibe and super cheap Danelectro vibe sound pretty good. The Mojo Vibe just does more as the LFO circuit is completely different, though the phasing stages are the same. The EH Big Muff is good enough for most. The Skreddy Muffs are very specialized and most are rare/discontinued because of that. Screwdriver has it's own thing going and is cool. I'd take plenty of pedals over the Bearfoot. It's meh, especially for the $222 new price. Most of the pedals I own because they're versatile.

Ah I see. Thanks

Clips?
Makes me wanna buy pedals...

HNPD mate
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by mmolteratx
Too lazy to build these days. All of my stuff is packed away in boxes. I'll get back into it in a month or so once I've settled into Dallas.

ok i forgive you. just sayin, i doubt they have any mojo you don't.
Quote by gregs1020
ok i forgive you. just sayin, i doubt they have any mojo you don't.

I don't haz mojo. I haz mil-spec. Can't wait to get started on this though.

E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by kutless999
Ah I see. Thanks

Clips?

I'll get some eventually. I'm moving to Dallas in a week and everything but what's on my board right now is packed up. Probably gonna pick up a new interface and a couple mics to see what works and then I'll do some demo vids.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
I don't haz mojo. I haz mil-spec. Can't wait to get started on this though.

is the mil spec hiding?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by mmolteratx
I'll get some eventually. I'm moving to Dallas in a week and everything but what's on my board right now is packed up. Probably gonna pick up a new interface and a couple mics to see what works and then I'll do some demo vids.

Ok, have a safe trip
Happy new pedal day mm, been feelin' the fuzz eh?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by AcousticMirror
is the mil spec hiding?

RN55s, 2% WIMAs, 1/16" FR4, low ESR electros, board mounted on stainless steel standoffs, etc. Once I finalize a design I'm gonna have boards fabbed. Only thing not mil-spec is gonna be the pots since they need to fit in a little enclosure.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
RN55s, 2% WIMAs, 1/16" FR4, low ESR electros, board mounted on stainless steel standoffs, etc. Once I finalize a design I'm gonna have boards fabbed. Only thing not mil-spec is gonna be the pots since they need to fit in a little enclosure.

lol your pots aren't milspec.

bourns 95 foo.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
very nice

lol at all the tgp/cork accusations
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What kind of camera is that?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
sell any of them yet?
Quote by tr3nt
What kind of camera is that?

Nikon D5000.

Quote by gregs1020
sell any of them yet?

Nah, but Wouter wants the '70.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

i hope you inflated your "purchase price".
Camera rocks but I can't afford it.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Quote by gregs1020
i hope you inflated your "purchase price".

I usually only flip for profit on TGP and eBay. UG typically has my lowest price where I break even. I like everyone here better, other than EG tards and Pit Monkeys.

Quote by tr3nt
Camera rocks but I can't afford it.

You can pick them up used fairly cheap. Only thing is you risk the previous owner damaging the lens. I love mine, though I'll upgrade to something with tougher construction eventually. Metal body DSLRs are crazy expensive though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

This is my kinda NPD, I wish I has that many fuzzes ...

How do you find the Red Witch for the wall-of-fuzz stuff? That's really what I'm looking for in a fuzz, like a Dino Jr type thing - currently got my eye on a Blackout Musket Fuzz, a Throbak Fuzz Haze or the Red Witch. Any thoughts?
Quote by mmolteratx
I usually only flip for profit on TGP and eBay. UG typically has my lowest price where I break even. I like everyone here better, other than EG tards and Pit Monkeys.

this is why i love you man.

that and the mojo in your soldering iron.

Quote by SugarRush66
This is my kinda NPD, I wish I has that many fuzzes ...

How do you find the Red Witch for the wall-of-fuzz stuff? That's really what I'm looking for in a fuzz, like a Dino Jr type thing - currently got my eye on a Blackout Musket Fuzz, a Throbak Fuzz Haze or the Red Witch. Any thoughts?

The Red Witch is actually the Empress chorus. Though I've played the Fuzz God II. It's okay. Not my first choice for wall of sound though. For that, I'd have to go with the Catalinbread Manx Loaghtan or Blackout Musket. The Manx just sounds freaking huge. Awesome for sludge/doom/unstoppable wall of fuzz stuff. The Black Arts Pharaoh is supposed to be pretty killer for that stuff as well but I haven't tried one. Dino Jr. is pretty much all Muffs IIRC and the Manx, Musket and Pharaoh all have a strong Muff heritage but with modern features and noise levels.

Quote by gregs1020
this is why i love you man.

that and the mojo in your soldering iron.

E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

And have a safe trip to Dallas