Page 1 of 2
Source

INDIANAPOLIS — At least four people were killed and a dozen were injured Saturday night when stage rigging collapsed after a storm gust, trapping and injuring fans at a Sugarland concert at the Indiana State Fair, officials said.

NBC station WTHR reported the outdoor stage was set up for the Sugarland concert at the state fairgrounds. Up to 200 were seated in a VIP area called the "Sugar Pit."

"It was like in slow motion, you couldn't believe it was actually happening," said concert-goer Amy Weathers.

Medics and rescue crews throughout Indianapolis were converging on the State Fairgrounds after the Hoosier Lottery Grandstand stage rigging fell.

Preparations were under way at 10 p.m. local time to inflate large air bags to lift the rigging from the track onto which it fell, the Indianapolis Star reported.

Fallen lighting rigging extended about 15 feet onto track, where some concert-goers were seated between the stage and the grandstand.

Concert-goers told WTHR that a gust came from the west and rocked the rigging, causing some panic in the crowd prior to the stage's collapse. Evacuation efforts were already under way and the concert had been put on hold minutes before the collapse.

Emergency workers established a command center and triage area to tend to the injured. Those hurt were being moved to a tunnel below the grandstand stage. A hole was reportedly being dug in the dirt track to try to reach people trapped beneath the rigging.

Indiana Homeland Security has declared a Level 1 emergency.

Dave Lindquist, music journalist for The Indianapolis Star, reported on Twitter, "Tragedy at fair concert. Entire stage collapses on track." He also wrote that "perhaps a dozen injured people have been removed from track on stretcher-type boards."

I can attest to how bad the winds are at times tonight since I'm only an hour from Indy.

My thoughts go out to anyone affected.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Last edited by zgr0826 at Aug 13, 2011,
What's up with State Fairs and issues? I mean Wisconsin's State Fair was on the news like 2 days ago about a fight and now kids under 18 (I think) can't go after 5 pm without an adult. But I don't live in Wisconsin; so I don't care. But tragic as to what happened in Indy.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by wizards?
Minnesota State Fair>All other State Fairs.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Dude, waaaayyy tooo soon.

Quote by ErikLensherr

A lot of my family likes Sugarland.

But only the ones in Indiana.

Strange...

Sucks that people were trying to have a good evening and this happens, I'm sure everyone who was there was shaken. I can't imagine going to a concert or something and seeing people die.
A very unfortunate, freak accident.

Perhaps an indicator of my cultural illiteracy, I was unaware of the existence of state fairs until recently.
Quote by Dodeka

Perhaps an indicator of my cultural illiteracy, I was unaware of the existence of state fairs until recently.

They're pretty awesome actually. Ours routinely pulls in 170,000+ every day of the fair. Plus how can anyone say no to artery clogging deep fried food, tractors, and the greatest people watching you will ever find all in one place?
I'm not sure how stable these state fair accusations are.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I had friends who were at that concert. None of them were affected by it as far as I know.

I was actually driving home when the storm hit my area. The wind instantly went insane and I thought I was gonna get blown off of the road for a second. Tree limbs and dust clouds were everywhere. Pretty crazy.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
shit son
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Yeah the wind here is insane, I can't believe they even thought they were going to go through with the concert in the first place. The footage seems pretty shocking.

link to footage
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by lushacrous
Yeah the wind here is insane, I can't believe they even thought they were going to go through with the concert in the first place. The footage seems pretty shocking.

link to footage

Holy shit dude

Uhhh... this is why I don't like going outside !
I originally read this as "At least 4 Indians killed at state fair"
Last edited by WaterGod at Aug 14, 2011,
the first time i went to a state fair in NY we had really bad storms and like 7 people died,and i had the flu and the power was out in the hotel and i had to puke in the dark and we almost got a tree through our house

state fairs are cursed..

also, the stage rigging reminded me of that south park episode...
you brought a hooker to church?
man, down here it was nuts. downed trees blocking my way to the expressway. was almost late to a gig. a giant billboard crashed into the shell station next to it. i've never seen something like that in person. didn't land on any cars though. just part of the roof over the gas pumps.

insane. haven't seen chaos like that since the windstorm in '08. and this was simply MAYBE 15 minutes of rain and wind this time. absolutely bonkers.

my gig tomorrow already got cancelled because so much equipment was destroyed they can no longer afford to pay us.
#DTWD
State fairs suck.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
Quote by Eric_Fail
State fairs suck.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by zgr0826

Never actually been to one, in fact this is the first time I've heard of them but they sound terrible. I think I'll stay at home and not get squished by a boulder thank you very much.
I'mCool

Quote by StewieSwan
Don't you have some tourists to beat up?

Quote by Zoot Allures
Nah he's too busy feeling like a big man hitting women he knows to 'put them in their place'.
that video made me sad
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
DUDE. I'm in Indy right now because my dad lives here. I went outside a couple of hours ago and the wind was blowing extremely hard. It was nearly moving me.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
Quote by lushacrous

link to footage

I didn't understand the gravity of the situation until I saw that video (pun not intended). That was just crazy.
Yeah, Louisville got pooped on as well, it's a mess. I have no doubt at all as to how that could have happened, there was no way they could have prepared for it. I hope to never witness something like that in person, tragic.
Quote by zgr0826
Source

I can attest to how bad the winds are at times tonight since I'm only an hour from Indy.

My thoughts go out to anyone affected.

More like Windy, amiright?
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
That video is still shocking to me even after I've watched it several times.

Quote by Epicbizzjizz
More like Windy, amiright?

Must... not... laugh...

Quote by ErikLensherr

You know you're a bad person when you see a depressing thread title like this, notice it has 26 posts, and almost decide not to click on it because all the good puns were probably already posted.
Here's a better video of it. Warning: this is pretty hard to watch. Death toll is at 5 now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRkdwrmzYXg
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by lushacrous
Here's a better video of it. Warning: this is pretty hard to watch. Death toll is at 5 now

Fucking hell man that's horrible
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by lushacrous

I still can't believe what I'm seeing... I mean, it's almost like some part of my wants to believe this is just a movie, but I know this is real, and people died.

Life is ****ed up.

Quote by ErikLensherr

America has shit weather every day Americans think it is just mother nature and completely natural to have freak weather everyday. People die everyday. End of.
Last edited by Sir-Shredalot at Aug 14, 2011,
Half of my family lives in Indiana and they were there. just not to see the Stage collapse.
Apparently this is a signature

Yessir it is
Quote by JayT44
I had friends who were at that concert. None of them were affected by it as far as I know.

I was actually driving home when the storm hit my area. The wind instantly went insane and I thought I was gonna get blown off of the road for a second. Tree limbs and dust clouds were everywhere. Pretty crazy.

Yeah, I was at a surprise birthday party for a coworker on the south side and you could see the front rolling in and then all of a sudden the wind just came out of nowhere. They had a screen porch thing on their back patio and it went right over, almost hit my coworker's wife in the head. It was crazy.
Quote by bklinger83
Yeah, I was at a surprise birthday party for a coworker on the south side and you could see the front rolling in and then all of a sudden the wind just came out of nowhere. They had a screen porch thing on their back patio and it went right over, almost hit my coworker's wife in the head. It was crazy.

That was just a really bad storm front. A lot of New Albany doesn't have power right now. My girlfriend is one of the only apartments with power in her entire complex.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by wizards?
Minnesota State Fair>All other State Fairs.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
Why? Cuz you can buy like 500 different heart-attacks-on-a-stick?

OT: This is quite sad. Condolences go out to their friends and family. I also wish the injured a good recovery.
Page 1 of 2