Hey guys. I'm thinking I might buy a brown Epiphone Dot off of craigslist and try to get it close to Tom DeLonge's signature 335 guitar. If I do buy it, I was gonna get A Dirty Fingers bridge pup to wire in, since that's what he uses. I'm also thinking of just sticking some Duct Tape on there as well to mimmick his racing stripe.

What do you guys think, should I do it? If so, any other suggestions?
Quote by savage94
put the guitar in a big bin and light a yellow smoke bomb at the bottom and put the lid on. i think it should work.
Last edited by odstwarhead at Aug 13, 2011,
You're going to buy a $400 guitar, wire in a $100+ pickup and then just 'stick some duct tape on it'?

Seriously?
I found one for just over $100 on craigslist. I would rather do a proper paint job, but I honestly don't trust myself removing the bridge anchors
Quote by savage94
put the guitar in a big bin and light a yellow smoke bomb at the bottom and put the lid on. i think it should work.
Well, it's your money and your guitar, so you can do whatever you want. Look for the pickup on the bay too, it'll probably be cheaper.

Rickedit: Couldn't you just tape off the anchors if you don't want to remove them?
Wine is fine but whiskey's quicker!
So you love Tom DeLonge enough to buy a guitar and a brand new Gibson pickup, but not enough to do a good job on the paint?

I think you need to think this through some more.
Quote by rickygarcia90
Well, it's your money and your guitar, so you can do whatever you want. Look for the pickup on the bay too, it'll probably be cheaper.

Yes, sir. I found one for $74 earlier. If the guitar wasn't as cheap as it is, I would never put duct tape on it, but meh, $100 doesn't seem too bad imo. I was thinking of spray-painting the blink smiley on it too, but would that hold up on the finish, or just look like complete crap?
Quote by savage94
If you get a good stencil, it should be alright. Keep in mind, though, that if you spray it directly on the current finish that it has, there's a chance that it may chip off in the future. The proper way to do it would be to wet sand the guitar with a light grit, spray your smileys and/or racing stripes, then clear over that.
Wine is fine but whiskey's quicker!
Isn't there aready an Epiphone version of his guitar? That saves the whole ducktape thing (which would probably pretty bad), then you just gotta put a Genuine Dirty Fingers pickup in there and you're set! (That is if the Epi doesn't come with one, I cant remember)

Edit: Yehh, there is an Epi, so that sorts the paint job side! Plus, it has the Dirty fingers pickup already!

fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4278502288971170194&sa=X&ei=HqRHTsqJO9GyhAeCrr23Bg&ved=0CCkQ8wIwAA">fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4278502288971170194&sa=X&ei=HqRHTsqJO9GyhAeCrr23Bg&ved=0CCkQ8wIwAA">http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=tom+delonge+epiphone&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4278502288971170194&sa=X&ei=HqRHTsqJO9GyhAeCrr23Bg&ved=0CCkQ8wIwAA

I bet you can find one cheap somewhere
Last edited by jaybals at Aug 14, 2011,
Quote by jaybals
Isn't there aready an Epiphone version of his guitar? That saves the whole ducktape thing (which would probably pretty bad), then you just gotta put a Genuine Dirty Fingers pickup in there and you're set! (That is if the Epi doesn't come with one, I cant remember)

Edit: Yehh, there is an Epi, so that sorts the paint job side! Plus, it has the Dirty fingers pickup already!

fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4278502288971170194&sa=X&ei=HqRHTsqJO9GyhAeCrr23Bg&ved=0CCkQ8wIwAA">fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4278502288971170194&sa=X&ei=HqRHTsqJO9GyhAeCrr23Bg&ved=0CCkQ8wIwAA">http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=tom+delonge+epiphone&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4278502288971170194&sa=X&ei=HqRHTsqJO9GyhAeCrr23Bg&ved=0CCkQ8wIwAA

I bet you can find one cheap somewhere

Thanks...I realized Epiphone made one when I woke up this morning. Duct tape was a horrible idea. I don't know what I was thinking, I must have been too tired last night

I'm just going to start saving up for the Epi, and then spray paint the blink smiley on it.
Quote by savage94