Was playing with lights on my guitar the week after I got it...a blueridge br-40 dreadnought.
I was breaking strings every day pretty much - at the saddle.

I use Martin Marquis btw.

Got it setup for mediums by a guy who really seemed to know what he was doing (he filed down the saddle and nut and adjusted the truss)...told him about the breakage problem and he said it should be better.

It played noticeably better after the setup...so at least im thinking he knew what he was doing.

Now with mediums I break at the saddle every 3-4 days, almost always the D or G. I still can't afford that lol.

Granted, I am a heavy player, but I've played for maybe 3-4 years so I don't dig with the pick or strum entirely too hard, I just play percussively, with lots of upstrokes and muting. I even switched to light .5mm picks for most rhythm playing even though I'm a heavy pick kinda guy...still didnt help. I really wanted the guy to put heavy strings on but he said it would warp the neck in a few years...but I dont care and will probably have a nicer acoustic in a few years time.

Any opinions on what I should do? Is the heavy string thing true in your experience, and can't the warping just be adjusted over time?

I'm not really open to changing my style...I don't think i should have to change my style around my guitar. Thanks alot
Last edited by mason7373 at Aug 13, 2011,
If it's breaking right at the saddle every time, it means there's probably some sort of sharp point there that's too much for the string to handle. Perhaps try rounding off the contact point on the saddle with fine grit sandpaper? Something like 600 or 1000 grit should be more than enough.

Another possibility is that it could be your playing. Too hard, perhaps?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
have a look at the saddle without string on at all. It may be too loose in the bridge plate & allowing the saddle to roll forward slightly (as the strings are brought to tension) causing the sharp edge of the saddle to be the "fretting" point. That will do it
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Any opinions on what I should do? Is the heavy string thing true in your experience, and can't the warping just be adjusted over time?

Depends on the guitar. Some will handle heavy gauge strings better than others.

As the above posters have said, an issue with your saddle seems very likely. Have a look for a sharp edge or burr on the saddle. If you can't see anything take it to a qualified tech.
sounds to me like a saddle issue, too. it's possible that "the guy" who worked on your guitar didn't know his stuff that well - every person i've ever seen with this problem had sharp edges inside the slots in the nut. never once have i seen anyone break strings like this by playing hard, and i used to hang out with drunked punk rockers who played as hard as they could on their acoustics.

i've played a LOT of blueridges, and not only have i never had this problem: i've never seen anyone in stores have it, either, nor do the luthiers who work at the stories i play them at report any such issue. if you bought the guitar new, did you talk to the seller? they might have let you exchange it or given you a free setup to fix the problem. the best thing you can do is take the guitar to a qualified luthier and have them check the problem. checking the guitar out should be free, whatever you decide to do about it.

as far as using heavy strings, most guitars aren't set up for them. what can happen includes pulling the bridge off gradually, which can depending on how it's attached also pull off the finish and a little of the wood underneath. it can and will cause bellying, probably pretty badly, although you could buy and attach a bridge doctor inside to slow this. you can cause the neck to be pulled inward and the top to be pulled upward, 'causing the neck to pull away from the guitar or for the guitar to sort of implode. no guitar i know of is made to handle this much tension - expect the worst, because it will almost surely happen given a little time and heavy strings.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Why do you want such heavy strings on your guitar? I can hardly handle .012's on mine, unless you were drop tuning, which then tension wouldn't be a problem, but heavy gauge acoustics strings in E standard will eventually destroy even the best made guitar, it's just way too much tension.

As for the string breakage, if it's breaking at the saddle, I'd suspect too steep of a angle on the strings, or a sharp angle on the saddle, but since they are usually plastic or bone, I don't think that would cause strings to break as often as you say...I'd just go back to light gauge strings and see if it goes away, could just be the heavy gauge.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Why do you want such heavy strings on your guitar? I can hardly handle .012's on mine, unless you were drop tuning, which then tension wouldn't be a problem, but heavy gauge acoustics strings in E standard will eventually destroy even the best made guitar, it's just way too much tension.

Nothing wrong with medium gauge. They give off a different tone. All guitars will usually need some sort of neck reset after about 20+ years. Using mediums as opposed to lights won't shorten its lifespan by any significant amount.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
Nothing wrong with medium gauge. They give off a different tone. All guitars will usually need some sort of neck reset after about 20+ years. Using mediums as opposed to lights won't shorten its lifespan by any significant amount.

I'm talking about like, .014's, .015's in E standard, since TS said he still wanted heavier gauge strings than his .013's. I thinks.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I'm talking about like, .014's, .015's in E standard, since TS said he still wanted heavier gauge strings than his .013's. I thinks.

My bad. I guess I skipped over that part.

No, I would not suggest anything heavier than medium(13's). Once you get heavier than that, things start to break from the tension.
Equipment:

i suggest you contact blueridge support by email and ask what gauge strings they recommend for the guitar. they generally get back to me within a couple days.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!