I've been writing 'lyrics' for about 2 years.
I know that's not long, but i just feel that i haven't really progressed.
When i say lyrics i don't mean poems that you conventionaly see on here.
I could never write like most of the other people on this forum.
90% of the time i don't even know how to read what they write. And when i can it blows my mind. I'm not much of a 'poetry' person i guess.
But i write 'lyrics' to songs with music. I want to get 'better' at writing lyrics.
Any links or just your thoughts on how progression came for you or anything would be much appreciated.
Last edited by guitartaber93 at Aug 14, 2011,
if u ask me you don't have to think to hard about the best songs. it just depends on the style of the song. some shit could be deep other shit doesn't even have to make sense or you could just honestly say what everyone is already thinking. music is music. screw the words it just has to sound good
I respect your opinion. But i disagree with you. Lyrics play a major role in the realm of music.
Take drugs. They make you more creative, and there are no downsides.
Seriously, my best lyrics come from when I write the music, melody, and words all at once. You can't force it, but if you are patient, it will happen. When I try to write lyrics AFTER I've already written the music, they sound forced and it's as if I'm just finding words that fit to the music. Listen to my song "What You've Sown" (click on my sig). I wrote the words first and the music just seemed to come to me.
Do you still have the lyrics written down from your earliest songs? Maybe you are getting better but you don't notice it. Maybe if you look at the earlier ones you'll see how much better your newer ones actually are. I know it showed me my improvement.
I'm working on finding a place to have all my lyrics on the net. Not sure where yet. But yeah, i just feel that my lyrics are drab and dry. I think of songs and i want to be able to do what Damien Rice or Dallas Green does. But i just never seem to be able to.
Quote by bandsunnyside
if u ask me you don't have to think to hard about the best songs. it just depends on the style of the song. some shit could be deep other shit doesn't even have to make sense or you could just honestly say what everyone is already thinking. music is music. screw the words it just has to sound good

That's a bit ignorant to say. Music means different things to different people. Some people are all about the sounds and textures, others care more about the lyrics and meanings. In my opinion, good music needs both if it has vocals (that's not to say I don't enjoy instrumental music if it's done well.)

I was horrible at writing for years. I've only recently gotten to a point where I actually like my own lyrics and poetry. It takes a lot of practice and patience to get better at writing. Some people are naturally better at it than others, sure, but that doesn't mean you either can or cannot do it.

Use an online dictionary-thesaurus (or an actual book one, though online ones are much more convenient because of search functions) at all times when you're writing. Every time I write, I have the Merriam-Webster site open and I consult it for every important word to look for better synonyms and such.

RhymeZone.com is also very useful if you can't come up with good rhymes. I also use it on a regular basis.

But, more than anything, writing takes practice and knowledge of words and literature. I've learned a lot just from reading and critiquing others' work in these forums as well as taking people's critiques of my own work seriously and making changes to my style where it's needed.

If you'd like more specific advice or critiques of your work, feel free to PM me.

And keep writing!
Quote by 37 Narwhals
Do you still have the lyrics written down from your earliest songs? Maybe you are getting better but you don't notice it. Maybe if you look at the earlier ones you'll see how much better your newer ones actually are. I know it showed me my improvement.

I know i've improved, but it's not enough. I'm no where near happy with the level i'm at. I post lyrics i've written on here from time to time and RARELY do they get any feedback whatsoever. And it's discouraging.
I suspect you don't read an awful lot.

Quote by guitartaber93

90% of the time i don't even know how to read what they write.

Improve your vocabulary. Start reading more books, poems, lyrics, newpapers, anything.

If there is a word you don't understand, don't just continue reading - look it up in a dictionary. It can interrupt the flow of things though, so alternatively you can just write it down then look it up later.
Quote by bandsunnyside
just listened to some of your stuff though. u got a really nice voice

thank you very much !!!
Quote by Jesse Clarkson
I suspect you don't read an awful lot.

Improve your vocabulary. Start reading more books, poems, lyrics, newpapers, anything.

If there is a word you don't understand, don't just continue reading - look it up in a dictionary. It can interrupt the flow of things though, so alternatively you can just write it down then look it up later.

I don't mean the meanings of words. I read quite a bit actually, mainly books though. It's more the rhythm i can't seem to get an understanding of, how they structure the lines and things of that nature, it starts to confuse me and i give up.
What always helps me is reading a lot of different people. Get a feel for all of what's out there, and it helps you to find your own voice. Once you do, writing is just absolutely the best.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER

What always helps me is reading a lot of different people. Get a feel for all of what's out there, and it helps you to find your own voice. Once you do, writing is just absolutely the best.

The singularly most important piece of advice anyone who wants to get better needs.

Regarding what you said,

I don't mean the meanings of words. I read quite a bit actually, mainly books though. It's more the rhythm i can't seem to get an understanding of, how they structure the lines and things of that nature, it starts to confuse me and i give up.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1380836

I'll give you another example.
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/3413/iamacoward.jpg
This is something I did a few months back, and it's one of my favorites for a lot of reasons. But you wouldn't pause after "played", see?
Line breaks, at least in my case, are done for the visual. I absolutely love when something is incorporated into text that is abnormal; The Raw Shark Texts is a good example of this technique, but I'd have to say House of Leaves does it best. Using text as a canvas is brilliant.
Anyway, yeah, if I feel like a line of mine is going on too long, I'll break it off, but that doesn't mean I hesitated before the next word.

Here's another prime example of amazing poetry and structure, and a surprisingly easy one for "rhythm".
http://www.victorianweb.org/authors/arnold/writings/doverbeach.html

Only pause at punctuation or if the next word doesn't sound like it's connected to the line. So, in my own poem (though i am a notoriously punctuation-less poetry writer; I assure you, my essays and stories are practically flawless), you would read the fifth line as if there were an ellipsis after "crying". If you replaced "she was" with "her", you would not hesitate in your reading.

And, one more thing: if you really want to get good at reading poetry, start using the OED. ****ing misconceptions almost caused me to fail poetry class. Almost.

I hope this helps.
the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn