I got stuck on what to do after this riff so I decided to write it out but i cant tell what key its in, could someone help me?
The progression is as follows:
Am9 Fmaj7 Fmaj7 Gmaj7 F7 A Fm A7add11
Quote by blood8815
I got stuck on what to do after this riff so I decided to write it out but i cant tell what key its in, could someone help me?

Let's go chord by chord.

Am9 - A C E G B
FM7 - F A C E
GM7 - G B D F#
F7 - F A C Eb
A - A C# E
Fm - F Ab C
A7add11 - A C# E G D

It starts in A Minor, and then goes through Bb Minor and then ends up at D something after the A7add11. The parentheses are where the separate keys are.

(i - VIM7 - VIIM7) - (V7/Bb - VII - v) - V7add11/D

I can only assume it goes to some kind of D afterwards.

This is how I would approach it, so don't be surprised if someone else gives you a different answer.
I also came to the conclusion of D something...I'm feeling minor, probably due to the starting Am but DM works just as well...

Honestly, you may be assuming notes to be in the chords that are not (meaning they are pedal tones or passing tones or something of that like), or assuming the lowest note your playing to be the root note, when in fact a bass could totally change the root (for example, the Fm could be a D half-dim 7 if you added a D)

It sounded more like an intro or strange key change than a riff though...but maybe thats just because of how i was playing it
Last edited by whisperffs at Aug 14, 2011,
This is a tough one. How about you post a tab? Until I can see how it's played, I'm going to side with whispers and assume that not all of these notes are important harmonically.

To d5, I find it hard to believe that this progression would be tonicizing or modulating without even playing the new tonic each time. Then again, this sounds like a jazzy sort of thing and that genre is not my area of expertise.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Let's go chord by chord.

Am9 - A C E G B
FM7 - F A C E
GM7 - G B D F#
F7 - F A C Eb
A - A C# E
Fm - F Ab C
A7add11 - A C# E G D

It starts in A Minor, and then goes through Bb Minor and then ends up at D something after the A7add11. The parentheses are where the separate keys are.

(i - VIM7 - VIIM7) - (V7/Bb - VII - v) - V7add11/D

I can only assume it goes to some kind of D afterwards.

This is how I would approach it, so don't be surprised if someone else gives you a different answer.

Aw ****, I messed up. Its actually a F#m and not a Fm, sorry.
And to the guy what wants the tab, here it is.
Attachments:
progression.gp5
From your progression, it looks like the F# and C# accidentals come into play with an A bass, so to me this looks like it transitioned from A minor to A major, but the G# in A major hasn't come into play just yet instead there's a G natural in the last few bars which is consistent with an A7 chord but a G# will fit there nicely.
Quote by soviet_ska
This is a tough one. How about you post a tab? Until I can see how it's played, I'm going to side with whispers and assume that not all of these notes are important harmonically.

To d5, I find it hard to believe that this progression would be tonicizing or modulating without even playing the new tonic each time. Then again, this sounds like a jazzy sort of thing and that genre is not my area of expertise.

It's not that it tonicizes, but rather acts as a passing key. Yeah, it doesn't play the tonic, but it still "hints" at it and it would fit to plat that "key" over those sections.

And the F#m just makes the F#m - A7add11 further in the key of D Major.
Quote by blood8815

the progression as presented is not in a key. There is a hint of A minor, but overall it's a group of chords that do not function in a single key.

question: if you wrote the 1st part by ear, couldn't you do the same with the rest?
shred is gaudy music