/title

Basically, I've experienced a recent lack of motivation to play due to surgery and I want to know if it's a good idea or not to take a break for an unspecified amount of time.
Quote by punk_rules_1997

Hi, I am looking for an amp setting close to the sound of bands like Black Veil Brides.

Quote by Eppicurt

Set everything to 12 o'clock.

Go from there.

lol

Jackson WRMG
Peavey Valveking 112
Pod HD300

Will buy guitars & guitar parts
PM me for info
Go nuts.

You'll eventually find you'll miss it and what to come back. It might be a little bit unfamiliar at first but hey you'll get back into it.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Worked for me. I was married for 12 years. I almost never played. Thank God that's over now.

I've played more in the last 3 years than the prior 20. My fiance loves it when I play!

Do what you gotta do.
are you in a band...cos look what happened to mike portnoy when he said he wanted to take a break for a few years
Quote by T7E
are you in a band...cos look what happened to mike portnoy when he said he wanted to take a break for a few years

LOL to T7Es comment.

but yeah of course its fine to take a break. some days i feel like playing drums or guitar and some days i dont. on days when i try and force myself to do either or both when im not feeling it, its never fun and i end the session frustrated. so to keep it fun, take a break if you feel you need to.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

It is both ok and recommended if you're not feeling it.
Crazily though, I just want to say that you should try picking up the guitar and playing something again, though...you might have to semi force yourself to do it if you don't feel like it.
If you're still not feeling it...definitely take a break...but you never know...you might change your mind when you're actually holding the guitar and playing it.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
^ hey whats your agile like SYLrules88. been thinking about wether to get one as an 8 string.
Also how is the V3....need a new amp and have heard good things
If you don't enjoy it, then don't do it. Unless it's your profession and it's all you have, then the choice to take a hiatus is there, my friend. Don't force feed it to yourself.
I've never played constantly throughout my 20 years as a guitarist. Sometimes I'll play every day for a while, then I might not pick one of my guitars up for a few months. You quickly get back into it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I took a break for about two years a while back. never do that
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
It's a question of your goals and what you get out of guitar, as well as why you don't have a desire to play, as to whether taking a break will really be beneficial.

If you just do it for fun, and it's not fun anymore, then by all means, take a break. See if it starts feeling like it could be fun again. Then resume. Or not.

If surgery in any way made playing uncomfortable, then please, take a break until you're well again. It's not supposed to hurt.

I personally get my fun not just from playing, but from noticing when I improve. I like doing well at things. Somedays I wake up and start trying to play and I notice every mistake I make and just don't like how I sound, but I play through those days, because it's those days that lead to the days where you pick up the guitar casusally and something comes out of your instrument that you never thought you could bring out of it. Those days are good. But you can't skip the frustrating days to get to them.

Basically, figure out what the consequences of taking a break will be for you, and if you like them, do it.
Quote by T7E
^ hey whats your agile like SYLrules88. been thinking about wether to get one as an 8 string.
Also how is the V3....need a new amp and have heard good things

sending you a PM so i dont derail the thread haha

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Breaks are fine depending on what kind of person you are.
I remember i took a break after my band broke up then one day i felt like playing again out of no where and i improved like crazy!
but this was me now you might have a different experience so do whats best for you.
NEW SIGNATURE!
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
No, you must never take a break. You must play guitar every day until you die.

Actually though, knock your self out. Not the end of the world if you feel like you need time away from it. Hell, I don't even remember the last time I picked up my guitar for some serious practice, despite that I said I wanted to improve a lot and make a good start into writing my first album over the summer...
I took a break of about 8 months. I was having money problems, my job was killing me and I just wasn't motivated to play. However, during this time I listened to a lot of music outside of my comfort zone. I used to be strictly Classic Metal, but I saw a commercial that had a Johnny Cash song which sparked in me a big love for old country. I heard a Robert Johnson Lick and fell in love with the blues, Expanding to Blues Rock and Classic Rock wasn't a long journey, and now you know what I play since my break is over. I'm 10 times more motivated to play than I ever was.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Man never take a break for more than a week or two. I went on vacation without a guitar and came back and had to work another good week to get my playing back up to where it was.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
I've taken multiple breaks over the course of my 12 years of playing.. one extended one and a few other short breaks. I always felt refreshed when coming off the break and played a lot after it. I actually think I improved my playing after the shorter breaks because of the amount of practice and effort I'd put in right after it ended.

Don't burn yourself out by forcing yourself to play. Play when you want.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex