Well it's looking like my Lakland is sold so that means I'll be in the market for a new 5 string in the next couple of weeks. I've got my eye on a BO Thumb that's on a local forum but the way it's priced makes me think it'll sell before I have the cash.
So yeah, five string. Don't care whether it's 34 or 35" as long as it holds it's B well. I like single coils and MM buckers. Soapbars look hideous to me and from my experience with the Lakland a B string on a P pickup really isn't where it's at for me.
Now I'm picky as shit too. No: Ibanez', Deans, Schecters, Gibsons (not for this one anyway) and other "metally" type crap. I'd like to stay away from Spector this time too.
Budget is $1500 AUD or roughly $1550 USD. I don't mind importing but if I did I'd like to keep it under $1000 because I'll get slammed with import taxes and etc.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Cheers for the suggestion but Warmoth isn't really worth the effort down here with their terrible shipping rates and whatnot, add to that it'd be probably something I'd screw up royally.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
oh hell I saw USD and thought durp American
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
I'm quite fond of my Music Man Stingray 5-string special edition, but I don't know how much a Stingray would set you back where you live.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
I'm quite fond of my Music Man Stingray 5-string special edition, but I don't know how much a Stingray would set you back where you live.

http://basscentre.com.au/index.php?module=Website&action=Text&content=1123479652406-8274&parentContent=1122956557562-5234

generally the best prices in Au
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Ouch! That's more than I paid for my special edition and it has an ebony fretboard and special inlays!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
'sif I'd buy new though. Used stingray 5's go for about 1400 to 1600 when they're not being sold by idiots. I've though about them.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
You could get a MTD Kingston CRB5 but I don't know the prices are down under.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
That's got a P pickup and it's Basswood.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
well based on you liking single coils and MMs why not go for the corvette $$? two MM pickups that you can coil split to make them single coils and not to mention its a sexy sexy bass
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
You could maybe look into Human Base? The Base X OC-5 has Delano humbuckers, an ash body, and Glockenklang guts.

EDIT: or maybe you could swing a used Lakland Skyline 55-02?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Last edited by Tostitos at Aug 14, 2011,
Human Bases don't really do it for me, kinda unattractive. Already got a Corvette so not really after another. The Lak would be easy though. They're a dime a dozen around here at the moment, but I don't wanna screw around with changing pickups and stuff. Bartolini MKs are junk.
Did however just get offered a more or less brand new Am Std Jazz V for 1120 from the states. Might jump on that one possibly. I WISH IT WAS NEXT WEEK!
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
Human Bases don't really do it for me, kinda unattractive. Already got a Corvette so not really after another. The Lak would be easy though. They're a dime a dozen around here at the moment, but I don't wanna screw around with changing pickups and stuff. Bartolini MKs are junk.
Did however just get offered a more or less brand new Am Std Jazz V for 1120 from the states. Might jump on that one possibly. I WISH IT WAS NEXT WEEK!

the $$ is a whole other animal man. where the standard has finesse the $$ just kicks the door down blasts everyone in the face with a shotgun and blows the place up with c4.
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
They're kinda out of budget too. From what I can see.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
That's got a P pickup and it's Basswood.

What's wrong with that?!
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
aw well that sucks man. all i got left to suggest is something with a jazzman setup with a splittable MM or two splittable MMs.
Quote by Bass First
Quote by dark Mass
What's wrong with that?!

From the Lakland it'd be more like downgrading, which is something I don't really want to do. I'm trying to get away from the 5 string P thing too. I might go back some day but it's not where it's at for me at the moment.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
From the Lakland it'd be more like downgrading, which is something I don't really want to do. I'm trying to get away from the 5 string P thing too. I might go back some day but it's not where it's at for me at the moment.

Oh okay.
G&L L2500!!!!

Dooooo eeeeeeet!!

I know you don't want 'buckers.... but the L2500 can switch between humbucker and singlecoil mode, as well as switch between active and passive. It REALLY is diverse as anything. If you buy new... which i THINK your budget will allow... you can even specify the neck-width you want.

Good luck on your choice, in any case!! I was lucky to find my Ibanez CT Bass 5 string... it's PERFECT for me.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."