Hi. I want to buy an amplifier. I can pay something around 240 dolars, and between my options are a Vox VT40+, a Peavey Vypyr 30, a Fender Mustang II or a Line 6 Spider IV 30. Please tell me, which do you recommend me more and why? My music style varies between punk rock, pop rock, indie rock, alternative rock and funk rock; for example, bands like Simple Plan, Green Day, The Rasmus and Maroon 5. I'll be truly grateful with your help.
As I am not happy with the bands you listed, Green Day is alright. I would get the Vox VT40+ . I have an am a user of the Line 6 Spider 30 for practice when I'm not with my band and it isn't the best. Just the sound out of it is really muddy and just horrible when turned up loud. I am not a fan of Peavy, and especially for the genre we both play ( I play the same genre as you ). So to be honest I would take the Vox over the fender mustang II
Fender Deluxe 72' Telecaster w/ SD SH-4 JB
humbucker in the bridge position running through....
--
Crate FlexWave 120H
Marshall 1960A 4x12
Boss TU-3
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
BBE Green Screamer
MXR m109 6-band EQ
MXR m135 Smart Gate
In that price range you'll be hard-pressed to find which is the best. If you can try them all out, do so.
I belive any amps that you listed will probably do you fine, but habbalock knows the genre a little better than I do so his recomendation would be good to listen to.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
After reading about the Fender Mustang II, it looks pretty decent as well, which is 1x12 40 watt combo. I do use a Fender Ultimate Chorus 130 watt 2x12 combo for practice and live so I am a big Fender fan, along with my tele! So I mean it's completely your choice between the line 6 and the fender. I would call up a music shop nearby or go to one and talk to a worker there about both of the two, possibly test them both out and then choose.
Fender Deluxe 72' Telecaster w/ SD SH-4 JB
humbucker in the bridge position running through....
--
Crate FlexWave 120H
Marshall 1960A 4x12
Boss TU-3
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
BBE Green Screamer
MXR m109 6-band EQ
MXR m135 Smart Gate
I'd really like to test them all out, but in the city I live the best music store doesn't have much things in-store, it's based mostly on confirmed orders. That's why I'm gonna have to base myself on opinions of people who have actually try them out. And thanks for your contribution habbalock, I'll take your position in count.
For you; I'd suggest the Fender or the Vox.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I'd check out the Roland cube series. They have great cleans and good distorions for rock. I have the cube 15x and I've been using it for 4 years and it has never broken and is still working great. I highly recommend it.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Search for this on youtube to listen to the amps.
The Andertons Modelling Practice Amp Shootout - Part 1
The Andertons Modelling Practice Amp Shootout - Part 2

vypyr tube is a little more expensive, but worth it to some
Ok, so now I'm between the Vox VT40+, the Fender Mustang II and the Roland Cube 40XL...
Quote by chuiwiki
Does anybody have a Vypyr 30 opinion? I haven't heard much of it...
Well, I don't understand why nobody has recommended that out of all those, because that is easily the best of all of those for the price. That or the Vox. I'd take the Vypyr for more options.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Well, I don't understand why nobody has recommended that out of all those, because that is easily the best of all of those for the price. That or the Vox. I'd take the Vypyr for more options.

How is 24 amp models and less presets more options.

I think you've confused the VT30 with the VT40+

At the risk of sounding like a Vox rep

33 amp models 12 modulation effects 12 stomp boxes...

99 presets admittedly only about half of them are actually useful.

It also has "manual" mode no hidden EQ setting it's what you dial in what you want and beleive it or not that mode reacts "close" to the valve amp that's being modeled

Some people say the "Valve Reactor" circuit and the 12AX7 valve it incorprates are just a gimmick.

IMHO Vox Valvetronix amps sound less digital than the Peavy Vypyr amps. With the exception of the tube 60 and 120 "Tube Vypyr" amps.

Those amps are also out of the TS budget.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
So I heard that the Vox VT40+ and that kind of amps need constant maintenance...is it true? And is it does, is each maintenance expensive?
Last edited by chuiwiki at Aug 15, 2011,
No they don't require constant maintenance. They have one 12AX7 tube in the pre-amp to help define clean tones. If you treat your amp right (keeping it out of sunlight all the time and also extreme hot and colds, and allowing the amp 30 seconds or so to warm up) you probably wouldn't need to replace that particular tube at all.

After reading all the posts and looking at the reviews the Vox VT40+ and the Vypyr look awesome, wish they were around when I was first starting. But also as another suggestion why not a straight second hand amp with some pedals will give you a lot more versatility. I just bought a Bandit 112 and man do they rock!
Thanks for the suggestion, but I really am between the VT40+ or the Mustang II. Does anyone know more less the lifetime of both, and if they actually have any problem or complaint known?
Both are fairly good brands as in support wise and living up to warranty. I would read some of the reviews on them on Ultimate Guitar to get a better idea of reliability though.
Has anyone tried the Fender Fuse thing already? I would like to know if it sounds fine or if it sounds too digital.
Quote by chuiwiki
Ok, so now I'm between the Vox VT40+, the Fender Mustang II and the Roland Cube 40XL...

All fine choices for you if you are mainly an at home player.

Otherwise you may want to find a Jet City 20w combo or something along those lines if you want to try to keep up with a drummer a little better.

We need more info.

Look here and come back

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
it is generally understood that, the vypyr is more geared to the high gainers, the Vox's are not the best as high gainers, but have a wider flexibility, and unless the new version of the cube is alot different (haven't seen it, not bothering to look at it) it lacked quite a bit of other's functions, and the mustang is pretty new, so there aren't too many reviews with people past the honeymoon period.

one nice thing i do have to say though about the vypyrs have the sanpara footswitch that goes with it and is pretty cool and gives you more tonal options, as well as an expression pedal.

hopefully too much of that wasn't drunkeness
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by chuiwiki
Did you read my info at the beginning of the thread?

Indeed. I read all of it. Just left out a few things that might have helped us a little more.

New, used.
Closest city if used
Home or gigging.
Current gear would be nice also.

Just trying to help you man.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Well, I want nice cleans, as well as cool high gain for punk rock and hard rock. I can't be called a medium player still, but i'm not a beginner. My options now are:
The VT40+ for the huge variety of presets and nice cleans. I don't know much about the high gain.
The Mustang II mostly for the Fender Fuse stuff, though I don't know if it's worth it.
And for the Vypyr 30, I've seen same pros as cons, so more info about this would help.
From my experience, the Vox will get you the most variety of tones that are useable, the Fender will have the best cleans, worst distortion, and the vypyr will have the best distortion and worst cleans. Thats from my experience.

Ive always enjoyed playing the VT series, and the VT+ are a little better too.

I would go with the VT.

You still didn't answer any of my questions though
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
New.
Living in Merida, Yucatan, Mexico.
Home and band practice, maybe giging.
Current gear, an Epiphone LP Special II and a Fender Frontman 15G.
Sorry, I was trying to answer before your post but I'm slow at the keyboard and my English is average.
Its fine

You might have a tough time gigging with any of those amps. Really depends on where you play.

Good luck!
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Ok, thanks for your help. Just one more question, you said the Fender has the worst distortion, but were you refering even to the Fuse distorted presets?
Quote by chuiwiki
Ok, thanks for your help. Just one more question, you said the Fender has the worst distortion, but were you refering even to the Fuse distorted presets?

Ive never played one of those. I was referring to the Mustangs.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Sorry, I guess I didn't explain myself clearly.

Quote by diceksox1809
From my experience, the Vox will get you the most variety of tones that are useable, the Fender will have the best cleans, worst distortion, and the vypyr will have the best distortion and worst cleans.

When you say worst distortion for the Fender Mustang, it applies also for the Fuse Software distorted settings? Or you're trying to tell me that you haven't tried out the Fuse Software yet?
Quote by chuiwiki
Sorry, I guess I didn't explain myself clearly.

When you say worst distortion for the Fender Mustang, it applies also for the Fuse Software distorted settings? Or you're trying to tell me that you haven't tried out the Fuse Software yet?

Oh okay I thought the fuse was a different line of amps Fender put out. I have not used the Fuse distortion yet. My apologies.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Anyone: is the Sanpera II Footswitch worth buying? Cause I think it's pretty expensive...