Hi

I'm looking at studying engineering in the UK (I am already in the UK), and am looking at universities with entry requirements of around ABB to AAA.

I'm about to recieve my AS results, and am roughly expecting grades like A or B in Maths (probably B/C), B, C or D in Physics, an A in Art and an A or B in Business Studies.

Are these sorts of grades good enough to apply for these types of universities? Remember these are my AS results, I'm sure I can end up with an A in Maths and a B in Physics at the end of my A-levels.

Any help will be appreciated, Thanks.
ಠ_ಠ
Why don't you look at the entry requirements of the specific organizations you are hoping to study at, surely that is going to be more useful than asking a bunch of complete strangers...

Are you sure university is right for you? :P j/k
When are you completing your A2? As long as you have referees to your results and are great with interviews, i see why not.
What course do you want to do, first?

And you won't have to apply til long after you've got your AS results, so I wouldn't fret just yet.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Offers are given based on predicted A level results, which alot of the time are very similar to AS results. You might as well apply to the universitys you're on about but have a couple of back up choices too. And look at the times list, the higher entry requirment doesn't always mean a higher standard of education at that uni/for that course.
Head like a stone, stoned like a rock.

i got 3 Bs and i study civil engineering at leeds when the asking off was AAB, you should be able to get in as long as you have a good interview and look interested in the university!
I have a friend who achieved BCC for his AS; but aced the interview (with help from his lecturers) and got into imperial for genetics (he retook some AS subjects). It all depends anyway on the uni.
I'm at the same stage as you, just waiting for my AS results too. I reckon those grades would be fine, talking to a lot of people at different university open days I'd also recommend maybe learning further maths AS if you can during your A2s because a lot of physics/engineering places love that and sometimes they even lower the entrance requirements if you've got it
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Your AS levels form a basis for your predicted grades which you then use on your UCAS forms. Make sure your Maths and Physics are up to the mark. If you don't make the grades and get turned down, try applying through clearing (risky) or applying for a foundation year.
Quote by rustymoore91
Offers are given based on predicted A level results, which alot of the time are very similar to AS results. You might as well apply to the universitys you're on about but have a couple of back up choices too. And look at the times list, the higher entry requirment doesn't always mean a higher standard of education at that uni/for that course.

These lists are hugely subjective to be honest and they vary massively between them, so i'd worry less so about ranking and choose something based on the course. Uni's use AS levels as predictions of what you'll get a year later, so having slightly lesser grades than what they're asking for is relatively common because it's not hard to get an A overall with a B at AS.

Therefore personal statement and interviews are very important. I know people who had amazing grades but had a crap statement and got nowhere, while others with crap ones got into decent unis. Do lots of independent reading and any work experience if possible. Don't talk about how you've always wanted to be an engineer, but instead highlight ideas that interest you and how they've influenced your decision to choose engineering.
Quote by babakkatt
Whats wrong with asking a girl what kind of cheese she likes?

LOUD NOISES
Engineering courses usually require an A grade in maths.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Hi I am currently at a UK Uni and I have been through the fun of ucas before. Looking at your grade you should be ok at applying to some of the unis asking for the higher grades but for engineering maths and physics would be key, I would wait and see what you get first. Having backups is a good idea, but important thing about backups is that you would still want to go to these unis if everything gets messed up, so pick wisely.

Also regarding grades the uni while look at your predicted grades which are grade that your teachers believe you are capable of getting, you could try influencing their decision ( I had two of my predicted grades increased so that I was more attractive to Unis) However they will not do this unless they have reason, otherwise the school/ teachers get a rep from unis from over inflating grades.

Quote by Joeval

And you won't have to apply til long after you've got your AS results, so I wouldn't fret just yet.

Not quite true, there a few universitys that run a first come first serve systems. I received all my uni offers well before the deadline for ucas applications bear that in mind, I would set a rough target of late October for submitting you application but do not rush it begin now, esp your personal statement it could be important.

Something to bear in mind, I recently had a conversation with the head of admissions from my uni for modern history and I asked her what she looks for in a personal statement and she stressed passion for the subject; regarding your extra curricular if actives (if you have any) it should be at max 10% of your personal statement and you need to link them to your course (ie how do they help you be a better engineer/student ect)

last thing to say, next year it is going to be hard to say how competitive all places at uk unis will be due to the increase in fees, I believe that there was a big surge in applications this year to get the lower fees and I think next year should be less competitive from this.

Just out of interest where are you thinking about applying to?
I'd wait till you got your AS results before looking at what to expect.
Then using them look for Unis that have similar entry requirements (after consulting the times good university guide).

So say you get ABB in your subjects of choice (Maths, Physics and one other I assume if you want to fo Engineering) at AS. You're very likely to get them results at A2 so that's what I'd aim for.

When picking your course it's good to pick one you really want regardless of entry requirements, and one with lower entry requirements that you wouldn't mind going to as a backup.

Also, for physics, maths and engineering courses if the requirements are ABB. The A normally has to be in Maths or Physics.
Quote by rustymoore91

True but in terms of your degree the "Name" of your university is quite important in terms of employers.

For example, two applications both with seconds in Maths (lets say) one is from Oxford the other if form a less know uni. Unfairly employees will see a difference even though they are technical the same degree, in real terms they are not.
a in art

go for architecture, not engineering. engineering can be extremely boring depending on what aspect you go through but i've yet to hear anyone diss architecture.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
The ones I have as my 2012 choices are Bath, Birmingham, Essex, Sheffield and Manchester, all requiring ABB/BBB for Computer Systems Engineering.
Quote by untalented
go for architecture, not engineering. engineering can be extremely boring depending on what aspect you go through but i've yet to hear anyone diss architecture.

This comparison does only work if TS is considering Civil Engineering. You wouldn't tell someone adanant(sp?) on doing Electronic Engineering to consider Architecture, would you?

As I see from TSR, the "predicted grades" seems to be almost independent on AS results. I see people getting B's from AS and are predicted AAA, A*A*A and so forth. To be honest, I think your PS and reference is far more important that AS results and predicted grades.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Aug 14, 2011,
Quote by untalented

I'm considering architecture, only it's a 7 year course and the job prospects are much more inconsistent
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by AVIDFANOFSOUNDS
Hi I am currently at a UK Uni and I have been through the fun of ucas before. Looking at your grade you should be ok at applying to some of the unis asking for the higher grades but for engineering maths and physics would be key, I would wait and see what you get first. Having backups is a good idea, but important thing about backups is that you would still want to go to these unis if everything gets messed up, so pick wisely.

Also regarding grades the uni while look at your predicted grades which are grade that your teachers believe you are capable of getting, you could try influencing their decision ( I had two of my predicted grades increased so that I was more attractive to Unis) However they will not do this unless they have reason, otherwise the school/ teachers get a rep from unis from over inflating grades.

Not quite true, there a few universitys that run a first come first serve systems. I received all my uni offers well before the deadline for ucas applications bear that in mind, I would set a rough target of late October for submitting you application but do not rush it begin now, esp your personal statement it could be important.

Something to bear in mind, I recently had a conversation with the head of admissions from my uni for modern history and I asked her what she looks for in a personal statement and she stressed passion for the subject; regarding your extra curricular if actives (if you have any) it should be at max 10% of your personal statement and you need to link them to your course (ie how do they help you be a better engineer/student ect)

last thing to say, next year it is going to be hard to say how competitive all places at uk unis will be due to the increase in fees, I believe that there was a big surge in applications this year to get the lower fees and I think next year should be less competitive from this.

Just out of interest where are you thinking about applying to?

Thanks for the answer, very helpful! I considering applying to Nottingham, Loughborough, Sheffield, Exeter, Birmingham and possibly Cardiff. They are the main ones I am considering. Of course in my final five applications I will include some insurance choices. I'm looking at doing Civil or Mechanical Engineering.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Funk-E-Munk
i got 3 Bs and i study civil engineering at leeds when the asking off was AAB, you should be able to get in as long as you have a good interview and look interested in the university!

Thanks. How are you finding Civil Engineering by the way, and what is Leeds like?
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Joeval

Civil or Mechanical Engineering, most likely it will be Civil I think.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by The Chimney Man
Thanks. How are you finding Civil Engineering by the way, and what is Leeds like?

its interesting, but i like maths and sciences!
and Leeds is awesome