Hey y'all,

I am really jealous of mac users because of the fantastic Garageband program.

Can that program replace an actual amp ?
I very rarely play with a band so maye it could replace my amp.

What do you guys think ?

PS: Please don't mention the PC alternatives for garageband, none of them comes close to the ease of use and user interface of GB. I've done some research.
if you aren't a tone purist, it sure as hell can replace an amp. the amp models and effect modelers actually sound quite good, and not to mention the tone comes from speakers as well, so if you have good speakers then
I am not a HUGE tone purist, I am just sensible about overdrive and clean.

Can I get an OD like a tubescreamer or Jekyll&Hyde ?
And a Fender clean ?
If you want to play through your computer into the board on a gig, you'd be better off using an amplifier software like Revalver or something along those lines. I've seen it done a few times,
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
With Garageband? No.

With Guitar Rig or Amplitube, maybe.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Oh right, thanks I had never heared of Revalver. But it doesn't replace GB right?
Huh, you're pretty delusioned about garageband, the built in sounds suck. IMO. Try a real DAW dont just read about it.

If you can install VSTs (I cant remember if you can but id assume so) get amplitube. Its free and comes with a few pretty good sounding models.

Youre gunna need an interface though to plug your guitar in.

Itll do a decent job of replacing a modeler, but itll never sound as good as the real deal miced up.
Yeah I was thinking about iRig too, aren't Amplitube and iRig the same thing?
Quote by beckyjc
yeah but irig is for ipad/iphone/humancentipad.

Oh man really ? I thought it was also available for Mac OS! That's a bummer. So there is only Grageband then.?
well, you do have nicer software available to you, but its mostly based on the windos format (i.e. windows 7)

but there are probably some daw applications for the mac os, but again, if you don't play in a band and such, then garageband could be a good alternative to buying an amp.

but, you'll need good computer speakers for it to sound acceptable.
nicer software for Windows ? Hm sorry I man I think you're mistaken. I have looked a long time and haven't found a good GB alternative. Fruity Loops, Mixcraft and all aimed at professionals or producers.

I just want something with a cool graphic interface and a good range of tones and amps. !
Mostly for windows? Mac is the OS of choice for sound production, 90% of the time. You have pretty much everything available to you that windows users get.

And you get logic, which windows users dont.

I'd probably swap my Pro Tools rig for logic in a heartbeat if i could only afford a mac... Logic comes with a few amp sims too IIRC, not sure if it comes with cab impulses/sims. Which you do need.

Granted, logic is a little more complicated than most, Pro Tools is easy though, its only 2 windows. Both are very powerful and capable DAWs, and both blow garageband a mile out of the water.

Ampltube is for max osx too. Irig is just the portable version.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/amplitubefree/features/

You should be able to use this within garageband and standalone.

Bear in mind, once you get into using stuff thats better quality than garageband synths you best hope your CPU is up to the challenge.
Last edited by beckyjc at Aug 14, 2011,
Quote by alans056
nicer software for Windows ? Hm sorry I man I think you're mistaken. I have looked a long time and haven't found a good GB alternative. Fruity Loops, Mixcraft and all aimed at professionals or producers.

I just want something with a cool graphic interface and a good range of tones and amps. !

Holy shit, obviously you've not done your research properly or tested the softwares. In terms of amp dynamics and customisability, the ReValver Mk III, wipes the floor with GarageBand.

In terms of having good tones but a wider variety of amps and stomp boxes, Guitar Rig is also very powerful.

Have you actually sat down and tested the programs yourself rather than reading about it?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Holy shit, obviously you've not done your research properly or tested the softwares. In terms of amp dynamics and customisability, the ReValver Mk III, wipes the floor with GarageBand.

In terms of having good tones but a wider variety of amps and stomp boxes, Guitar Rig is also very powerful.

Have you actually sat down and tested the programs yourself rather than reading about it?

Okay calm down, no I haven't tested all the programs, Yes I have only read about them. That's what you do with software. It's not like choosing amp. You can read about a program and decide if it's good or not for you.

So I hadn't heared of ReValver, I will check it out.
Quote by alans056
Okay calm down, no I haven't tested all the programs, Yes I have only read about them. That's what you do with software. It's not like choosing amp. You can read about a program and decide if it's good or not for you.

So I hadn't heared of ReValver, I will check it out.

I think you can get demo's for most of them. You can for Reaper and Mixcraft at least.
RIP Adam
Quote by beckyjc
Mostly for windows? Mac is the OS of choice for sound production, 90% of the time. You have pretty much everything available to you that windows users get.

And you get logic, which windows users dont.

hey, i have logic. i gained it from all them years of edumication. :P
Line 6 HD series and you get the gearbox? Much better amp sim than than Garage band and has gained a lot of popularity and you can use whatever program you like to record.

Also, since you get the hardware unit as well, you can go into the PA for live use. Just a thought. That's the plan for my 11R.

That being said, Logic does have some nice amp models, but then so does Revalver, Line 6, Amplitude and Guitar Rig and Avid Eleven if you want a PC solution.

If you want to completely replace an amp, I'd look into hardware solutions though.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at Aug 14, 2011,
thanks for your answer

I am not planning on playing with a band or gigging, I only play for fun. So maye a hardware Line 6 pod isn't the right thing?
the line6 pod hd's aren't only for gigging you know? on the 500 there are over 100 fx pedals, tons of cab and amp simulators, built in wah pedal/volume pedal.

you can also hook it up to your computer to record sounds you like, or maybe to make your own song, you can also plug it straight up to a set of headphones, you can hook it up to a amp if you want.

it is a very diverse multi-fx unit.
Quote by alans056
Hey y'all,

I am really jealous of mac users because of the fantastic Garageband program.

Can that program replace an actual amp ?
I very rarely play with a band so maye it could replace my amp.

What do you guys think ?

PS: Please don't mention the PC alternatives for garageband, none of them comes close to the ease of use and user interface of GB. I've done some research.

This is your 93rd thread that youve started since dec, 2010 lol , spend more time playing or getting out of the house then you do starting threads here or playing on the computer
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
garage band guitar tones sound like shit for anything that isnt clean, trust me i had to do some work for my uni course with it and it sounded so bad. even in Logic the guitar amps and stuff were pretty bad.

get Guitar Rig, Amplitube, or something like an AxeFx
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by alans056

Quote by alans056
Oh right, thanks I had never heared of Revalver. But it doesn't replace GB right?

Quote by alans056
nicer software for Windows ? Hm sorry I man I think you're mistaken. I have looked a long time and haven't found a good GB alternative.

Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Whatever program that comes with the Apogee 5 interface is what you should use, Garageband is really low quality compared to what they have. Heck, Reaper makes Garageband look like a toy.

And yes, a DAW can sorta replace a amp, with VST amps, but for windows there are a tone of FREE VST amps that sound excellent, and not so much for mac. They aren't always going to sound 100% good as a actual amp, but if you know what you are doing, they can sound pretty dang good.
Ok, I had a question that is related and didn't want to start a separate thread about.

I have a guitar, some cables, and a Macbook Pro. I tried plugging directly into my computer through the headphone output, and used Garageband for the amp simulations. Barely any sound and it didn't sound very good. I noticed that older Macs/other versions have a line-in and a headphone output.

So I've heard about Amplitube and want to get the free version. What's the best method to hook it up to my computer and start using it?

I'm about to buy iRig and use my iPhone just because it seems easier and more intuitive.
I really like logic. My friend is a producer and he helped me record a demo because i drove him on like a 300 mile round trip to an Apple store haha. I plugged my Vypyr through an interface and used logic and i got some really great tones from it. Also, big fan of ReValver. Garageband is pretty bad. we used to have it back in high school and high gain tones, clean tones, even overdrive tones....just bad dude
Quote by alans056
I have looked a long time and haven't found a good GB alternative.

Seriously?

Reaper

Sonar

Whatever that new one is by Native Instruments

Cubase

Pro-Tools

etc
etc
etc

Garageband is like a novelty toy. Its ok to play around with. Plus its on a Mac, not a real computer.
^Bah, real producers use macs, get with the times.

^^^You need an audio interface, you will not in no way shape or form get good results from plugging direct into your soundcard.

Look at Line 6 pod gx. The most basic audio interface just for guitar.

If you want something a bit more futureproof, presonus audiobox, digi mbox, tascam us122.
Just to add my insight onto the original question at hand.
Garageband is quite nice, good and easy to use, and yeah it could be used as a practice amp no problem, but you won't get amazing tones from it.

Things like Overloud's TH2, Waves GTR3, Almplitube, Guitar Rig, etc etc are much better and can be run as standalone applications, or through a DAW (such as Garageband as you seem to have your heart set on it!).

But in terms of DAWs, Garageband is not the best you can do, definitely! It's great as it's free with macs, but things like Logic and ProTools are considered the high end of DAWs.
Quote by alans056
Oh man really ? I thought it was also available for Mac OS! That's a bummer. So there is only Grageband then.?

You can actually use the iRig to plug into a mac, done it many a time personally.

To answer the question about plugging into a mac with guitar cables, you need something like the iRig with the 3 band jack to go into the headphone slot which means there is audio going in to it.

I would never fully swap an amp for garageband. If I stopped playing in bands I would consider swapping for amplitube or something but even then I'd be hard pressed to be convinced to drop my amp.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I'm kinda wondering why no one has asked OP why on God's green earth he would want to trade his Fender tube amp for a ones-and-zeros sim...
nerd it til it Hz.
>Fender Jagstang / Epiphone SG Special / DIY/GFS Partscaster
>SBN Big Daddy Amp Blaster / Boss OS-2 / Line 6 DL-4 / DIY guitarpcb.com D'Lay
>Vox AC15C1 / Marshall 4x12
Last edited by lifesglorydead at Aug 18, 2011,
If you're using it just for yourself then Garageband will work wonders for you. In my honest opinion, the AC30 model on it is fairly accurate, and besides that just flat out sounds very nice. You won't get the clarity of an actual amp, but again, just for yourself, Garageband will really work nicely.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I use the amp sims in garageband just for myself and for writing purposes. Once I complete a good fraction of something though I'll actually hook up my mic.

I've only used the demo of Overload TH2 but it's pretty amazing, I'm almost tempted to pull the trigger on that. Look into something like that or any AU (audio unit) plug ins, as that is what Garageband uses.