because you are immature. you very possibly feel that they constantly judge you and look down upon you. you may resent them for things (either being perceived or legitimate). another emotion you may be going through is the fact that you feel like they try to oppress you, which may or may not be true.

reason why i say this: have a minor in psychology, and turning it into a bachelors. it may be that not every thing i said applies, but i'm very sure that atleast one of them does.

possible solution for you: take steps to improve yourself, which would be talking to your parents, forming a better relationship, and start expressing yourself in as many positive ways as you can.
this is more of a psychological question than a guitar question, playing guitar is a method of showing your feelings especially when improvising, it all depends whether you're close to your parents or not, i was the same way when i started playing because i never showed emotion to my parents which meant i was hesitant to play in front of them because i felt that if they criticized my playing then they are personally criticizer me as ive put so much time into practicing, its either that or i was fairly weird when i was younger
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Quote by Yekex
Quote by 00_hns_00
because you are immature.
lol
Point proven i think.
Quote by ChazBcWarlock
this is more of a psychological question than a guitar question, playing guitar is a method of showing your feelings especially when improvising, it all depends whether you're close to your parents or not, i was the same way when i started playing because i never showed emotion to my parents which meant i was hesitant to play in front of them because i felt that if they criticized my playing then they are personally criticizer me as ive put so much time into practicing, its either that or i was fairly weird when i was younger

This is right, playing is emotional, at least to some people.

I know it is to me, that's why I don't like playing to my family, cause I never showed any kind of compassion and emotion towards my family.
unless your parents can play guitar who cares? My mum thinks im amazing on guitar lol..........im really not
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by ChazBcWarlock

My only weakness, how did you know?
Quote by ChazBcWarlock

this

but the reason why you didn't show emotions to the parents is typical of every teenager.
Quote by 00_hns_00
this

but the reason why you didn't show emotions to the parents is typical of every teenager.

I feel the same way TS

i feel like they would critique my playing or some shite and then my mom would tell all her friends and be like "ZoMG Hez SOOOO gewd at GuiTar" even though ive only been playing for a year

And i dont want to show emotion
How come nobody here shows any emotion towards their families? Do you not like them?

I for one often invite my parents to live shows because they like to hear me play even if it isnt their prefered musical genre.

Or am I weird?
Quote by Necrotise
Point proven i think.

Yeah, absolutely.. Not wanting to waste my time commenting on somebody who doesn't know me saying I'm immature for no apparent reason makes me immature, i can't agree more.
Actually in the 3 or so years that I have been playing, I don't think my parents have heard me play guitar at all.
Bah. Play for yourself. Who gives a shit what other people think?

What happened to Rock and Roll, man?
I hear my train a comin'.
---------------------------------
Fender MIM Stratocaster + Fender 57/62 single coils
Agile AD-2300
Fender Blues Junior + MXR Custom '78 distortion
Fear of being judged by your parents.

/endThread
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
- Stephen F. Roberts
Quote by MrBillion
How come nobody here shows any emotion towards their families? Do you not like them?

I for one often invite my parents to live shows because they like to hear me play even if it isnt their prefered musical genre.

Or am I weird?

Freak.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by MrBillion

Or am I weird?

Freak.
This thread has just footstomped my suspicion that UG is full of teenagers coming into their own and are finding it hard to covey emotions to others, especially their parents.

On a related note however, i find it tough at times to display my own music (heavy metal) to my mom cause it's not her cup of tea. She obviously enjoys listening to me play because i'm her son, but I cringe for her as well cause I know deep down she only enjoys it because it's me
Quote by Yekex
Whenever my parents are home, i turn down the volume so they can't hear me. It's not because i suck or they hate it when I play, but i get very annoyed when they hear me play, i don't know why. I'm not nervous, i usually don't care how many people listen to me, just when my parents do. When I think they can hear me, I don't want to practice, just maybe play some songs, but end up putting the guitar down and do something else... Why do you think i feel this way?

Let me guess, you're within shouting distance of being 15 years old, one way or the other?

Having a difficult relationship with your parents is part of being a teenager. You're supposed to be uncomfortable with them.

Rather than calling you immature, I would say - you're appropriately mature for your age ... and more self-aware of it than most other people. I suspect that a lot of your peers (unless I missed your age by a wide margin) would be uncomfortable playing near their parents but wouldn't be conscious of what was going on.

A lot of complex emotions related to wanting to be separate from your parents are normal for being a teenager. It's a standard part of your emotional growth, and, really, necessary.

Get some headphones. Or get a buddy with a garage and play with him at his place.
I used to be that way when i was about 10-12 when i hardly played and didn't take it seriously. after i started practicing 3 hours a day and taking it seriously. i know that i can play well and i know how to show emotion playing guitar. i'm not afraid to play in front of other people now because i know what i can do.

self confidence.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
I used to be that way when i was about 10-12 when i hardly played and didn't take it seriously. after i started practicing 3 hours a day and taking it seriously. i know that i can play well and i know how to show emotion playing guitar. i'm not afraid to play in front of other people now because i know what i can do.

self confidence.

Hardly related to self-confidence this is.
Quote by bdof

On a related note however, i find it tough at times to display my own music (heavy metal) to my mom cause it's not her cup of tea. She obviously enjoys listening to me play because i'm her son, but I cringe for her as well cause I know deep down she only enjoys it because it's me

This

But dad likes metal, so he's OK.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
I sort of know the feeling, I don't like to play my br00talz metalcore music super loud when my parents are home. My mom doesn't really mind, but I feel it could get really annoying to listen to after awhile.
I used to always turn my amp down when playing, but my parents never really told me to turn it down unless it was on full blast. I was always shy and didn't want them to hear my playing. I'm my own worst critic when it comes to my playing. Friends, family, etc. will tell me how well I play and I'm just like, "Eh, I guess." I just don't like to brag. In your case, I don't know why you get annoyed if your parents can hear you. Sounds kind of strange. I could see your point if they yelled at you and said you suck all the time, but you said they don't do that.

As I've gotten older, I'm not so shy anymore while playing around family or friends and whatnot. If you're confident in your playing, nothing should stop you from being heard.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
Quote by Yekex
Yeah, absolutely.. Not wanting to waste my time commenting on somebody who doesn't know me saying I'm immature for no apparent reason makes me immature, i can't agree more.

-1. You're proving that you are, in fact, immature. He didn't mean immature as an insult, which is how you obviously took it and are reacting poorly. He meant it as simply not mature, not grown, not *any other synonym for reaching adulthood* and that is why you felt that way towards your parents.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I hate playing in front of my parents. Not because they hate it, but because every damn time I even so much as hold the E string 7th fret they expect me to play Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love". Doesn't matter whether my amp is on clean and I'm playing Bach or I'm actually playing something remotely similar to Led Zep.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Despite having a set of gear that can get respectfully loud, I generally don't push my amp beyond 2-3 at home, out of consideration for others (including my pets). There could be an element of that in your reluctance to blast.

I usually get around that by practicing through a Korg PX-4 (same basic idea as a pocket POD and so forth). To my ears, I'm as loud as I want to be. To the rest of the world, it's purely acoustic...which for most solidbodies, isn't all that loud.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 14, 2011,
Quote by VanTheKraut
-1. You're proving that you are, in fact, immature. He didn't mean immature as an insult, which is how you obviously took it and are reacting poorly. He meant it as simply not mature, not grown, not *any other synonym for reaching adulthood* and that is why you felt that way towards your parents.

Yeah, just because he doesn't want to play guitar in front of his parents, makes him immature?
well tbh my mom and dad brought me up on Metallica and Poison and the like so its never a problem when i play. I play quietly just because i hate disturbing those around me. That and as big an ass as i am, it makes me feel happy to see my mom smile when i play a song she likes (Whiskey in the Jar by Metallica or most anything by 311)
Stuff that I bought:

Washburn WM24V
Raven RG100 Amplifier
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal

Quote by jsync
how do you define a guitar for a female?
how about one that whines and has trouble with feedback?
Wow, didn't know that other people have this problem. I have no problem with playing infront of my parents if I'm playing something on the softer side like porcupine tree. I just can't play metal infront of them because I know that the hate it and don't understand what metal is all about. Everytime my parents, especially my dad, come down stairs I always switch to the clean channel or don't play at all. If either of my parents ask me what song I'm working on at the moment all i can say is, "Nothing."I've even played gigs where I try not to look into the crowd for fear of making eye contact with my parents. I thought that I had a good relation with my parents, but now that I'm actually writing this out, I know that I'm going to have to work on that. Any serious advice on how to work on this?
Quote by Cajanek
Bah. Play for yourself. Who gives a shit what other people think?

What happened to Rock and Roll, man?

Rock 'n roll had a stroke and is in the hospital hopefully on it's way to recovery, as for blues it's almost brain dead with little sign of recovery, music today sucks.

As for this subject I don't care who here's me play, I'm 14 it's what I love to do, everyone seems to like my playing, more importantly it makes me happy, just be happy with yourself and open up a little man, if you don't trust your family then who will be there for you? Build up the courage and give your parents a concert tonight man, they'll love it no matter what because you're there son, whether you know it or not they love you, and are proud of you, so get out there, blare your music, and be proud of yourself because you are someone! ROCK ON!!!!
~Jake
i Used to hate playing where my parents could hear. I thought they would get annoyed because i sucked when i first started playing. But as i got better it was more like "hey mom! come check this out!" Especially when i started getting into more mellow spanish sounding instrumental pieces. So it's basically went from me not wanting them to hear me play because i thought they would judge me to (6 years later) them coming to watch me play in bars in an 80's glam metal group. you would think it would be awkward to have your parents see you in brightly colored clothes and leather pants but they like it because they see how much i love being on stage and how happy i am when i'm there. It's just something that comes with time man
Quote by Baloo010
Yeah, just because he doesn't want to play guitar in front of his parents, makes him immature?

Judging by the replies this topic has gotten I'd say Adolescence has a lot to do with not wanting to play music that you think your parents don't like in front of them. So yes. He doesn't like to do this, because he is not mature, which is what I said.

Welcome to the forum.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Aug 14, 2011,

Get some.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by bkmurff
Fear of being judged by your parents.

/endThread

Yesssss
Quote by VanTheKraut

exactly

if your parents actually care about you(their child), then they want to see your excitement towards the music, and they want to know how its going, what you are learning. granted, don't blare the brootz at them 24/7, but parents love their children (for the most part) and there will come a day where you will realize exactly how much they sacrificed for you their child, and you will one day learn how a loving parent truly feels towards their child.
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
Rock 'n roll had a stroke and is in the hospital hopefully on it's way to recovery, as for blues it's almost brain dead with little sign of recovery, music today sucks.
~Jake

haha, so true

btw, (when your old enough). lol

but, playing as devils advocate, there are a few good bands out today, but its more few and far between. i'd say music as a whole is taking a decline, but there are the few musicians who are better than their predecessors.