Hey guyz!

I just got my playing motivation back about a week ago after a month of brake.
I hope i wont lose motivation soon again, so I'll ask you.

What keeps/gets you motivated to practise and play? (keep you motivated, aswell as get you motivated again after spending time on a break cause of a lack of motivation)

Thanks!
As the enormous amount of the same kind of topics says: Try playing something different genre of music.
ahh.. for me it isn't quite that... I just don't feel like picking up the guitar at all! (not atm)
I think if I have not played guitar for long time just when I get my guitar in my hands I'm like wow, it feels great. Then my motivation is back. Learning new songs can keep you motivated. And buying new gear of course (if you are not motivated, I don't recommend). If you have a band I think practicing with your bandmates and learning new songs with them can motivate you.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
I think if I have not played guitar for long time just when I get my guitar in my hands I'm like wow, it feels great. Then my motivation is back. Learning new songs can keep you motivated. And buying new gear of course (if you are not motivated, I don't recommend). If you have a band I think practicing with your bandmates and learning new songs with them can motivate you.

thats the shit! I've desperately been looking for a band for over half a year but no...
When I listen to some really shredding shit. Like Holy Wars ya know. I just wanna go play it. But it takes practice lol
I had lost my motivation for years. Starting playing again when my 9 yr. old son became interested in music and playing guitar. Bought some new gear, had my old Fender Twin re-tubed and now I can't stop playing. It's just life, sometimes other things become more important. Do you play or jam with others? I have found that helps keep me motivated. Music was meant to be played as part of a band.
promise yourself a wank, but only after you have practiced for 2 hours
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Knowing that I have a guitar lesson every week is motivation enough for me, plus I have practical exams soon
But every now and then I will hear some song that will just excite to play again, and when I say play I mean play around like I'm that 13 year old kid again with his run-of-the-mill classical guitar that he's learning to play Green Day on
I've been playing for 8 years and about 2 years ago or so, I didn't play at all. I probably didn't play for a good year, it seemed. I was working full time then and I was so preoccupied with work and other crap that was going on. But when I got laid off, I started playing again because I had nothing to do other than look for work. For some reason, my playing style has changed a lot. I've been picking up on blues playing a little, playing more chords rather than just power chords all the time, trying to play different things other than metal, etc. and I think it has kind of renewed my motivation to pick my guitars up more often than not. There are some days where I don't play at all or I'll just pick them out and pluck a tune unplugged. There are some days where I play a little bit and get tired of it and some days where I'll play for a good hour or so.

Learning new things will always kind of refresh the whole idea of playing the guitar and will keep you coming back to it. Try different tunings, too. That's why both of my guitars are tuned differently so I can pick one or the other up and sound completely different. It may even inspire to play something different for once.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
new backing tracks are the #1 thing that gets me going. i rarely have a problem of lack of motivation.

also as bad as this sounds, new gear always helps too, just something different to mess around with, it could be as simple as a pedal or an amp guitar, etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Seeing my friends play. I'm not so big about watching others on Youtube. To me, getting together with friends and passing around their guitar makes me think "Man I wanna be a better player than him" or "I wanna learn that song".

Concerts too. Good concerts at least. Looking up and seeing someone blasting off awesome riffs, and thinking how much I wanna be doing that.
Last edited by Ghostmaker at Aug 15, 2011,