I went out and bought a zoom G3 multi-effects but im having trouble deciding where to put it in the chain. My first thought was to put it straight into the effects loop, but then the distortion will come AFTER the pre amp, wich apparently muddies the sound.. do the other effects like flange, chorus etc sound good aslong as they come after distortion (i.e does it matter where they are in relation to the pre amp)?

My biggest problem is the pedal also has amp modeling, and alot of the preset patches (wich I think sound really good) rely heavily on the integration of these amp models for their tone.. So the obvious answer is just skip the pre amp altogether and plug the pedal straight into the "return" of the effects loop, but then my tube amp becomes nothing more then a cheap cab! All those tubes are doing nothing, I am basicaly going completely digital..

Is there an answer to all this, or am I simply going to have to sacrafice something? And if so, what do you guys think wuld be the best combination (or ones to avoid)? Im using a little 20 watt blackstar practise amp with a Zoom G3 multi effects and also a really nice boss distortion pedal, so I have options. Thanks
You could just use the g3 for the distortion and effects and not the amp models. It'll probably sound better without the amp models and just with the stompbox models. It'll probably work the best in the input of you amp.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Aug 14, 2011,
Quote by freemanhl2
I went out and bought a zoom G3 multi-effects but im having trouble deciding where to put it in the chain. My first thought was to put it straight into the effects loop, but then the distortion will come AFTER the pre amp, wich apparently muddies the sound.. do the other effects like flange, chorus etc sound good aslong as they come after distortion (i.e does it matter where they are in relation to the pre amp)?
You're just going to need to make a decision. Your amp isn't going to be just a cab using the FX return because you will be using a tube power amp. And that's a good thing.

I think the best choice is to put it in the FX return for starters. Get used to tweaking and using this way. Amp models sometimes clash with preamps unless you really pay attention to the cab selection and global output setting. If you put it in front it's best to start with distortion stomps before the amp models because amp models have an extreme amount of EQ especially with the various cab models.

Lastly you will need to be in the FX loop or going into the FX return if you want to use the looper w/ your amp's preamp. Considering the value of the looper and synced drum machine I'd say the FX return is the right choice. You could also get a dual loop switch and be able to choose to use your amp's preamp.

Here's a link to a thread I made on for the G3 after I bought mine. Links to several songs I made using the looper and drum machine are in there. The G3 is an awesome piece of gear. Congrats for picking one up.

My G3 Thread