Page 1 of 2
John Squire.

at least one of the best, if not one the best of all time in my opinion.. I would certainly put him up there with the likes of Richards, Harrison & Hendrix (although Hendrix isn't technically British)

if you don't know who he is, listen to the Stone Roses debut, if you haven't already , it will blow you away, not even the guitar parts infact, the whole album is a masterpiece.

Infact listen to this, a bit of proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEmjkWBkK-U
I'd have to say Johnny Greenwood. I'd explain but I don't think I need to and/or I'm about to leave.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by Reisgar42
I'd have to say Johnny Greenwood. I'd explain but I don't think I need to and/or I'm about to leave.

Have to admit i'm one of the people who didn't quite get Radiohead, I think they're a good band, but i'm not that keen on them personally, a bit like how i feel about the likes of Muse & Matt Bellamy. Complicated relationship material, lol.
Quote by Glass Prisoner
Guthrie Govan, clearly!

Got into him about a year ago, and would have to agree
I gotta go with Lee Gaze from Lostprophets. Changed my life man (he's actually Welsh, but whatever).
Gotta go with Lee Gaze from Lostprophets. Changed my life man (he's actually Welsh, but whatever).
Quote by Raining Kasch
Gotta go with Lee Gaze from Lostprophets. Changed my life man (he's actually Welsh, but whatever).

Wales is considered Britain... hence 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain'.. lol.

anyway, my votes are still for Squire!
Absolutely going to agree with Squire, this guy is amazing! Check out the Seahorses (his post-roses band)...WOW. Shame to see he has given up music for art, seems like such an incredible waste of talent, but i suppose whatever makes him happy.
Steven Wilson

/Thread
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Stratocaster
Taylor 210 Dreadnought Acoustic
Bogner Alchemist 40w 212 Tube combo
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Korg Pitch Black
Slash.

(Before anyone complains - he's from Stoke-on-Trent).
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Kevin Shields has my vote. Even if he had one major release I think it's better then most other british artists. Greenwood would be runner-up.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Gary moore obviously (hes from belfast so we can claim him).

Everything else...is just a toy ( or inferior)
I heard somewhere he's still active with some supergroup so i'll have to say Tony Iommi not a technical wizz but just all round skill both rythym and lead.
OH MY GOD IT SPINS!
British music seems more modest to me than, say, American music, in general. Less self-indulgent solos and more rhythm-based than riff-based. Either whoever wrote the most Oceansize riffs or Matt Bellamy gets my vote. Don't think I listen to enough British music to have a valid opinion though.

And Peter Green? Has he even released anything in the last 20 years?
The special thing about Oceansize's guitar work is the way the three of them link together and make that massive sound, and how there's always something interesting or clever going on in the background. None of them are that amazing on their own, but as a unit they're incredible.

Good example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSrLxpUHUJQ

They'd definitely win it for me if I could count all three as one player

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28P5OB8qjoE

5:10 onwards alone makes Sel Balamir a contender

DAT TONE
Last edited by BenRaah at Aug 26, 2011,
So do I. I just think there's no way I could pick one of them, as you don't get the full effect of the writing without hearing all of it together. Either way, I reckon they've produced some of the best British guitar parts in the last decade or so.

But then again, I am a massive fanboy.
tbh i dont really like matt bellamy as a guitarist...i mean his voice is great and i love the guitar work on showbix but i find its too calculated...not enough room for improvising
who needs guitar when you can have a banjo player like mumford and sons
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Adrian Utley from Portishead? He's done some pretty interesting stuff, particularly on Third.

Quote by swave75
Noel Gallagher?

lolnah
Last edited by BenRaah at Aug 28, 2011,
Graham Coxon is freakin' awesome and underrated as hell. Go along with John Squire, The Stone Roses album itself is just musical perfection
When the days they seem to fall through you well just let them go....
I know im basically copying everyone else, but im also gonna go with Jonny Greenwood, John Squire, Matt Bellamy and Graham Coxon. All are, frankly, geniuses.
Bass:Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
Guitar: Fender Mexican Telecaster Standard
Pedals: Boss ME-25>EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi>EHX Small Stone
Bass Amp: Orange Crush 100
Amp: Fender Mustang II
Quote by Raining Kasch

No. He isn't exactly good in any way is he? Lostprophets have very derivative guitar parts and IMO not a very good guitar sound. Sure, it works for them, and they connect with people etc. but nothing about Gaze says 'great guitarist' to me.

I think Squire is technically just out of your range if you're calling the last 20 years and the first Stone Roses album, but I'm probably wrong, and anyway he did stuff for a few years after that. Slash is definitely out, since his contribution to music ends in 1987. I think I may have to go with Bellamy.
Dude, where's my band?
I'd have to go for Govan, but I'd like to throw in "Pin" from SikTh as well.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by GaryBillington
Slash.

(Before anyone complains - he's from Stoke-on-Trent).

+1.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by Pregowski92
John Squire.

at least one of the best, if not one the best of all time in my opinion.. I would certainly put him up there with the likes of Richards, Harrison & Hendrix (although Hendrix isn't technically British)

if you don't know who he is, listen to the Stone Roses debut, if you haven't already , it will blow you away, not even the guitar parts infact, the whole album is a masterpiece.

Infact listen to this, a bit of proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEmjkWBkK-U

Awesome player!! try this link as yours appears to not be working http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5IDlOwVvFE
Page 1 of 2