I'm working through Rockschool guitar grade 4, and I'm having a real problem with the scales bit. It has the major pentatonic, minor pentatonic, major, natural minor and blues scales, which would be okay, but it says they "must be prepared both chromatically from G-B (root note 6th string) and C-E (root note 5th string". I have no idea what that means, and it's really annoying me. Can anyone help me?
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Ok, I think what they mean is that you'll need to prepare the shape with the rootnote on the low E string (My guess will be E shape) and you need to be able to play any key between G (3rd fret) and B (7th fret)

So G, G#/Ab, A, A#/Bb, B

Same for the other one, just a root note on the A string between C (3rd fret) and E (7th Fret)

So C, C#/Db, D, D#/Eb, E

Hope this helps!
I'd guess it means that too.

In short, learn how to form that scale from any root note, but specifically they're looking at G-B on the low E, and C to E on the A string...in other words anywhere between the 3rd and 7th frets on the bottom two strings they expect you to be able to locate the major and minor scale and their pentatonic equivalents.

That being the case might as well play safe and figure it out everywhere, it's not like the pattern changes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Lcollins1
Ok, I think what they mean is that you'll need to prepare the shape with the rootnote on the low E string (My guess will be E shape) and you need to be able to play any key between G (3rd fret) and B (7th fret)

So G, G#/Ab, A, A#/Bb, B

Same for the other one, just a root note on the A string between C (3rd fret) and E (7th Fret)

So C, C#/Db, D, D#/Eb, E

Hope this helps!

as you said, but as I can se form above you must do all those scales (major pentatonic, minor pentatonic, major, natural minor and blues scales) starting from G, G#, A, A#,B, and the same on 5th string from C, C#, D, D#, E...chromatically means that each of notes from G to B are roots for all those scales u have to run, and the same you do from C to E...hope this helps too cheers...
Last edited by Spine V. at Aug 14, 2011,
Thanks guys. So if I learn the pattern for the major scale (which I've done) and he says "play the major scale in B" then I just play it from the seventh fret, sixth string? That clears it up, I thought it was do do with how far I ascended or something. Thanks
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube