Hey all. It has been a while since I've been on UG. For a couple months now I have been writing songs that I would describe as "experimental indie" (kind of similar to Frog Eyes in a few ways). This is the first one that I have laid down.

http://soundcloud.com/my-great-ulysses-1/the-keeper-is-made-a-fool-demo

Please feel free to critique! It took some guts for me to post this because I am usually really self-conscious about my music/lyrics.

The quality isn't the best because I recorded it in my bedroom. Also, the recording might be loud - listen with caution! haha.

No guarantees, but I will try my best to listen to your work and critique yours if you critique mine.
Quote by Silent_Jester13
This is the biggest collection of ADD i've ever seen.
I listened to this a few times.

The recording is good in its own way. However, the critic in me has to say that the parts sounds like they are a little out of sync (lead guitar sounded slightly out) I'll put that down to lo-fi recording/production. It is a bedroom recording after all.

I actually really like the guitar sound, was that down to the mixing? Nice little echo/reverb going on there. Couldn't make out the vocals completely (not that i have any problem with that), but otherwise, I like the vocals (good voice).

Edit - forgot to say, that in short, this is a good little track, and I enjoyed it.
Last edited by Eel_Pie at Aug 14, 2011,
Quote by Eel_Pie
I listened to this a few times.

The recording is good in its own way. However, the critic in me has to say that the parts sounds like they are a little out of sync (lead guitar sounded slightly out) I'll put that down to lo-fi recording/production. It is a bedroom recording after all.

I actually really like the guitar sound, was that down to the mixing? Nice little echo/reverb going on there. Couldn't make out the vocals completely (not that i have any problem with that), but otherwise, I like the vocals (good voice).

Edit - forgot to say, that in short, this is a good little track, and I enjoyed it.

Ahh, thank you a lot! I do realize that it is a bit out of sync in some places. To be honest, the lead guitar was hard to do because they keyboard underneath it is playing in straight 12/8 time, but the guitar is playing sixteenth notes in 4/4. Theoretically it works - it's a hard match though. haha.

I did the guitar with my effects processor. No reverb, just a very tight delay with slight distortion. I prefer the sound that way, and I really don't do much with mixing when it comes to guitar. This is the first recording I did in which I double tracked the vocals, and I think that they turned out decent. Thanks for the compliments!

I hope to have a few more tracks done in the next weeks.

Anything you want me to critique of yours?
Quote by Silent_Jester13
Really dig the rhythm guitar sound, reminds me of For the People by Dinosaur Jr, sweet.
The lead melody is a little too.. repetitive, it could use some variation to make the song feel more dynamic. The synth added a nice element to the tune aswell.

I get a bit of a John Frusciante feeling when I hear this, have you listened to this solo albums?

Overall, not bad at all, keep it up
Quote by Zimens
Really dig the rhythm guitar sound, reminds me of For the People by Dinosaur Jr, sweet.
The lead melody is a little too.. repetitive, it could use some variation to make the song feel more dynamic. The synth added a nice element to the tune aswell.

I get a bit of a John Frusciante feeling when I hear this, have you listened to this solo albums?

Overall, not bad at all, keep it up

I agree. I think the lead guitar is what needs the most work. I have been toying around with changing it, and I think I eventually will.

I actually have not listened to his solo stuff, but I will give it a try!

Thanks for the critique!
Quote by Silent_Jester13
Hi, it reminds me of The Doors, I don't know if they are an influence in your style...
I couldn't understand the lyrics.
I liked the tune in background that starts at around 01:05... its a really nice touch.
The bass = mission accomplished.
What I would suggest, is that you change the melody of the overall vocal tune... its a bit repetitive.

Please, have a look on my video, and if you will, leave a comment at it?
Thanks man!
Space Pyramid

My songs
My Band songs

Gear:
Vox PathFinder R15
Epiphone G-400
Accord Strato
Acoustic Guitar
POD HD 300
Boss MT2
Boss CH1