Sorry for my ignorance, I've put off learning theory so don't know much. Also sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I couldn't find it.

When you have the full scale, (I'm using this this site), how do you know which patterns to use?

For example, on sites they say there are only five patterns in the minor pentatonic scale. Yet there are more on that site, is it just you take each root note as a new pattern?

Thanks
What this website does is it shows every note on the fretboard where notes that are found in the scale appear. There are only five notes in a pentatonic scale in one octave, but it looks like it give you 3 or 4 octaves to choose from including repeated notes (eg: D on the 10th fret on the sixth string is the same as the D on the 5th fret on the fifth string).

Of course, if you get into music theory and understand what notes are in the pentatonic scale and why those notes are chosen as well as knowing all the notes on the fretboard, you won't even need to learn copious amounts of shapes that people are prone to mess up (no offence - I include myself in that category)
The site you linked to gives you the the scale starting from a fret.

The five patterns of the pentatonic scale you mentioned exist becuase you can start a scale on any note within the scale, and since the pentatonic scale has only five notes, there are five notes you can start it on, hence the five patterns.

A scale is sequence of notes and you can play any of those notes anywhere on the fretboard. Scale patterns are there to make it easier to visualize scale, but it is important to remember that it's all the same collection of notes, so it doesn't matter which pattern you're using.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Ah, I see guys, thanks.

I've learnt a little so I know about the WWHWWWH building a major scale, and the minor starts on the 6th I think?

I understand the patterns anyway, so thanks.