Poll: What do you feel about spoilers (SPOILER: Poll ahead)
Poll Options
View poll results: What do you feel about spoilers (SPOILER: Poll ahead)
Love them
2 2%
Hate them
44 44%
I don't mind
15 15%
I don't know
3 3%
Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father
14 14%
Dumblemore dies
10 10%
Gandalf returns
3 3%
Andy escapes
1 1%
Gregor S dies
1 1%
In The Phantom Menace... uh... I don't even know what happened there...
8 8%
Voters: 101.
Page 1 of 2
Knowing how a book ends does not ruin its story and can actually enhance enjoyment, a study suggests.

Researchers at the University of California San Diego gave participants 12 short stories where two versions were spoiled and a third unspoiled.

In all but one story, readers said they preferred versions which had spoiling paragraphs written into it.

Although the study could not explain why, it suggested the brain may find it easier to process a spoiled story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/int/news/-/news/entertainment-arts-14521627

Powerful stuff. Do you agree? What's it like for you with spoilers? Personally I don't like them, I prefer finding out something by myself.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
no i disagree i hate knowing how the story ends

once i know how the story ends, then i can rewatch or reread a second time to see the smaller facts that fit in perfectly to the story.

you can always rewatch after knowing how it ends, you can never have the first time of the story without knowing the end once the end has been heard
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Hate spoilers. It DOES ruin it for me.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by JimmyBanks6

once i know how the story ends, then i can rewatch or reread a second time to see the smaller facts that fit in perfectly to the story.

you can always rewatch after knowing how it ends, you can never have the first time of the story without knowing the end once the end has been heard

This. Spoilers ruin it a bit.
Spoilers ruin everything for me. What's the point of reading through everything or watching the entire movie if you know how it ends.
Am I the only one who wonders why the hell resources are wasted on "research" on the most stupid, useless shit?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I usually google the endings of films before watching them.

Quote by Xiaoxi
Am I the only one who wonders why the hell resources are wasted on "research" on the most stupid, useless shit?

1.find a topic that the general public will find interesting/amusing
2. research wile spending as little as possible - using online polls and such.
3. tell the papers/news stations, get money from it
4. use money to fund more expensive and more valid/useful projects

Just a theory.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Aug 14, 2011,
Bullllll. I hate spoilers, Tyler Durden doesn't exist and Snape dies and Bruce Willis was dead all along.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Disagree completely. The less I know, the more I'll enjoy it.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Spoilers ****ing suck.

Only idiots can't process what's happening in book without being told ahead of time.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by JimmyBanks6

This. Rewatching something after you know the ending can be fun, but you only get one chance in your lifetime to be surprised by the ending.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I hate knowing how a story/movie ends. I'd be interested to see if the results of the study are the same with longer stories & movies.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
those short stories were probably shit and needed to be spoiled anyway

it's a stupid study anyway and they should feel bad
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Oy, spoiler alerts please. I'd only just started reading this study.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Well arguably, in short stories, the "plot" might not be the key point so much as the writing, the characters, etc., which you might be able to appreciate more without worrying about plot.
I heard this on the skeptic's guide. I somewhat agree. If the story it is well written, the characters are intriguing and the dialogue is engaging, I have no problem knowing the ending. I know exactly how Jean Anouhil's Antigone ends, but I could read it again and again for the characters and the dialogue.

Then again, I do get pissed if someone else tells me the ending to a story.
Quote by K Reyn
You guys want to know how the JFK movie ends?
There was another JFK on the grassy knoll.
I watched the Shining for the first time a while ago.

So many parts of it had been featured in documentaries about film, Kubrick, and horrors, or just become part of pop culture and been referenced or parodied, that it was difficult to really get into the film. I knew it could be a really good journey for a viewer and give someone real nightmares, but I already knew the whole premise before the film could unravel it in its own way.

So yeah, spoilers do detract from the experience for me.
In The Phantom Menace, George Lucas defaces the Star Wars saga.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Voted for Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's Father. As has everyone else.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
votud for dumblemore bekauze hes nut a carakter in nithong
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
I hate spoilers. I'd rather see how it ends for myself without someone revealing it to me. Now, I don't mind foreshadowing during a story, but that doesn't really count.

Also, mom feels the need to spoil every movie I watch that she's seen before. She hates surprises and assumes that I would want to know beforehand as well. It drives me nuts.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
They don't always ruin a movie:

For example, if I liked Harry Potter and you told me Snape kills Dumbledore, I'd want to actually know why he killed him and how he did it.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
I don't mind when stories are spoiled, honestly.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Xiaoxi
In The Phantom Menace, George Lucas defaces the Star Wars saga.

baby anakin could take you down any day.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
I don't mind when stories are spoiled, honestly.

kevin spacey is keyser söze.
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Aug 14, 2011,
Generally prefer to not know the ending but there are some books that specifically tell you the ending at the start so that the important part is how it got to the ending and not just the ending. Sometimes that is better but normally they're just different. I tend to find it more powerful if I don't know the ending.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by K Reyn
Dude that is one I never want to ruin for anybody.

he doesn't mind.
Does anyone even get the "Gregor S dies" poll option?
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Page 1 of 2