I rarely use my pinky when picking it just feels awkward. I'm trying to break this habit but I find its hard. In interested to see how many responses this gets since it seems like mostly metal heads around these parts.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
fretz is absolutely right.
Hybrid picking is not exclusive to country, same as any technique is just a technique, it is not genre-bound at all.

I'm 99% a metal player and I hybrid pick all the time, I'm having trouble using my pinky for it but there's no reason not to; if fusion players like Brett Garsed can make it work I don't see why I shouldn't be able to.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Hybrid picking is not exclusive to country, same as any technique is just a technique, it is not genre-bound at all.

I'm 99% a metal player and I hybrid pick all the time, I'm having trouble using my pinky for it but there's no reason not to; if fusion players like Brett Garsed can make it work I don't see why I shouldn't be able to.

I am fully aware its used in many genres. I am just playing country with it.
I never use my pinky. That could perhaps be because I'm used to the classical P A M I style of playing. But hey, Jerry Reed only used 3 fingers while playing fingerstyle (!) and he was even a CGP. So I guess the pinky not is a "must-use" finger, but I can't see why you not would use it if you are finding it useful.
Not particularly often.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E