Hi guys!

Ok, so I apologise in advance for any spelling errors, I've had a few drinks. I'll do my best to avoid them.

ANYWAY, I am looking for a guitar. Really just a workhorse. I'm going to uni in September, and I would take one of my own, but it turns out that it would most likely be far less hassle to just buy a second hand one when I arrive.

So my question to you guys (who are far more knowledgable than I in these matters) what would you recommend?

I'd say that my budget would probably be in the region of £200 to £300, really just to find something to relieve various stresses, perhaps gig a bit if I can find/start a band. I have an amp that I would get there somehow (SP-10 + Floor pod, don't hate, I do what I can).

I'd like a versatile thing, trem or no trem I don't really mind. I'd prefer a trem slightly, but at that price it would probably be licensed, but that doesn't really bother me, I wouldn't abuse it anyway, I'd just like to have the ability to play with it. Active/passive? Doesn't bother me at all to be honest.

Shape-wise, strat or super-strat would be ideal. Thinnish neck, but I'm used to playing an Epi LP, so thick isn't exactly a problem.

I like to play a multitude of things, mostly hard rock and blues, with the odd bit of Iron Maiden, Metallica thrown in here and there.

So, any ideas?

Thanks in advance?

OH, if it helps, I'll be in Cardiff.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Ibanez RG series?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I've got an Ibanez Gio which meets all your requirements and I only paid £35 for it second hand. That was a particularly good deal, they're usually closer to about £70 for a decent used one. With the budget you've got, you could probably afford a brand new one.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Ibanez RG, ignore the gio series, or look at ltd, they do loads of cheap superstrats, also look at the jackson dinky js
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Yeah that's what I was thinking about. I had a look around ebay and stuff and mostly seemed to find RGs, I completely forgot to look at Jackson though, I quite like their style. I guess too, that I can mod it if I ever feel the need to. I've played a few ltds, and to be honest wasn't that much of a fan.

Thanks guys, for the input! Can't buy that type of help.

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
80's MIA peavey or a Peavey wolfgang (98-04 IIRC).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
ESP/LTD every time. Their low end guitars are the best quality I've seen. I had an ESP/LTD Viper 100FM ($250 I believe) and it's quality was FAR above my $1000 Dean
Ibanez....!!!!!!!!!!
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Ibanez RG series?

You might also want to look at an LTD M-100 $300 American plays really well once you get it setup correctly. The Floyd Rose Specail (FRS) stays in tune really well and seems pretty durable from what I can tell...

The FRS is "a real FR bridge that's Korean made by ping.

When the edge III on my Ibby died. I replaced it with a FRS it's way better than the Edge III. You can get one for $100 American.

That's just my 2¢ on the matter
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Ibanez RG, ignore the gio series

Curious about this comment - I presume the RG series is the next one up from the Gio series, but did you say this because of a known issue with the Gio that I haven't discovered yet? I only got mine a few weeks ago and it seems OK so far....

(Just in case, don't just say "Gio are s***" - they may not be up to par with more expensive guitars, but it seems pretty good for the money, I just want to know if there is a genuine problem with this series of guitar)
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryHB at Aug 15, 2011,
Perhaps I should have said I don't really mind what shape? I mean, I'd like a super-strat type thing, but I'm pretty flexible, apart from those crazy pointy metal shape ones.

But still, thanks for all the opinions. It helps a lot. I'm more of a player and don't know much when it comes to manufacturing quality and such.

For the moment though, it looks like it's going to be a toss-up between a Dinky, that M-100 and some kind of RG.

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Quote by GaryHB
Curious about this comment - I presume the RG series is the next one up from the Gio series, but did you say this because of a known issue with the Gio that I haven't discovered yet? I only got mine a few weeks ago and it seems OK so far....

(Just in case, don't just say "Gio are s***" - they may not be up to par with more expensive guitars, but it seems pretty good for the money, I just want to know if there is a genuine problem with this series of guitar)

Owned one for 5 and a half years.....played pretty darn well if you asked me.....
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
Last edited by kennethdave at Aug 15, 2011,
Owned one for 5 and a half years.....played pretty darn well if you asked me.....

I'll assume he's just a cheap guitar hater then... Seems pretty good to me, probably awesome considering I only paid £35!!
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I'd like to be able to gig with it if it come to it. As such I'd much rather spend a bit more on it and be fairly sure that it works well. I'd kind of prefer the trem as well. As far as I know, Gios don't have a trem, well, they have a vintage-style one, not a FR style job.

Quote by I.O.T.M

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.