Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
With so much free information on the internet these days it's fine. I have never taken any formal lessons but due to using the internet and even this website I am far from self taught.
There are a couple of reasons but there's nothing that can't be mitigated by a good self-awareness and motivation.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
While you can certainly get by without any formal lessons (and tons of great musicians have), there are benefits to having an actual teacher.

While there are tons of videos and lessons on the internet, a teacher will help guide you towards your goal and respond to your individual needs.

A teacher will also be able to notice anything you are doing incorrectly (how you are holding your guitar, your wrist position, your picking technique, etc) and help you fix your problems. Countless guitarists learn to do things poorly and have terrible technique without realizing it, and because they have nobody to correct them they can cause themselves permanent damage.

Finally, it depends on who you are, but many people will find a teacher to be good motivation. If your teacher gives you something to learn, you will most likely work hard at learning it in time for your next lesson. If you're showing enough incentive to learn your instrument,(and your teacher is good) you will be willing to put in the time and effort.

That being said, if you're going to get somebody to teach you, you want it to be somebody with a good knowledge of what you want to learn and a ton of experience teaching and playing. Otherwise, it's pretty much pointless and you'll get by no better than just learning by yourself.
I think there's value to sitting down with a teacher that you can't get from youtube videos.

That being said, lots of guitarists are self taught, at least for a while. The thing is, when you feel like you are getting stuck, go take some lessons. So long as you're learning and improving and having fun, there's no need to go take lessons, but you see it all the times on the forums, "I'm self taught, and stuck ... help me!" The help you need, in those circumstances, is lessons.
While you can teach yourself quite easily, with all the material readily available, you're far better off getting a teacher.
Well, with violin lessons and everything I can't afford guitar lessons too. So for now I'm self taught. I also can't afford a "real" drum kit for the band's drummer. We use a drum kit my cousin got at an auction for nine dollars. Needs new skins, cymbals, and a pedal for the base drum. Once we get good enough we are going to try and make enough money for some drum skins and symbals.
I'm self taught, but then again I'm facking horrible.
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!
I'm self taught. I took some music classes in high school but all I learned was the name of what I had been doing for years
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
I'm primarily self taught and honestly, I regret it. There are so many flaws in my playing. I'm sure I could fix them, but I would more or less have to start over from scratch and at this point, I've altered my playing a bit so I can still play almost anything i come across eventually, but I wish I would have had a teacher to point out some flaws that I missed that became a bit more prominent as I learned more music. I think that's one of the best things about having a teacher. If they know what they are doing, they can critique your playing and fix your technique. For me, teaching has never really been about what to do on a guitar, it's about what not to do.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I think with so much information out there on the internet you can easily teach yourself. You'll want to analyze your playing ever now and then and have other people do it as well. It's always good to have friends to play with (if they're better than you then even better) or you can even post clips on the internet. It doesn't matter if you have a teacher or not when it comes down to it, it's all about how much you practice.
I taught myself, and personally i like it better because u develope your own way of playing, you dont end up playing like your guitar teacher, well atleast thats how it is for me, and ive learned alot
Music is a universal language and it need not be translated, with it soul speaks to soul.
Yeah, i taught myself. I learnt by listening to albums and reading song books then learning the songs myself. Seemed like a good way to go . Just takes determination/motivation.
Quote by Junior#1
For me, teaching has never really been about what to do on a guitar, it's about what not to do.

this. One million times this.

There is a lot of information out there, but a great deal of it is contradictory, incomplete, or just flat out wrong. without a teacher, it's really easy to make habitual mistakes that could be easily rectified but have since become slightly more problematic. A teacher tells you to keep playing and what pitfalls to avoid. In my eyes, a guitar teacher is most helpful early on for all the important rudiments of playing and as you near technical mastery and are looking to carve out your own niche or style.
Definitely....why not....there's an endless supply of resurces on the internet.....

But, sitting with a proper teacher does open up a whole new world.....while you may start off rather fine from beginner to intermediate, I find it more effective to have a teacher help you progress from intermediate to professional.....
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
ur asking this on a website which basically established internet self-teaching
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Lots of guitarists are self-taught.

Lots more have only informal instruction - friends giving a little advice here and there.

That being said, if you're serious about getting good at the guitar, then sooner, rather than later, you're probably going to want a more focused and disciplined course of study than is available for free online. Whether that's getting books and working through them, or signing up for for-pay online lessons at a site like Jamplay, which offers a more cohesive approach - lessons are more likely to build on each other, and there's a more full course of study.

That being said, look, if you're going to not have lessons very often, I still think it's a good idea to have a short course of lessons at a couple of different times: first, whenever you feel like you've been stuck for more than 2-3 months, and second, pretty early just to help get the basics down right. You're not commiting to taking lessons forever!
I like to teach my self from the internet, aswell as having a teacher. Because a teacher can point u in directions if ur lost and jam with you + give a lot of good advice. An online teacher have just recorded a vid or written something down. Which is really nice aswell but just not the same ? =D
Its fine, just don't speak crap about how teaching yourself will keep your playing more organic or natural than if you saw an instructor (its what i did and its total BS).

I taught myself for over 10 years, got to a point where I wasn't improving anymore. Started seeing a teacher 12 months ago and my playing has developed an insane amount. Melodically my playing is exactly the same, an instructor will not affect your ears. Technically my playing is 10 times better simply by seeing a teacher.

Its fine to teach yourself, but i'd recommend you structuere in a good way. Certainly don't just noodle around night after night.

Only speaking from my own experiences and subsequent opinions here.
Getting a guitar teacher will save years of frustration <--- this sales pitch is true

It's not that you can't teach yourself, it's just you have the risk of doing it wrong and think that you're right..
Of course. It's worked for me due to the internet.

I will say, however, that I would have benefited from a teacher in the beginning. I didn't start playing chords until about four months in, and then it was only power chords. Full chords didn't come until around ten months since starting when I got into music that used them. Of course I was playing melodies and riffs back then, as that was what I was into. A bit of technique would have helped.

Which is why, despite being able to teach myself piano, I'm searching for at least a few lessons to get some technique down. From there it'll be a breeze.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221