Ugh, every time I go from tuning all the way down to adjust saddle height or truss rod, when I go to tune back up every string makes it fine except the High E ... it gets to around D then snaps at the machine head, leaving a tiny bit wrapped around and the rest hanging loose from the nut to the bridge ...

What am I doing wrong here? I've always tuned up the way I'm doing it now and it only recently started happening on my new 8 string. How do I fix this?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
What strings/string gauge are you using?

And you could possibly be tuning up too fast.
Quote by Somekid94
What strings/string gauge are you using?

And you could possibly be tuning up too fast.

I'm using Daddario .10s Nickel Wound ...

That is a possibility, but what it considered too fast? I ease it up to D and it never makes it past there.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Faster than slow? I'm not sure how to measure the speed

Maybe there is a sharp spot on the tuner somewhere?
Quote by Somekid94
Faster than slow? I'm not sure how to measure the speed

Maybe there is a sharp spot on the tuner somewhere?

I've been looking around the tuner for something like that ... I can't really see anything that would cause the snap. I can just feel the tension getting insane at around D when it usually wouldn't be when I first tune up. It's after I've already been completely in tune, then depress the strings completely, then attempt to retune back up to standard. Every string except the High E makes it.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
It sounds like you could have a burr on your hardware. Feel all the surfaces that the string contacts, especially near where the strings keep snapping, to see if anything is sharp. If you feel a burr it'll need to be filed down. You can do it yourself if you know what you're doing, or alternatively take it in to a shop.

Edit: Just read your last post. Instead of tuning up, then down, then back up, try tuning your guitar, then stretching the strings by hand lightly, then tune them again.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Last edited by Jimmy_Page_Zep at Aug 14, 2011,
i got used to the high E snapping.

couple of things... how old are your strings, when you tune them all the way down and up again? because, i've simply learnt to not do that with old strings. if im gonna take the strings off, it'll be to put a new set on.

even then, i once snapped my high e string putting on new strings, it snapped at about C#.

it's a combination of things that do it, how quickly you tune up is a big one. i.e., tune the string to say, G, and then put on the other strings of the guitar, go back to it, take it up to B or C, take the rest of the strings up a bit more, then play with your guitar in perhaps D standard for a few minutes. then, tune it up to E.

also, keep your guitar in it's case. leaving your guitar out in the open, particular if there's a window open or whatever, if it's a cool day, makes it much easier to snap a string.

i left my acoustic in the garden for a few hours, and snapped the B string tuning it DOWN. i wanted to laugh and cry at the same time
But you see, tuning up the SECOND time around is the problem. I can get the High E to E fine the first time, there's almost no insane tension at all. It's when I depress the strings all the way then attempt to tune back up to standard that I feel the High E pulling really hard, I can almost tell it's going to snap.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Do you have locking tuners? loosening the string and tightening it again with no wraps around the post can cause it to break.
Quote by jpnyc
Do you have locking tuners? loosening the string and tightening it again with no wraps around the post can cause it to break.

This must be it ... I have schecter locking tuners.

How do you recommend I tune? With the locks out the whole time or feed the string in, lock, then tune up? More than 2 wraps I assume?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010