When is it ok to anchor and not too?

When I play solos etc or lead licks whatever I don't anchor. But with my acoustic for example playing behind blue eyes (limp bizkit version) or simple man by lynard. I anchor my pinky for arpeggiating (sp?)

Good or bad? should I break it as a habit or is it ok. Without anchoring I find I'm alot more clumsy with it and its alot harder.
I don't think theres anything wrong with it. If it improves your playing then why not do it. You will see that a lot of pro's do it
Quote by mrbabo91
reason ?

Well, First of all, You may injure yourself.
Secondly, It just restricts your playing. Kinda.

Sorry, I dunno how to explain it. Read the Sticky by Freepower.
after reading the sticky.

I suppose it comes down to how anchoring affects you. Yngwie, MAB and petrucci all anchor and i wouldnt argue with them. Maybe its worth experimenting
You never anchor, ever. Anchoring causes unnecessary tension and restricts movement, I don't care what famous guitarist does it - they aren't perfect and I don't care how much it upsets you to hear that.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Aleksi
You never anchor, ever. Anchoring causes unnecessary tension and restricts movement, I don't care what famous guitarist does it - they aren't perfect and I don't care how much it upsets you to hear that.

Never really feel tension from anchoring my hand is probably more relaxed when doing it.
Quote by Captshiznit
Never really feel tension from anchoring my hand is probably more relaxed when doing it.

OMG! It's worse than I thought!! Someone call Freepower!!!!
Quote by Captshiznit

It's likely that you're not feeling the tension because your hand is used to it, your body has learned that that's what playing guitar feels like.
It feels more awkward when not anchoring because you're not used to it. Unless your physiology is entirely different from that of a normal human being, anchoring will cause unnecessary tension.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
It may be totally fine to be anchoring while sitting and practicing in your room....

however i find this an unhealthy habit when performing live....I rather have my wrist be more mobile, and to judge where I am and what I'm playing....
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"

Totally relax your hand. Put a pick between finger and thumb. Sorted!

If, when totally relaxed, your pinky sticks out, then I'll be very surprised.

When is it ok to anchor and not too?

If you have big hands and your fingers trail along the guitar, that can look a lot like anchoring, but the hand isn't fixed anywhere, so by my definition, it's not.

It's also worth pointing out anchoring isn't a huge deal. It's never a good thing but it's not a massive bad habit of doom. If you're pressing your finger into the guitar hard it's obviously a serious problem, but it's perfectly possible to be very relaxed and anchor, and very tense and float.

Although obviously, it's a small bad habit and it's easy to fix.

Yngwie, MAB and petrucci all anchor

Sure, but they aren't the three best alternate pickers in the world, are they?
I have now stopped anchoring and i feel that my right hand muting is much better as my wrist is more mobile and i can manipulate my hand position better. I also find that more of my picking motion comes from the wrist as anchoring leads to excessive use of the thumb
There is nothing wrong with touching your pinky to the guitar so that your hand knows where it's at. That is perfectly acceptable technique and I personally know a guitarist who has played 250 bpm sixteenth notes alternate picking (that's virtuoso speed my friends) while keeping his pinky touching to the guitar.

However when you ANCHOR your pinky to the body of the guitar, it shows you are playing with too much tension (you don't need to use excessive force to keep that sucker slammed against your guitar) all it takes is to have your finger lightly resting against the guitar and your fine. if your hand moves a lot (especially with string skipping or sweep picking) your pinky should be moving along with it, it should not be stuck in one anchored place while your hand tries to move around without it. just let your hand take your pinky with it, dragging it on the guitar body and you'll be fine.

Hope this helped
Quote by Captshiznit

I use anchoring only when I've to pick one string at once; not when doing chords or stuff like that, and when I do anchoring I've to agree with Captshiznit, if I compare ancoring playing with non anchoring playing.

When I don't anchor I feel like hitting strings randomly, instread of the 1 string I'm supposed to hit

Maybe I'll try to play without anchoring, even if I don't think there's anything wrong with it...it's just natural to me to anchor sometimes.
Quote by Michele_R
I use anchoring only when I've to pick one string at once; not when doing chords or stuff like that, and when I do anchoring I've to agree with Captshiznit, if I compare ancoring playing with non anchoring playing.

When I don't anchor I feel like hitting strings randomly, instread of the 1 string I'm supposed to hit

Maybe I'll try to play without anchoring, even if I don't think there's anything wrong with it...it's just natural to me to anchor sometimes.

Feels very natural for me to anchor not when doing solos like i said or lead licks anything like that.

But acoustic playing like i said behind blue eyes arpeggiating and like green day (Forgot the song name but its arpeggiated)

Yeh i've been anchoring for 2 years so it's ingrained in me. I may try avoid anchoring at all now.