ok i swear to go that im lying and stuff or skipping anything, but i learned all of this http://www.musictheory.net/lessons

and i know about modes too, i know how to make 9th chords, 11th chords, 13th chords, sus4, sus2 chords. i also learned about the pentonic scales. i dont know if im leavin anything out, and im not trying post this is as a bragging post or anything, i just want to know if theres anything else i should learn? (and yes i pratice the stuff i learn daily) but i was currnetly writing a finger picking song latley that i started liking and was wondering if i should just finish that.
Finish your song. Improvise. Train your technique if you have theory down well. Did you mention everything you learned up there? Just asking, because you are letting different scales out as well as many, many chords. If you are good with theory practice technique.
i know my major, minor, harmonic, and meoldy scales aswell, (everything in that website i had has it) i also know the major, minor,diminshed augment, major 7th so on and son chords too, and ok ty for the post,ill finish my song, and maybe ill post it here to here your guys opinions? lol

edit: are there any blues scales? lol
Last edited by harvestkingx at Aug 14, 2011,
All of those things you've learned. Are you able to apply them to your music or at least know some songs that use them? If not, then you haven't reeeeally learned them.
Go ahead and post it here. And I think that you have all the most important things down. If you find music theory fun like some people do you could find lessons here at UG that are about bit more unorthodox scales and theory. Then you can amaze everyone with your Spanish Eight tone Scale and Hungaian Scale knowledge
Yes everythig i learn i try making a tune out of it, i figure the best way to learn theory is to play it o your intrustment.

edit: stuiped question, so can i can considerred myself so what of a musican now?
Quote by harvestkingx
Yes everythig i learn i try making a tune out of it, i figure the best way to learn theory is to play it o your intrustment.

But do you have the same problem as i have most of the time, which is that when you think of a chord, lets say Badd13 or any other chord, You know how to build it, but can you play it? If someone asks you to play a chord you can't just say "I know how to build it but I can't play it."

EDIT: what i meant, you cant stop thinkin about the notes, you should be able to play it right away.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Aug 14, 2011,
yah i can apply to my fret board and then play it on my guitar if thats what you mean, yah i can do that.

edit: abit i dont think of really all the notes, i just think of the first note of what the chord starts in, and then play it.

example my uncle actually told me to play a bmajor and so with one of the voicings, i had b as the root note, so i just think , start at b, and then i play it.
Quote by harvestkingx
yah i can apply to my fret board and then play it on my guitar if thats what you mean, yah i can do that.

So you can play all the chords out of memory? And you can transpose the chords in a song to fit different key?
Yes actaully i have more then one voicings for each chord that i remember, sorry if im not complelty gettng what your saying lol.

Edit: not understanding what you meat by with the last question,

but lets say iam in Eminor.

then i know the chords that go in that key are

E minor
F# Dimiished
G major
A minor
B minor
C major
and D major.
Quote by harvestkingx
Yes actaully i have more then one voicings for each chord that i remember, sorry if im not complelty gettng what your saying lol.

I mean if you have a song that goes in the key of A major and has the chords taken from A major, can you transpose(Right word? ) the chords to fit the key of G or the key of A#? Like if your singer wants it or something.
You mean knowing what chords to play with in the key A with an a major and knowing what chordds go with or if i want a song in the key of G and still know what chords with the A?
Quote by harvestkingx
You mean knowing what chords to play with in the key A with an a major and knowing what chordds go with or if i want a song in the key of G and still know what chords with the A?

Um wut? Sorry, Its probably my english but i didn't get your point.
lol no its my poor grammer :/ lmao, but do you mean , do i know how to apply the apply an a major chords to different key that uses an a major chord
ok for an example ill use C major and E minor

C major has

C major
D minor
E minor
F major
G major
A minor
B dimished

and e minor has

E minor
F# diminshed
G major
A minor
B minor
C major
D major

i know that i both have, G majors, A minors C majors, but i would know how to play them in different key.
Quote by harvestkingx
ok for an example ill use C major and E minor

C major has

C major
D minor
E minor
F major
G major
A minor
B dimished

and e minor has

E minor
F# diminshed
G major
A minor
B minor
C major
D major

i know that i both have, G majors, A minors C majors, but i would know how to play them in different key.

...Okay, you are probably better in music theory than me, and im tired, Im going to sleep now, Im not sure what you meant with the above but you seem to have everythin down pretty well. Good luck with your song, man.
Quote by guitar/bass95
...Okay, you are probably better in music theory than me, and im tired, Im going to sleep now, Im not sure what you meant with the above but you seem to have everythin down pretty well. Good luck with your song, man.

thnak you , sorry for confusing you :/ im working on the solo now of the song, then the bridge and ill post it up, might take awhile, im the person that never gets happy when i have somthing so i try to find a way to make it better lol but i cant wait for the day, and good night
Quote by harvestkingx
thnak you , sorry for confusing you :/ im working on the solo now of the song, then the bridge and ill post it up, might take awhile, im the person that never gets happy when i have somthing so i try to find a way to make it better lol but i cant wait for the day, and good night

Good Night
Quote by harvestkingx
ok i swear to go that im lying and stuff or skipping anything, but i learned all of this http://www.musictheory.net/lessons

and i know about modes too, i know how to make 9th chords, 11th chords, 13th chords, sus4, sus2 chords. i also learned about the pentonic scales. i dont know if im leavin anything out, and im not trying post this is as a bragging post or anything, i just want to know if theres anything else i should learn? (and yes i pratice the stuff i learn daily) but i was currnetly writing a finger picking song latley that i started liking and was wondering if i should just finish that.

You should try to analyze songs, you don't realize how useful it is until you don't do it. I have acouple of posts if you are interested:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27822617#post27822617
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1459416&highlight=matteo+carcassi

That is pure music theory applied and it will also help you to introduce new ideas in your own work.

Cheers

Juan
TY ill take a look at that later, but the only thing i dont have down pat, is reading music, but im getting epic classical lessons, so that will help it lol, but ty i appertiate that very much