Over this weekend I went to a friend's birthday party, and over the course of a few hours of jamming decided to form a band with 3 of my friends (2 guitars, drums, and singer). This is my 3rd band at the moment, but it's a rock band that can work out songs easily, given all of us having some sort of experience with songwriting.

I have a 2man acousticish band with my friend, this new rock quartet, and a metalcore trio. I write some music for each, but I have a few questions. My 2man bandmate is the singer in the rock band, and the drummer in the metalcore band. He has told me that he would still play drums in the trio, but if he had to make a choice he'd rather just do the rock band and our duo thing. Should I see how long he'd want to stay, or just let him go from the metalcore band and get a new drummer? (he's not into metalcore, but he wanted to do something with drums)

Also, should our rock band look for a bassist? We seem really good as a quartet, and we could switch roles, but the other guitarist and I are good at what we do.

And while this is going on, how can I keep motivated to do all three of these projects? I enjoy all of them, and I want the metalcore band because the bassist is my best friend, and I want to play heavy music for a band.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Quote by Kilty Boxers
I would gladly play bass for you! =)

Thank you! But I just figured out some better stuff for the metalcore band. We're gonna have the drummer from the rock band be the bassist in the metalcore band. We really want to have a gig with all 3 bands so we can just move around a bit and get going
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
That's okay you prolly don't even live in the same state.
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!
Having gigs with all three bands can be tricky.
Think about how taxing it is to be onstage for a long period of time playing with one band...and then your other band will come on next and then your third band will come on after that. I'm in two bands in the moment and have played back to back sets...its so much fun, but it can be exhausting. So can practicing so much on a week to week basis (if you plan on practicing atleast once a week with each group)
You'll probably end up prioritizing one over the others, but shit, if you can handle all of that then go for it. Playing music that you love with different groups consistently is so much fun and so good for your playing but it really takes it outta you.
This will also be good for you if you have a steady stream of influence coming from different genres, or play multiple instruments- and it sounds like you do both of those things.
I think I can handle it. The gig with all 3 bands is (mostly) a joke, but we're not trying to move at a ridiculous pace in any of the bands. I have a lot of music worked out for 2 of them already, and the other one we'll all kind of equally work at. I have a feeling it won't be much trouble.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by its_alive
Having gigs with all three bands can be tricky.
Think about how taxing it is to be onstage for a long period of time playing with one band...and then your other band will come on next and then your third band will come on after that. I'm in two bands in the moment and have played back to back sets...its so much fun, but it can be exhausting. So can practicing so much on a week to week basis (if you plan on practicing atleast once a week with each group)
You'll probably end up prioritizing one over the others, but shit, if you can handle all of that then go for it. Playing music that you love with different groups consistently is so much fun and so good for your playing but it really takes it outta you.
This will also be good for you if you have a steady stream of influence coming from different genres, or play multiple instruments- and it sounds like you do both of those things.

Surely it couldn't take as long as the standard 3-4 hour slog you do every weekend in a covers band.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud