My uncle says that you're only a professional musician if you play with actual notes, and if you play with tabs you're considered an only amateur musician. What do you guys think? I myself think that's entirely BS.
neither is necessary to make you professional.

/thread
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
You are a professional if you make money from the music you play. You are an amateur if you don't. This isn't unique to music, that's just what the professional/amateur designation is.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I furiously masturbate on public transportation.
By definition being a professional musician is just being paid to make or play music, which is not dependent on either playing by tabs or playing with notation. But notation is really not something bad to learn, there is no real reason not to.

Or what JimmyBanks6 said.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by guns for hire
You are a professional if you make money from the music you play. You are an amateur if you don't. This isn't unique to music, that's just what the professional/amateur designation is.

This.
What everyone else said, but I consider anyone who plays guitar but doesn't know how to read sheet music a guitarist. If you know how to read sheet music/sightread then you're a musician.

You should learn how to read music, you'll learn an absolute ton of theory and broaden your spectrum of things you can play at the same time.
Art Tatum would be very upset with your uncle TS.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Mackalacking
My uncle says that you're only a professional musician if you play with actual notes, and if you play with tabs you're considered an only amateur musician. What do you guys think? I myself think that's entirely BS.

You are correct.
Quote by wizards?
What everyone else said, but I consider anyone who plays guitar but doesn't know how to read sheet music a guitarist. If you know how to read sheet music/sightread then you're a musician.

You should learn how to read music, you'll learn an absolute ton of theory and broaden your spectrum of things you can play at the same time.

That makes no sense. So if a guitarist is a composer, knows theory etc. but doesn't read sheet music, that makes him no musician? On the other side, you can be reading sheet music and still be clueless in what key you are playing in etc.

I started with classical guitar, so I can read sheet music. However I have friends who don't, who have the same knowlegde of theory and can create and play the exact same things. IMO reading sheet music is mostly beneficial if you are playing with a group of people, or if you want to compose for a group of people.
Quote by wizards?

You're a musician if you make music regardless of if you know a lot of theory or not. That is all that being a musician involves.
Quote by wizards?

A musician isn't the same thing as a guitarist.

OT: You can be pro without learning how to read music.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
A musician isn't the same thing as a guitarist.

this. a professional guitarist who reads music still isn't a musician.

also TS, you're uncle clearly doesn't know what those words "amateur" and "professional" means, now does he?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Ara Replica
That makes no sense. So if a guitarist is a composer, knows theory etc. but doesn't read sheet music, that makes him no musician? On the other side, you can be reading sheet music and still be clueless in what key you are playing in etc.

I started with classical guitar, so I can read sheet music. However I have friends who don't, who have the same knowlegde of theory and can create and play the exact same things. IMO reading sheet music is mostly beneficial if you are playing with a group of people, or if you want to compose for a group of people.

1. If a guitarist is composing but doesn't know how to read sheet music, guess what he's composing in? Tab.
2. If you don't know what key you're in and you've got sheet music in front of you, then you don't know how to read sheet music. The key comes right after the time signature.
Quote by theogonia777
this. a professional guitarist who reads music still isn't a musician.

also TS, you're uncle clearly doesn't know what those words "amateur" and "professional" means, now does he?

Oh my God, theogonia this-ed me?!?! He usually just makes me feel bad about myself...
you're a stone fox
Quote by wizards?
1. If a guitarist is composing but doesn't know how to read sheet music, guess what he's composing in? Tab.
2. If you don't know what key you're in and you've got sheet music in front of you, then you don't know how to read sheet music. The key comes right after the time signature.

Or composing in a piano roll.
Quote by White_Venom1993
Or composing in a piano roll.

I highly doubt a guitarist using his primary(and possibly only) instrument to compose is going to transcribe guitar parts to a piano roll.

You're thinking outside the box though, I like that.
Quote by wizards?
I highly doubt a guitarist using his primary(and possibly only) instrument to compose is going to transcribe guitar parts to a piano roll.

You're thinking outside the box though, I like that.

I hate tabbing, so piano roll to midi to guitar pro is easiest. What makes a musician as opposed to a guitarist? I can play guitar, bass, drums, keys, mandolin, sing decently, and can produce and program quite well. Am I a guitarist, drummer, keyboardist, mandolinist(wat), singer, and producer/programmer, or am I a musician? Am I a musician for making songs or playing them?
Tabs is just a another method of writing out notes. Now, professional musicians write those tabs, and don't just read them, and get paid lots of money to do it, thats what makes you a professional musician. Course, I know many professional musicians that don't make a living off of what they do, but they are professionals never the less.
Quote by White_Venom1993
I hate tabbing, so piano roll to midi to guitar pro is easiest. What makes a musician as opposed to a guitarist? I can play guitar, bass, drums, keys, mandolin, sing decently, and can produce and program quite well. Am I a guitarist, drummer, keyboardist, mandolinist(wat), singer, and producer/programmer, or am I a musician? Am I a musician for making songs or playing them?

You're a multi-instrumentalist(which is badass in its own right, I can only play guitar and fake my way through a few other instruments), but a musician is someone who composes, performs and studies music. Without being able to read you really can't fully comprehend all of the theory that's out there that can get you further into your writing/playing career. There are also a lot of genres of music that rely on the skill to be able to read/sightread sheet music(classical and jazz heavily rely on being able to understand theory and be able to read sheet music).

It just puts all the pieces of the puzzle together, and to fully understand music you need to be able to read.
In many professional settings, yes it is a requirement.

But professional as in gigging and doing your own thing and getting paid for it, no.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by wizards?
You're a multi-instrumentalist(which is badass in its own right, I can only play guitar and fake my way through a few other instruments), but a musician is someone who composes, performs and studies music. Without being able to read you really can't fully comprehend all of the theory that's out there that can get you further into your writing/playing career. There are also a lot of genres of music that rely on the skill to be able to read/sightread sheet music(classical and jazz heavily rely on being able to understand theory and be able to read sheet music).

It just puts all the pieces of the puzzle together, and to fully understand music you need to be able to read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musician

A musician is an artist who writes, performs, or creates music. Musicians can be classified by their roles in creating or performing music.

What you're saying is incorrect as i have shown. It would also mean that very few famous musicians are musicians apparently, which is bullshit. Jimi Hendrix was a musician, if you deny this then you are ignoring what the definition of 'musician' is. You are wrong.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Aug 15, 2011,
Quote by wizards?

Buddy, a musician is someone who plays music. Musicians predate the time when theory was something people studied. This is like saying you aren't an artist unless you've studied art history.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
If you are making money for playing music then you are a professional. If you are NOT making money for playing music... well.... you figure it out.