Poll: Degree of justifiablitity
Poll Options
View poll results: Degree of justifiablitity
Never.
18 7%
Only in extreme cases.
33 13%
Only if it is a life or death situation/self preservation.
109 43%
Only if you are ordered to/it is required to kill.
8 3%
Sometimes, but should be avoided.
36 14%
Sometimes, if they deserve it.
23 9%
Always, if they knowlingly put themself in the situation.
7 3%
Almost always no matter the situation.
17 7%
Voters: 251.
Page 1 of 5
Is killing another human being ever justifiable in your opinion? Whether it be in war, self protection, anger, preventing them from killing/hurting someone else, the death penalty, or any other reason people decide kill each other. This is killing with intent, accidental homocide is not relevent to this thread.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
tricky question. IMO, killing with intent is boiled down ultimately to never being justified.

If it's kill or be killed, idk. I guess maybe, but like I said, it's tricky.
Nope, it is never justified. There are better ways to deliver punishment.

Rickedit: To save another life seems to me the only reason to kill someone, especially if the person is a murderer or something like that. I hadn't thought about that, but yes, that's the only reason to kill someone, IMO.
Wine is fine but whiskey's quicker!
Last edited by rickygarcia90 at Aug 14, 2011,
Sure, it can be justified. Self defense, or defense of a loved one are great examples.

EDIT: ^ To one of the guys above me, killing with intent can totally be justified. Take the recent killings in Norway, if any of those people would have killed him, it would have been perfectly justified, he was killing them and many others. 1 life < many lives.
Last edited by sglover34479 at Aug 14, 2011,
I believe so but my family stems down from the upper levels of the italian mafia :P
.................................who'd you kill TS?
But yes, I think killing can be justified but only in severe cases.
Maybe, I guess war keeps us from being ruled by dictators.
you're a stone fox
Quote by rickygarcia90
Nope, it is never justified. There are better ways to deliver punishment

Say that to the guy who is about to kill you because you didn't kill him when you had the chance.

Only when your life or someone elses life is at risk should you even consider it.
It's always justified. Meh, I feel like trolling.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by conor-figgy
.................................who'd you kill TS?
But yes, I think killing can be justified but only in severe cases.

No one, when I get bored I like asking moral questions to strangers on the internet
In my heart I'm with you

every night
The only justification for killing another human being is self-defense.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by GodofCheesecake
The only justification for killing another human being is self-defense.

What if you knew for certain that he was going to kill someone who was not you?
Quote by ethan_hanus
Say that to the guy who is about to kill you because you didn't kill him when you had the chance.

Only when your life or someone elses life is at risk should you even consider it.

Yeah, I kinda remembered that just a few seconds ago... spare me a bit, my head hurts lol
Justified, well in war if you are a soldier its justified, kill or be killed....

this world sucks.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by The Poll
Only in extreme cases.
Only if it is a life or death situation/self preservation.

Isn't a life or death situation an extreme case?
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by conor-figgy
What if you knew for certain that he was going to kill someone who was not you?

Then I'd tell the person before he or she was killed. Then they could take necessary precautions and avoid getting killed.
Quote by conor-figgy
Also, where does euthanasia and abortion come into this?

please dont start this.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
please dont start this.

It's a fair and valid point. The euthanasia is what I'm more interested in hearing other people opinions on though.
Quote by conor-figgy

Hmm, good point on the euthanasia bit. Abortion probably doesn't come into play at all, though.
Quote by sglover34479
To one of the guys above me, killing with intent can totally be justified. Take the recent killings in Norway, if any of those people would have killed him, it would have been perfectly justified, he was killing them and many others. 1 life < many lives.

Pretty sure that counts as a form of self-defense.
Quote by mulefish
Isn't a life or death situation an extreme case?

Yes, but I felt that there should be a level between life or death and never. I know a few people who don't really feel that life or death situations are ok to kill someone, but also don't believe that it should be never. So think of extreme as very very extreme and unable to talk your way out of it/end it non violently.

I worded the answers so that it is a person's main thought that gets the vote, people thinking about soldiers or who are/were soldiers will likely pick the "if they were ordered" option, people for the death penalty might pick "Sometimes, if they deserve it". It's really up to you to decide what option is correct relative to how you interpret it.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Last edited by palm mute at Aug 14, 2011,
Quote by conor-figgy

I believe that under certain conditions consenting, sane adults should be allowed to kill themselves, and if they're unable then they should be assisted. I do not believe that abortion is equivalent to killing someone.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by due 07
Then I'd tell the person before he or she was killed. Then they could take necessary precautions and avoid getting killed.

And if warning them is not an option?
If by justifiable you mean "right", then I don't think so. But if someone tried to seriously harm me or my family or friends, I would not hesitate to kill, should that be the only option.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Quote by carlos_almighty
If by justifiable you mean "right", then I don't think so. But if someone tried to seriously harm me or my family or friends, I would not hesitate to kill, should that be the only option.

But you'd be wrong?
Quote by GodofCheesecake
I believe that under certain conditions consenting, sane adults should be allowed to kill themselves, and if they're unable then they should be assisted. I do not believe that abortion is equivalent to killing someone.

What if someone argues that no sane person would kill themselves? It is a catch 22, but I believe I have heard this argument before.

Another twist to justifiable homocide though, is suicide/self sacrifice ever justifiable?
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Euthanasia is tricky....you have to take into account things such as extreme depression and people who have extreme difficulty communicating for the elderly who can't communicate very well and others my be euthanised by family members after money etc. We also don't want it to be a legal suicide.
Quote by CodeMonk
And if warning them is not an option?

Inform the authorities and provide them your evidence? In what kind of extreme scenario is someone going to die and you know about it and have the opportunity to kill the would-be murderer but not the opportunity to warn either the intended victim or the authorities?
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Now suicide, for sure I don't think there's any good reason for that, IMO. And what exactly constitutes "self-sacrifice?"
Quote by palm mute
What if someone argues that no sane person would kill themselves? It is a catch 22, but I believe I have heard this argument before.

Did the people who argued that have any sort of psychological credentials? Because I think that's an absolutely stupid argument.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
^ No, likely not. I just remember hearing it somewhere when people were debating suicide/euthanasia. (I am not for that argument, I am just playing devil's advocate really)
Quote by rickygarcia90
Now suicide, for sure I don't think there's any good reason for that, IMO. And what exactly constitutes "self-sacrifice?"

Hmm. How about dying to protect ones you love, or even complete strangers?

Let's say you rushed a shooter knowing he might kill you but you would stop him from killing others, is that justifiable homocide and is it justifiable self sacrifice? You saved people, but what if you had kids? They grow up without their parent. What if you were unsuccessful and would have been safe had you not rushed the shooter? Is it worth it to try and save people in that situation?
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Last edited by palm mute at Aug 14, 2011,
If I'm trying to save myself, or another life, then yes. If person A is trying to kill person B, then I feel it's alright to kill person A. Of course if I'm not able to stop them without killing them.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Page 1 of 5