I have just spent the past half hour adjusting the intonation on my guitar. It has a fixed bridge, string-thru body. I have 12-56 gauge strings on it and have it tuned to Drop C. I got every string in tune and in perfect intonation..except for the F string..I spent an hour alone on this string. I can't get it in tune, but it comes out sharp for intonation. I adjusted the saddle to the point where it couldn't go back any further. I tried adjusting it to come towards the neck even and neither worked. I read that if the intonation is sharp, that you adjust the saddle to go back. If it is flat, then adjust it to come forward. All my strings were in sharp intonation when I started. I have no idea what to do right now. This is my only guitar right now. I can't bring it to a shop because I have no money, and I need my guitar ready for tomorrow because I have practice with band mates. Please Help! Please.
Last edited by ishredwithnubs at Aug 14, 2011,
I could, is there are anything that could go wrong if I do. Also if I do. How should I adjust it exactly? I have never adjusted the truss rod before.
since you haven't done this before. read the first page or so of this.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241

i believe you would need to tighten it slightly. this will cause the neck to straighten and you will be lengthening the distance between the nut and bridge, which may be what you need to get the string to correctly intonate.

you will need the proper wrench for it. most are allen wrenches but some guitars use an actual nut. (no pun intended).

that said, if you don't have the proper tool to do this, do not attempt it. also, i said slightly, like no more than about an eighth of a turn. righty tighty lefty loosy. (righty is clockwise).

make sure you read up on it and maybe watch some tutorials online.

if you don't feel good about it, most shops will do it for $20-30.
copy your opening post into the thread i linked you to. jj1565 may have some thoughts on it.

you may need to use a heavier gage string on that one in order to get the tension up. or...

a heavy core string of the same gage may get the tension up a little as well where it would intonate correctly.

but check in the set up thread and keep checking back to this one, someone may come up with other ideas here as well.

but those are the things i would try if taking a little relief out of the neck isn't an option.
I am looking at trying to adjust the truss rod, but I think there is an actual nut. What tool would I need for this?
it looks like you need an allen key to me. but do not use the wrong size or you could strip it out.
i gave it a very slight turn and waited 20 mins. The intonation was then all sharp on every string. Right now I have all but the F in perfect intonation. The F string is slightly sharp and when I say slightly I mean slightly. On my tuner it bounces from the middle to barely being sharp on the fretted 12th on open it bounces from slightly flat to middle.
Quote by ishredwithnubs
i gave it a very slight turn and waited 20 mins. The intonation was then all sharp on every string. Right now I have all but the F in perfect intonation. The F string is slightly sharp and when I say slightly I mean slightly. On my tuner it bounces from the middle to barely being sharp on the fretted 12th on open it bounces from slightly flat to middle.

I had a similar problem when I strung up my LTD with 12-56's and the G (or what was originally G, I'm tuned to C# standard) was pretty off. I readjusted the intonation on it quite a bit and it's not half as bad as it was. I only adjusted the truss rod to get rid of the buzzing from the heavier strings.

You may have to really tweak that G string with very small adjustments and test it out on each adjustment. Hopefully you can get it close enough if you can't get it spot on like the rest of the strings.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
Well I did do a lot of tweaking. I even lowered my emg pickup on the bridge. It was really high for some reason, and I heard it help to lower it a little when adjusting intonation. Anyway. I figured I would leave the f string where the intonation is. It is really close and it sounds good. So I am just going to leave it.