Hey UG, How 'bout I just get into the info?

Guitar: MIJ Jackson RR3
Amp: B52 AT 112
Other Pedals: MXR 10 Band EQ

Genres: Electric Blues, Classic Hard Rock, Classic Heavy Metal
Examples: B.B. King/ George Thorogood/ Judas Priest
Budget: ~$160 per pedal, assuming I'd have to buy 2, less is always good though.
Needs:
At least for the metal, I'd like a tighter distortion sound, with the pedal either being pretty much transparent or Marshall JCM voiced, as I already like the tone my amp gets, it's just a little loose.

Because my amp is very High gain (I turn the gain down to 1-2 to play blues on the dirty channel, 3 for rock, 5 for metal, then use the EQ to suck 6 more db of gain out), maybe a distortion pedal on the clean channel would work better for Blues or Classic Rock? Your thoughts? I've never owned an OD or distortion, but since Im beginning to finally start putting together a quality sound with quality gear, I think I'd like one versatile pedal or two dedicated ones.

Thanks in advance,
Van
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Aug 14, 2011,
Vox Ice 9. Love it!
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Transparent overdrive:
Timmy, Xotic AC
Marshally sound:
Xotic BB, OCD
RIP Gooze

cats
WAY HUGE Green Rhino
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
you should be able to get a decent blues tone with just the amp. try a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 overdrive as it does the tubescreamer thing and has a mod switch for more gain. has an excellent eq setup as well.
Jekyll and Hyde, I have this pedal and love it, seeing as your willing to pay 160 for each pedal, the 150 for both should seem nice. It's also customizable, if you take the back off, you can change the noise gait and bass level.
you're a stone fox
Quote by monwobobbo
you should be able to get a decent blues tone with just the amp. try a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 overdrive as it does the tubescreamer thing and has a mod switch for more gain. has an excellent eq setup as well.

+1 I love my CM-2.

Fulltone OCD is also awesome.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
personally what i would do is buy two pedals.

the first would be an ovrdrive to play bluesy type stuff over the clean channel. Fulltone OCD, Catalinbred DLS, Fulltone Fulldrive or GT500, or maybe a MI Audio Blues Pro.

and the second would be a Tube Screamer type of pedal to tighten up the gain on your OD channel, i like the BBE green screamer, they are soid as all hell and on the cheap side.

i have used that exact setup with numerous amps for quite a while. i own an OCD, Blues Pro and a Green Screamer, and had a GT500 a while back.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You do know that taking gain out with the MXR M-108 is not the same as taking gain out from the amp, right? Because it's after the preamp, it takes gain out in the sense of overall volume, not in the sense of br00tz...

Anyway, do you want an OD to boost your sound, or a standalone OD? For a boost, get something like a Tubescreamer or a Bad Monkey, and for a standalone, you could get a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret, or a Fulltone OCD, which can do both boost and standalone very well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
^Its actually in my signal chain (see sig) so it's before my pre amp and I was under the impression that it took a little out of the pickups.

I've heard of using an OD to boost, never heard of a "stand alone OD". Im going to guess and ask Is that one where you play on the clean channel and get the entire distortion sound from the OD itself? If so, no I don't want that,
I already like the tone my amp gets I just want more of it and tighter.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Aug 15, 2011,
I'd say a Boss Blues Driver for a standalone Bluesy/Classic Rock overdrive, or an MXR Microamp to boost a slightly dirty amp sound.
Quote by VanTheKraut
Im going to guess and ask Is that one where you play on the clean channel and get the entire distortion sound from the OD itself? If so, no I don't want that,
I already like the tone my amp gets I just want more of it and tighter.

Then add a tube screamer variant to the list of things to look at. They are especially good for making the sound tighter
RIP Gooze

cats
I like the sound of a Tube Overdrive going into a Plimsoul
Dirty Bomb on full gain with mids cut is metally also
How about selling your current amp and getting one that is more suited to your needs instead of spending another 300$ to get a sound out of it which another amp could do much better without any pedals?
Quote by JesusCrisp
How about selling your current amp and getting one that is more suited to your needs instead of spending another 300$ to get a sound out of it which another amp could do much better without any pedals?

Because in my opinion, it's a pretty nice tube amp. It is high gain but that's what I use the gain knob for, and once you do that it sounds quite nice with the EQ pedal, it could just be a little tighter. It's not worth buying a $700 amp for tighter distortion and less gain when an Overdrive and the gain knob fix that.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Aug 15, 2011,
Quote by VanTheKraut
Because in my opinion, it's a pretty nice tube amp. It is high gain but that's what I use the gain knob for, and once you do that it sounds quite nice with the EQ pedal, it could just be a little tighter. It's not worth buying a $700 amp for tighter distortion and less gain when an Overdrive and the gain knob fix that.

Not saying that it can't be done, but a lower gain amp will sound better for lower levels of gain than a high gain amp with the gain low.
You don't buy a Fender Twin if you are playing metalcore either although you can "fix" it for the genre with a distortion pedal, right?
^Youre probably right, but the tones I get out of the B52 are completely usable for what I do and I'm quite pleased with it. So could a lower gain amp do better? Yes. But this one will do fine.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie