Page 1 of 2
Just wondering on how often you guys change your strings and why.

Personally, I can't resist the sound and feel of a fresh set of D'Addario strings. I love the stiffness of the strings and their brand new tone.

I change my strings maybe once every 2 to 3 weeks, a month at the most. It may be too often, but once the strings start losing their shine, they tend to feel a little sluggish on my fingers and then I change them. I used to let them turn black before I'd change them out. And I once had a friend in high school who played acoustic guitar and he had 2 year old strings! I was like, "Why haven't you changed them?" He said, "Well, they haven't broken yet."

So what do you guys do?
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
I don't understand how people can go through guitar strings so fast. Mine last a good two months before they start to lose their tone.

Bass strings on the other hand, I find myself changing those twice a month. the oils in your fingers really tears up those big strings
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
I just change my strings when they start to sound dull. I am neurotic about changing them whenever I record something serious. When I am not recording, it's usually 2-3 months before I change them.
once a couple months, or when i break a string, or when they aren't the silver color they should be (unless you have some special strings that aren't silver)
Quote by olix95
once a couple months, or when i break a string, or when they aren't the silver color they should be (unless you have some special strings that aren't silver)

I used to play a set of black strings, after about three weeks they'd turn silver
Quote by JustRooster
About every time I use the search bar.

*Yawn*

I buy the D'Addario 10 packs of EXL115's (11-49), so I'm a little more inclined to change my strings when I feel like it. I have to discipline myself, though.

The strings on my ESP now are maybe 3 weeks old, not really sure, but they still have their tone and sound good. I could just be a bit OCD.

Most pro guitarists have their strings changed every day, maybe every other day. Probably because they sweat all over them like crazy. But that still shouldn't hurt them much if they're cleaned after each use.
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
Last edited by TH3M B0N3Z at Aug 15, 2011,
Quote by TH3M B0N3Z
Why would I search for this topic when it's probably months, if not years, old when I want to make my own thread?

I buy the D'Addario 10 packs of EXL115's (11-49), so I'm a little more inclined to change my strings when I feel like it. I have to discipline myself, though.

The strings on my ESP now are maybe 3 weeks old, not really sure, but they still have their tone and sound good. I could just be a bit OCD.

Most pro guitarists have their strings changed every day, maybe every other day. Probably because they sweat all over them like crazy. But that still shouldn't hurt them much if they're cleaned after each use.

It'd keep the community from not thinking you're an idiot of a thread starter. Plus, this topic is so re-hashed. Bringing back the old topic would keep everyone's answers in one place.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
It'd keep the community from not thinking you're an idiot of a thread starter. Plus, this topic is so re-hashed. Bringing back the old topic would keep everyone's answers in one place.

I'm not too worried about what an internet "community" is going to think about me and a thread I started.

Give the "internet: serious bizniz" shit a rest already.

Also, if I did bump an old thread, you'd call me out for that, too. So, either way, I can't win with people like you.
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
Quote by JustRooster

it's also called necrobumping
Quote by CJ Noble
it's also called necrobumping

The lesser of two evils. Plus, which a topic as rehashed as this, I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I'd rather see and old topic brought back than a new one started, especially by someone who's too cool to care.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
The lesser of two evils. Plus, which a topic as rehashed as this, I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I'd rather see and old topic brought back than a new one started, especially by someone who's too cool to care.

ROFL... too cool to care.

That made me chuckle slightly.

You take yourself, along with the rest of the community, far too seriously.

By the way, I actually can't believe I've got someone nearly 4 years younger than me trying to parent me and school me on what's right and what's wrong. You've got a little bit of learning to do, bud.
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
Quote by TH3M B0N3Z
ROFL... too cool to care.

That made me chuckle slightly.

You take yourself, along with the rest of the community, far too seriously.

You're an ass. GTFO.

If it's been done already, simply read the old thread. People's answers won't have changed, we didn't need a new thread just for this.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by pigeonmafia
You're an ass. GTFO.

If it's been done already, simply read the old thread. People's answers won't have changed, we didn't need a new thread just for this.

No, you are the ass. Once again, another internet forumite taking themselves too seriously.

Get a grip. You and JustRooster are the only ones who had a negative answer, nobody else.

Also, if the same thread was on page 1 or 2, I wouldn't have made another thread. If I have to search through the dusty ass archives to find another like mine or like anything else I want to post, I'm gonna post a new one. Get over it already.
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
depends on my job situation. like right now i have no job, sooo no string changes for the next month or so

But when i do, I like to change them once every 2-3 months.(generally when they break)

I don't like the brand new string sound, it's a bit too bright for me. but after a solid week or 20-30 hours of play time they sound amazing(to me).
Quote by Macabre Lullaby

Wait, so not only did I NOT get drunk, I also got PREGNANT and didn't even get any homosex out of it. Worst night ever.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
My girlfriend's doing a double degree in law. I think dick jokes are funny.
Quote by pigeonmafia
You're an ass. GTFO.

You're an ass. JustRooster is also an ass.
Quote by rocknroll radio
depends on my job situation. like right now i have no job, sooo no string changes for the next month or so

But when i do, I like to change them once every 2-3 months.(generally when they break)

I don't like the brand new string sound, it's a bit too bright for me. but after a solid week or 20-30 hours of play time they sound amazing(to me).

WHAT? You don't like the brand new sound?

Man, I love it. Before I never really cared until I started noticing the difference and then I was hooked.
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
I change them when I feel like it. Strings last a looong time for me because I have very little oils in my hands. Personally, I like strings once they are a little worn in. When they are new they have too much buzz.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by TH3M B0N3Z
WHAT? You don't like the brand new sound?

Man, I love it. Before I never really cared until I started noticing the difference and then I was hooked.

I can't stand the sound of a brand new string, you gotta break them in. takes a few days for me
Quote by CJ Noble
I can't stand the sound of a brand new string, you gotta break them in. takes a few days for me

Well, I do like the few days worn in sound. It seems like once they reach a week old, that's probably their best sound. But I still do love the feeling and sound when they're brand new. I just hate stretching the strings, but it's gotta be done. That hurts my fingers more than playing.
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
Quote by ishredwithnubs
Once or twice every month, or when they break.

How do you break your strings? Anyone, for that matter.

I haven't broken a string in 4 years, lol. My Eclipse's tailpiece had a burr where the high E would be strung through, so it'd actually break right at that hole. But since I fixed that when I got it 4 years ago, no string breaking here.
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
Quote by TH3M B0N3Z
How do you break your strings? Anyone, for that matter.

I haven't broken a string in 4 years, lol. My Eclipse's tailpiece had a burr where the high E would be strung through, so it'd actually break right at that hole. But since I fixed that when I got it 4 years ago, no string breaking here.

sometimes i get a bit crazy on my bends on my guitar and break a string
thats about it...feels really badass at the end of a set
I change them when they break, when they don't stay in tune, and when they sound dull. Usually, the first two happen before they go dull.

And I hate the sound of new strings too. Also, I have over a dozen guitars and other stringed instruments, so changing strings to make them sound a little better(if I liked the new string sound) would be a real pain.
Quote by CJ Noble
I don't understand how people can go through guitar strings so fast. Mine last a good two months before they start to lose their tone.

Or possibly 'Two months until they've lost enough tone that you its blatantly obvious that they've lost some tone'

Its possible - some peoples sweat reacts with strings worse than others. I change my strings at every or every other gig - its the first part of your sound chain and if they're not perfect, your sound is degraded to start with - as they say, you can't polish a turd

But really it depends on how often and for how long you play. I never buy brand name strings, they're a waste of money if you change them as regularly as is best for your sound.
I only change them once they break or start to feel bad. Both usually happen around 5-6 months.

New strings, unless they're flatwounds, sound like shit.
When one breaks [ie not often]

Unless I'm gigging or recording. I'm doing neither at the moment, so haven't changed strings in about a year
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by oZone_TNS
I only change them once they break or start to feel bad. Both usually happen around 5-6 months.

New strings, unless they're flatwounds, sound like shit.

I use D'Addario 11-49 and they're nickel wound and are a hex type shape, I think.

I don't understand why people hate the sound of new strings. I don't know what kind of strings you're using, but D'Addario strings don't sound like shit or bad or anything at all besides beautiful.

You must not be used to the clean and clear sound because you change the strings every half a year. Not trying to be rude or dog what works for you, just saying.

In 5 or 6 months, the plain strings on my guitars would be black and nasty looking. One of my cousins leaves his $1800 Gibson Les Paul in the garage, the strings were literally rusty and copper/brown colored and he still plays it like that. I wanted to clean that guitar up so damn bad. For an $1800 guitar, a Les Paul, that was purchased brand new, it looked like shit. The paint was all worn away and dull in some areas, the frets were dull and the strings were the worst. And the guitar is only 2 years old. My Eclipse and LTD are 4 and 6 years old and still look brand new.

Back to new strings. I'm really trying to wrap my head around the idea of people not liking the sound of brand new strings. I really cannot understand it. I know I'm not tone deaf or anything because I can detect anything out of tune, I practically hear notes in my head all day long, I play and learn by ear a lot, etc. I just don't see how brand new strings sound bad. Every time I string up my guitars with fresh strings, they ring out more clearly, they sound brighter through my amp, the overall sound is better than 2 or 3 month, even 6 month old strings. I'm just shocked that almost every post in this thread says new strings sound bad. Crazy as hell.
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
EDIT: When I change my strings depends on what I'm using. Some just last far longer than others.

This makes me wonder (no major intent to hijack the thread...) what are some good strings for bending? I've used Pyramid strings and they are certainly better than Ernie Balls but I hear DR Hi Beams are good too?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Aug 15, 2011,
i ****ing hate changing strings....its a hassle and a shore. i also hate how they go out of tune while i stretch them out.

on the other hand my lazyness caused me not to change them in like 5months....they were so filthy and grimy. when i finally did change them the difference was amazing. my guitar had started to sound like angry bees. now it actually sounds good, and also its so much easier to play..

so i'll basically start changing them every two months roughly....cus wtf changing them every 3weeks seems a little much.
If I had my own personal luthier I'd tell him to change them every few days because I love the sound and feel of new strings. But since I don't, I change them when they stop sliding off my fingers easily. I play a lot of fingerpicking stuff and when the strings start feeling tacky on my picking hand it's time for them to go, usually around 2 months or so.
Could be strange, but:

- I change my strings once every 5-6 months.
- I have never, ever, broke a string in my life. Not even the high E.
- I don't like the "metallic" sound of new strings.
- My first guitar (Squier strat) has still its original strings. Never changed them in 5 years.
Quote by Spud Spudly
If I had my own personal luthier I'd tell him to change them every few days because I love the sound and feel of new strings. But since I don't, I change them when they stop sliding off my fingers easily. I play a lot of fingerpicking stuff and when the strings start feeling tacky on my picking hand it's time for them to go, usually around 2 months or so.

Ah, someone else who actually likes the sound and feel of new strings.

I still haven't seen anyone else who has said the same.

Emperor's Child, I have used D'Addario strings for 8 years, the amount of time I've been playing. I do have EB Not Even Slinky 12-56s on my LTD, but that's only because I couldn't find a set of D'Addario strings in 12-56 in the store I was at. The EB's are alright, but I'll bet the D'Addario's are much, much better.

Try out the D'Addario's and see what you think. They feel nice, sound nice and last long.
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
Quote by davem27
i ****ing hate changing strings....its a hassle and a shore. i also hate how they go out of tune while i stretch them out.

on the other hand my lazyness caused me not to change them in like 5months....they were so filthy and grimy. when i finally did change them the difference was amazing. my guitar had started to sound like angry bees. now it actually sounds good, and also its so much easier to play..

so i'll basically start changing them every two months roughly....cus wtf changing them every 3weeks seems a little much.

An inexpensive investment in some locking tuners, specifically Sperzels, will save you some hassle when restringing. I love Sperzel locking tuners.
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
I change my strings every 3-4 months, my fingers don't sweat and they aren't oily when i play, so after 2-3 weeks, strings usually sound good as new. And ofc, i'm cleaning my strings very often.
I use Hybrid Slinkys and haven't broken a string in years (probably jinxed myself now). I play on average 20 hours a week and change strings every 3-4 weeks.
Page 1 of 2