So i have a bc rich that isn't the greatest thing in the world, and was thinking about getting some locking tuner's because i love the one's on my schecter (which are schecter's own brand unfortunately), so i wanted your guy's opinion on the some good quality locking tuner's. None of those auto trimming ones. So far sperzel look really nice, i'm gonna find out the size of the hole's soon just want your guy's opinions. Oh and if you know anywhere i can buy those schecter locking tuner's that would be awesome since i know i like them.
always, ALWAYS go for the kind that lock with a thumb-screw and not the kind that require a coin or a screwdriver. or i guess i should say i prefer those
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
The Schecter tuners are Sperzel tuners with different heads on them.

As for tuners, most of them will require you re-drilling the holes so they will fit. However, if your guitar already has Grover tuners or Schaller tuners, they make drop in replacements for those that are locking.

I personally like Schaller tuners, they look good and have a great gear ratio (16:1 I think)
Sperzel tuners are nice too, but their ratios are only 12:1. but they still stay in tune well.

They have tones of locking tuners on allparts.com You should check them out.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by ItsThatDude
always, ALWAYS go for the kind that lock with a thumb-screw and not the kind that require a coin or a screwdriver. or i guess i should say i prefer those

THIS. Also the ones that lock on top like the PRS locking tuners. Always get the ones that lock on the back.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
from my experience Id say the exact opposite. the other guitarst in my band bought an LTD EC1000, first time he changed the strings, the thumb wheel broke off on the back of the guitar.
Quote by Seanthesheep
from my experience Id say the exact opposite. the other guitarst in my band bought an LTD EC1000, first time he changed the strings, the thumb wheel broke off on the back of the guitar.

it's an ltd, i'm sorry but i will never buy one of those after owning an ibanez and schecter, the build quality is far more superior.

Edit: And yeah i'm definitely getting one's with the thumbscrew. It seems after a little more research i'm gonna go with sperzel or grover. Thanks guys.
Last edited by maowcat at Aug 15, 2011,
im just speaking on my experiences, I too have no intention to ever buy an LTD but thats whats happened to me
Quote by Seanthesheep
im just speaking on my experiences, I too have no intention to ever buy an LTD but thats whats happened to me

fair enough man, i turn the screw pretty tight on mine and the thing still looks perfect and shiny, so i know mine are solid
Quote by stonyman65
THIS. Also the ones that lock on top like the PRS locking tuners. Always get the ones that lock on the back.

The PRS Phase II's are the best I've ever used. You can pick them up from PRS, though they're a bit pricey:

http://stores.myregisteredsite.com/user1410582/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PAS&Product_Code=ACC-4337&Category_Code=TUN
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by ItsThatDude

Ones like the Gotoh 510 that appear to require a coin to lock actually don't. They are auto-locking. The coin is used to unlock the string for removal, and like the PRS Phase 1 lockers that had the little wing, only a light touch is required to unlock the string.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1