okay guy's, here's another one

a guy offered me this head for my gibson flying v, i'm super keen on it but would like to know some things first

firstly, can i run this at bedroom levels without it sounding like horse arse? if not what attenuators would be suitable?

secondly, what are some things i should be asking about the amp functionality wise

thanks
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
If it has a Master Volume, then yes you can play it at lower levels with the same amount of saturation. If not, then you will need an attenuator. I think the best you can get it porbably the THD Hotplate. Just make sure you get the one with the right ohms for you cab.

As for the amp, play it first. If you like, you trade. If not, tell him to go suck an egg lol.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
while not a popular opinion, it's the only marshall made after the mid 80's i'd buy.

and i'd buy it to play and keep.

the only thing it lacks at low volume is the dynamics that come with having volume. so you can't short it for that. i think it as good as possible at low volume, i'd of grabbed one but they aren't that reasonably priced here, even used.

and it responds really well to the guitar's vol knob. it cleans up really well.

quite frankly, i'm always on the lookout for one.

i'd do it and not look back if it's in perfect working order.

i've noticed the combo doesn't sound as good though, and i'd have to point to the open back of the combo for the reason. through a closed back 412, it's a very nice sounding amp.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
It's a pretty straightforward amp, the Body and Detail knobs are a bit hard to get right first, but once you played around with it for a while, you can get a big variety of tones out of it, even though it's actually single channel amp.
body and detail replaced the VOL I and VOL II of the old plexi amps its meant to emulate. VOL II was basically a bright channel on the old amps. everyone jumped the channels to use both and blended the two volumes with great success.

so you could look at it as BODY = BASS and DETAIL = TREBLE.

i'm not sure, so take this with a grain of salt, but to me, they are more like the power amp controls while the actual BASS and TREBLE controls hit the preamp.

ymmv but functionally, that's how they respond to my ears.
i'm gonna get the guy to come around and bring a cab so i can try it (can't be bothered making the 40 minute drive)

my old man's complaining that it's going to be too loud, even though it's really only going to be used in band situations and that's why i have the lil night train

but if i did want to play "cranked", attenuator opinions?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
never really used attenuators.

i thought it sounded fine at low volumes, and that was a beat up store demo head through a line 6 v30 cab.
Quote by gregs1020
never really used attenuators.

i thought it sounded fine at low volumes, and that was a beat up store demo head through a line 6 v30 cab.

you reckon? chances are it'll be fine and my old mans being an old fuddy duddy i still need a cab though

you get my email greeny?

Quote by FatalGear41
The Dr. Z Air Brake looks good:

http://www.drzamps.com/Documents/Air_Brake/airbrake.pdf

And there's always the THD Hot Plate series. whatever you do, just make sure you don't end up spending more on the attenuator than you do on the amplifier.

cheers, i'll check it out. not spending any, just clearing old crap
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore