I can't find any information about breakdowns. what im asking for is, what mind set should i have playing breakdowns. how should my brain think? should i be counting the 0's? after every pause should i reset position? even after just a 1 downstroke?

thanks in advance
I personally don't think counting the number of notes is the best way to do it. Honestly, I just listen to it over and overuntil I'm not thinking about it anymore. Just "feel it," ya know?
yea dude you're asking way too many questions. how should your brain think? do you really want someone to tell you that?

do it your way man. if it sucks, it sucks, do it again and it'll be better. **** i dont even know what im talking about anymore, but it's applicable to everything.
ya normally its easy but when its complicated like 0000 00000000 00 0 0000 00 0000 00000000 at 193 bpm its quite fast for the left hand mutes
When you reach that level of experience, you will just feel that you're playing it right.

You just need to make your left had memorize the pattern
august burns red isnt the best band for starting out breakdowns im guessing lol. to me i feel that sweeping is a lot easier then breakdowns
Quote by emmicKs
august burns red isnt the best band for starting out breakdowns im guessing lol. to me i feel that sweeping is a lot easier then breakdowns

You're thinking about it way too hard. And breakdowns are nowhere near the difficulty of sweeping. (Maybe that's because I've got a machine-gun right hand, lol.)

Are you trying to play August Burns Red's breakdowns or are you writing your own? If you're writing your own just play around with different rhythms until you get something catchy.

But I've got to tell you breakdowns, when done excessively (as does August Burns Red) get annoying and very cliche...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
My spider senses say you should slow it down and find some kind of pattern or groove in it you can latch onto. Once you master it slowly, then you should be able to slowly speed it up until you can play it fast. I don't know ABR too well, but if it's at 193bpm, then it should just be a lot of slow practice until you can get it up to full speed
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
You shouldn't think of it as "numbers" but rather notes and silences. Then repeat as the patern dictates (3/4-4/4, etc.)

Ex: 4 times a quarter of a note, silence for 1 /4th, 3 time a quarter, restart
Quote by KailM
You're thinking about it way too hard. And breakdowns are nowhere near the difficulty of sweeping. (Maybe that's because I've got a machine-gun right hand, lol.)

Are you trying to play August Burns Red's breakdowns or are you writing your own? If you're writing your own just play around with different rhythms until you get something catchy.

But I've got to tell you breakdowns, when done excessively (as does August Burns Red) get annoying and very cliche...

Almost all of ABR's breakdowns are different, and they tend to use them even when the tonic of the song isn't just an open C chord, which gives them a different feel because the song isn't giving a beatdown at the tonic. I can understand why would you feel like they get repetitive, but you will never find two ABR breakdowns that have anything close to the same pattern. Saying that they're annoying and cliche is like saying that a chorus in a song is annoying or cliche. It's just part of the style.
Quote by Equilix182
Almost all of ABR's breakdowns are different, and they tend to use them even when the tonic of the song isn't just an open C chord, which gives them a different feel because the song isn't giving a beatdown at the tonic. I can understand why would you feel like they get repetitive, but you will never find two ABR breakdowns that have anything close to the same pattern. Saying that they're annoying and cliche is like saying that a chorus in a song is annoying or cliche. It's just part of the style.

Internal Cannon and Backburner.

Also almost every single one of ABR's songs are in C minor. I do really like ABR, I'm just saying they are much more repetitive than you're implying.
Quote by Equilix182

Believe me, I've tried to like them - I just can't. And their breakdowns are different from each other - I was just commenting on breakdowns in general - I feel that they are overused in that genre of music. Sure, it might be part of the music, and I feel that breakdowns can be a great way to "brutalize" a song, but when done excessively it has the opposite effect. Too much of a good thing just makes me unable to take it seriously. I have the same view on bands that have too much shredding. This is just my opinion, however.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood