Hi all! I'm really hoping this is the right place to post this.

But I've had my Fender Stratocaster Squier for a long time [Go ahead and laugh. <.<]
And I use an RP200A effects pedal, the distortion on the pedal is extremely weak and
low quality.

For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSkGgvbnH1I&feature=related - 0:56

But when I end up playing something like that... It sounds like this:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/937034734418852e/

As you can tell, the effect is very... Uhm, dull and lifeless compared to the one you hear in the video. I have had this pedal for a year or so and gone through all effects, they all sound dull and lifeless. It's definitely not my amp or what I'm recording with [A small stereo input cable connected to my pedal.]

Does anybody know what equipment I can get to have a more fuller and hardcore sound? If it means buying a new guitar I'm up for it, I'm just sick of this sound!
well for starters you have a strat, which has single coils, and the video is using a guitar with humbuckers

look at some cheap ibanez's, rg321 etc. good delas if you go used

what amp are you using?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
well for starters you have a strat, which has single coils, and the video is using a guitar with humbuckers

look at some cheap ibanez's, rg321 etc. good delas if you go used

what amp are you using?

Well I've sadly been using a Fender Frontman 15G, although as of recently I have only been connecting my pedal to my PC and playing through that; my Frontman is in my room gathering dust.

I've just wanted to know if it's the guitar which is making it sound low quality or the pedal? Perhaps I need extra equipment? And I have been considering an ESP for quite sometime for about $500 AUD.
Quote by Azoshi
Well I've sadly been using a Fender Frontman 15G, although as of recently I have only been connecting my pedal to my PC and playing through that; my Frontman is in my room gathering dust.

I've just wanted to know if it's the guitar which is making it sound low quality or the pedal? Perhaps I need extra equipment?

Yeah, plugging your pedal straight into your soundcard is going to sound as crappy as physically possible. You need to use some kind of audio interface for recording. And when you're playing, why not use your amp? It'll sound way better than your PC.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Yeah, plugging your pedal straight into your soundcard is going to sound as crappy as physically possible. You need to use some kind of audio interface for recording. And when you're playing, why not use your amp? It'll sound way better than your PC.

I at one point had the pedal connected to the amp and the stereo input connected to the amp but the sound was still really weak and dull, a little stronger but nothing impressive.
Quote by Azoshi
It's definitely not my amp or what I'm recording with [A small stereo input cable connected to my pedal.]

What is your amp, and what are you recording with. I'm not sure I understand

muledit: scratch all this, I had this open and didn't refresh before posting...

Quote by jthm_guitarist

This.
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Aug 15, 2011,
You don't necessarily NEED a humbucker equipped guitar. Both Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio make very good "stacked singlecoils" which are basically humbuckers in a single coil's body. Its an RP 200? That's also not really a very good quality piece of gear there.

Maybe look at selling the RP, better pups for your squier (if you do want to keep it) and a nice modeler, like say a Cube or vypyr. Both are better than the frontman and pretty cheap online.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

No point [IMO] in getting better pups and a new amp.
Just get a new amp, pickups only change the sound so much. A heavy sound can be had out of single coils, amp would have a much greater impact.

Obviously he isn't going to get that exact sound with single coils, but I'm assuming he isn't going to want to spend too much money, and amp is way more important than pickups
RIP Gooze

cats
If you're on a budget a Roland Cube would do the job pretty well.....
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
yeah you need an orchestra and choir behind you to sound like that
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
roll off your tone knob and layer on some distortion. EQ your guitar hard and hope for the best
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E