I'm saving up to get a really awesome guitar as a reward for whenever I finish my guitar lessons. I LOVE how the Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe guitars look (the nice red-burst one). The specs say it has a contoured heel. I've played an Ernie Ball guitar and seen some Ibanez's with really nice looking heels on them, but I wasn't sure how the Fender's partial-contour holds up against something sweet like an EB. I've checked out the Carvin CS6's as well.

My budget is $1500 to $3000. I've also considered Minarik guitars, but have yet to try one.

Style: Rock/Alternative/Blues/Metal

I've yet to find a permanent amp, considering a Blackstar or a Kustom. Currently have a Kustom Contender practice amp on hold for me at my local music shop.

I'm looking for a good looking guitar with great upper fret access.

Also, I'm aware that some users of this site don't like how Minarik guitars look. I will not take you seriously if I get biased negative comments about the body shape of them.

Thanks

Dave
Quote by Duv
Oh, and for resonance just play unplugged and see if it's loud. And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.
i have a serious concern about the body shape of minarik guitars. Not for aesthetic reasons though. those edges are very prominent, and are probably VERY easily chipped.
have you thought about going for something a little different, like a firebird, or a jaguar?
if you are going for a strat, the american deulux's are pretty nice, if i was in your situation, and was set on a strat, for that money, id get a custom, or buy a mex and upgrade everything.
If you go with a neck through guitar the heel contour is usually very smooth. Just a thought. Also what kind of stuff do you play? I love Carvin and they can definitely hook you up with a cherry burst strat style guitar. I've never played a ct6 but all the dc's I've played were nice.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
fretz is absolutely right.
Last edited by fretz86 at Aug 15, 2011,
the ESP viper have a nice heel... i mean, you dont feel any difference being a the first and at the 17th...
i the TS can go up the 3000 then i say a used PRS Cu24, amazing fret acsess and crazy versatile
Pick up an Ed Roman Pearlcaster, those are some fancy shit
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by CJ Noble
Pick up an Ed Roman Pearlcaster, those are some fancy shit

Ed Roman? Even if I had that much money to spend on a guitar, I would not buy anything from that fat leprechaun.
i like the regular Strat style with the pickguard, the Les Paul style, and Reverse "V" style (a la Randy Rhoads) of bodies the best. I want the best upper fret access I can get and I don't HAVE to max out my budget, by any means. I'm not sold on any brand yet, because I just don't know who makes guitars with contoured heels and since I know I want that option, that's the best place to start narrowing down which guitar to get.

I have an Ibanez ART100 (transparent cherry) and a Squier Dissent Obey. I'm not keen on how the upper frets feel on the Ibanez. Very uncomfortable. The Squier's access isn't bad, but it could be better. And if I'm going to spend money on it, I'd like to have the best improvement that I can get. lol

The neck doesn't have to be bolt-on, it can be neck-through. I was strongly considering a http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=cs6
But, once again, I don't know who makes neck through guitars, other than Carvin.

I know I do not want a Gibson. Only for the fact that the company will do anything they can to make their guitars more expensive. No offense to any Gibson fans, but that's how I see the corporate end of Gibson.

As far as the Minarik goes, they have a really good looking contour, and their mass-produced line is cheap enough that I could get a Lotus and still have a $2000 to $2500. And I really like the Lotus and Halo body styles. I'm not set on Minarik as of yet though.

Also, my original budget was $1500 to $2000. That was with the assumption that I could have the most or all of the options that make playing easiest for between $1000 - $1500

Oh yeah, this was the Musicman I tried out http://www.music-man.com/instruments/guitars/silhouette-special.html
Quote by Duv
Oh, and for resonance just play unplugged and see if it's loud. And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.
Last edited by willhurley82 at Aug 16, 2011,
dude, i said it before, and Ill say it again, get a second hand Cu24. theres one near me, dead mint condition 2011 spec, stock for 2000$ playing one killed my gibson GAS and when i own it, my Guitar GAS may be gone for good
If I were you, I'd find an amp first. If your top budget is $3,000, spend about $1,800 on an amp, and then the remaining $1,200 on a guitar. Plenty of options open up to you in either category with that cash.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I'm totally clueless as to which amp I'm going to get as of yet. I was recommended a Blackstar HT-60 model, which I really like the demos and reviews of. I'll have to burn that bridge when I get there.

I live over an hour away from any store that has a large selection of amps. There is one music shop and a "trading post" nearby where I live, but the music shop doesn't have a very large inventory (mainly carries Peavey) and I'd rather not hit the "trading post".

My latest "bright idea" was to get a descent head, then get two cabinets, one for US styled speakers, the other for UK styled speakers.

Anyhow, to get back on track. I'm just trying to get an idea of which guitars to try out and which store/stores I should go to. I can go to Indianapolis or Cincinnati to test gear out, but I can not go either place often. When I go, I want to go prepared, where I don't have to look at every, single guitar at the places, to find the features I want.

I'll list the specs that I want, to a degree:

Body: Mahogany/Maple Top OR Solid Maple
Neck: Quartersawn Maple OR Whatever
Pickups: H-H
Fretboard: Ebony OR Rosewood
Body Style: Strat/Les Paul

Locking Tuners would be nice, as well as string through design, but I'm not partial to any bridge, I just don't use the whammy bar much, for fear of going out of tune.

EDIT: Oh yeah! @ Finger Cramp: That is one sexy guitar!
Quote by Duv
Last edited by willhurley82 at Aug 17, 2011,
Jackson USA Soloist.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Jackson USA Soloist.

+1 Or, go 100% custom and get yourself a Warmoth with a contoured heel.

Soloists are neck thru though buddy

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Jackson USA Soloist.

I came here to say this. Damn you Tom
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend