Could someone advice me, since I'm new to Marshall Amps, is the only way to get overdrive out of a plexi amp is to crank up the volume way loud? There's no master volume knob or anything?
Thanks!
Yup.

turn it up to incredibly antisocial, ear-splitting volumes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Im saving up for a plexi and this is my worry as well.

I would guess though, that there are ways to make it easier to manage. you could mod in a half power switch to help it break up a bit earlier, add in a master volume or, if it has an effects loop plug in a volume pot there to control it like a master volume (it will be preamp distortion and not the same but I think if you blended it well as a mix of output volume and preamp volume it might still sound close at a slightly lower volume)

and of course an attenuator. at least thats what I plan to try when I get one. let me know how you get it to sound at not head exploding volume, because im kinda torn between the plexi and a vintage modern myself. But truth be told, I crave that awesome plexi crunch.lol.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
You could do what Yngwie does and use a DOD 250 in front of the Plexi to hit the preamp a little harder. Might be worth trying.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
1 attenuator
2 very high output pickups or a boost/OD pedal

If it's that much of a concern to you then it might be better if you just suck it up and buy a slightly more modern style of amp that at least has gain and volume controls, if not a second channel.
A half power switch won't help much, ever even tried to overdrive a 50W amp?
For home use even 5W is too much to crank.
You should better get something with a master volume and a gain knob.
I'm going to hazard a guess and say you're not playing very large gigs. In which case, you have no business getting anything louder than a 30w all tube combo, let alone a Marshall non-master volume.

Have you ever even heard one of these things cranked up? It's painfully loud.
Even with the master volume amp (see sig), you still need to really push that volume up.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
I agree that if you dont plan on using this for big gigs its too much. Its an elusive and sought after tone but comes at a price (volume and $). I personally suggest a JCM800. It has a master and gain control and while its not exactly plexi tone it has great crunch. Btw there are plexi emulator pedals out there some of which sound close. Just my two cents.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
fretz is absolutely right.
Hm.. Thank for all the info guys. For now I just use it for recording in studio. But I probably intend to take it to larger venues within a couple of years.

I was considering to Modify it with a master volume as well, though I'm not sure how that would affect the tone.

What's an attenuator ? And for JCM 800's, any recommendations?
Quote by fretz86
I agree that if you dont plan on using this for big gigs its too much. Its an elusive and sought after tone but comes at a price (volume and $). I personally suggest a JCM800. It has a master and gain control and while its not exactly plexi tone it has great crunch. Btw there are plexi emulator pedals out there some of which sound close. Just my two cents.

Oh and do you have any personal favorites for plexi emulator pedals?
the best jcm800s are the early ones that are basically rebadged jmps. jmps are plexis.

so a master mod'd plexi isn't much different from an early early 800.

hows that for going full circle?

as far as attenuators, they effect tone more negatively than most ppimv mods. unless they are used as designed.

which isn't to make a plexi a bedroom or low volume tone monster.
Hm... Thanks for the background info on the plexi and jcm,
It making me more attracted to modifying the plexi now though.. Haha