Hey guys,

The last couple of days Ive been having an issue with my peavey 6505+. It just randomly starts making this overly loud feedback/squeal. It doesnt always happen, I can turn the amp on, play for an hour and it'll just randomly start squealing.

I tried not running any pedals and just go straight into the amp, still does it, i tried unplugging my guitar when the feedback starts to see if it was my guitar causing it, still does it.

Here is a video i recorded of the sound, as you can see its HORRENDOUS. Anyone ever had something like this happen before? or know what would be causing it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGpfyM4_FQU
Could be a bad preamp tube.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
How much gain are you using? I have the same problem on my 6505+ if I max the gain, just lower it a bit

After listening to the clip it sound like one of your tubes is about to go
gain is only on about 5.5. could preamp tubes cause it to be intermittant though? i only changed the tubes a few months ago

it happens on the clean/crunch channel as well, only not as intense/loud.
Last edited by mangz_adr at Aug 15, 2011,
Well I think there is a trick to finding out which tube is bad, I heard that you lightly tap the tubes with the eraser of a pencil. If anything stranger than a light thud is heard from the speaker, that is the problem tube.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
tube i had the same thing happen with my marshall couple months back
Jackson DK2M w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez ARZ 800 w/EMG 81/60
B52 AT-100
Marshall 4x12 cab
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss DD7 Delay
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Polytune
Sounds like it could be a tube right enough. Thats where I would start if you have tried all the other anti feedback tricks like standing back from the cab and limiting gain and volume. Even though you have put new tubes in you might have a duffer in amongst them. It can and does happen. I would swap them individually to see if you can pick up any suspect ones. If that draws a blank do the same with the power amp tubes. You get a limited warranty with tubes so you may be able to swap any faulty ones you find if you return them to the store you bought them from within the warranty period with a receipt or if you post them away.

Good luck
it was funny wayyyyyyy funny :hah: CHUG CHUG PEEEEEE CHUPEEEEEEEE
RETUBING SHOULD SOLVE THE PROBLEM
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Have you let Zak Wylde near it recently?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by deepsal
it was funny wayyyyyyy funny :hah: CHUG CHUG PEEEEEE CHUPEEEEEEEE
RETUBING SHOULD SOLVE THE PROBLEM

Haha, it was the best way to demonstrate what it was doing!

Will suss out the preamp tubes when i get home. Pretty sure ive still got my old ones at home so ill just swap them out one by one and see if i notice anything.
Has anyone ever had any trouble fitting ECC803's in the 6505+? mine go in but they feel like the tips on the tubes poke out to far and there is a lot of pressure on them when i put the cover place on.