I wonder if I can get some pointers when I'm going to write my original Melodic Death Metal stuff? I don't want to sound like a copycat. I know I have to "find my own style" but it's hard... So I wonder if I can get some pointers?

Thanks!
Quote by carlos_almighty
You just wanna try it? My philosophy is, "If it makes you curious, try it at least once."

Also: "Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted!"
Harmonized Riffs. the formula...
9 7 5 4
10 9 7 5
0000 00 0 0 0

mix alot to be unique.!

Fushion with other styles might be good, to find your way.
Funk and jazz chords maybe....

Its difficult not to sound like: the absences, arch enemy, amon amarth,...black dahlia murder...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF YOU READ 'H' I MEAN 'B'

GERMAN H = AMERICAN B

Thanks man! I'll see what I can come up with ... I have never played jazz before :P
Quote by carlos_almighty
You just wanna try it? My philosophy is, "If it makes you curious, try it at least once."

Well, just by saying you want to sound like a certain genre, you are basically implying that you want to "copy" that genre.

In terms of originality, try listen to all sorts of music that you like, not just melodeath, and try to incorporate your different influences to create something new. Also try not to think "ok I'm giong to write a melodeath song", because chances are it will some like something that's been done before. Just write music, and whatever comes out will come out, don't try to instantly categorize it.

Also harmonized riffing has been done 32423489738473284238 times before, i.e it won't sound very original unless you do something REALLY creative with it.
Quote by zincabopataurio
Well, just by saying you want to sound like a certain genre, you are basically implying that you want to "copy" that genre.

In terms of originality, try listen to all sorts of music that you like, not just melodeath, and try to incorporate your different influences to create something new. Also try not to think "ok I'm giong to write a melodeath song", because chances are it will some like something that's been done before. Just write music, and whatever comes out will come out, don't try to instantly categorize it.

Also harmonized riffing has been done 32423489738473284238 times before, i.e it won't sound very original unless you do something REALLY creative with it.

Thanks for answering! I think all the things you listed is my problem. I categorize too much, and getting to much caught up in that "I'm going to write a melodeath song" thing.

You're right. I have to put influences from other genres in it also! It's still hard, because I am sure many people have tried mixing plenty of stuff into melodeath already ...
Quote by carlos_almighty

hey man, me too. So use the genres to mix them.

By Jazz I meant play a 7th or 9th chord... instead of powerchord or minor major....

just add some sevens to my riff ;-P...
Or imagine a funky part ...james brown XDXD...

That would be a cool band.
Watch out for Vuvr!.... weird shit...

so you have all the freedom.
You play no blackmetal so you have not to fear any elitists....
You get some oldschool sound. That would be different enough to the plastic metal out there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IF YOU READ 'H' I MEAN 'B'

GERMAN H = AMERICAN B

Quote by ThrashLife

You're right. I have to put influences from other genres in it also! It's still hard, because I am sure many people have tried mixing plenty of stuff into melodeath already ...

Well, the difference between you and those other people is that you may have different influences. Not many people listen to the exact same music, so chances are you will have different influences, and different interpretations and perspectives of each genre.

If you give two people a set of colours and ask them to paint a picture of a cat, chances are those pictures will be different, even thought hey are using the same colours and are painting the same thing.

It just takes a lot of practice and perseverance to create original music that you like, but eventually you'll get it. Good luck.
Thanks guys!

This gave me pointers: add more influences, and it gave me inspiration. So I'm going to grab my guitar now! Thanks!
Quote by carlos_almighty

Mix styles. In my band, our main influences are:
Arch Enemy
Children Of Bodom
Avenged Sevenfold
Muse
Black Veil Brides
Guns 'N' Roses (Old stuff such as Welcome to the Jungle etc.)
Insomnium

So that just goes to show how much you can mix genres
TheRipperA7X
Quote by BlackmetalGitar
Harmonized Riffs. the formula...
9 7 5 4
10 9 7 5
0000 00 0 0 0

mix alot to be unique.!

Fushion with other styles might be good, to find your way.
Funk and jazz chords maybe....

Its difficult not to sound like: the absences, arch enemy, amon amarth,...black dahlia murder...

This really isn't an informed post, more like a jumble of words that don't really form sentences. Please construct advice properly ?

'Jazz Chords' isn't really a term
Usually when bands want me to play with them, its usually some kind of metal... melodic, death, pyromasochistic metal...

Anywho.... Harmonize, like said.

And to add to the genre mixing, blues. Metal can learn alot from the blues. Robert Johnson? Sold his soul to the devil to be able to play. And man, could he play.

But I listen to such a wide variety of music, it comes with being a musician... So do that, listen, analyze, learn.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.