Hey guys, I need help recording a death metal song, in real time with the whole band playing.
Unfortunately we don'y have any interfaces, but we use a microphone attached to my pc and record on to audacity.

For songs we've done before, it's worked fine.
They are mostly nu-metaly grunge rythmic riffs, but recently we have come up with a death metal style riff.

The sort or riff with a dupadupadupadupadupadupa drum beat and tremolo riff, I hope you get the idea.

We've tried recording it, but this one just won't work, no matter where we put the microphone, the it just comes out as white noise almost. The drum makes too much chaos, and we've tried doiing it with him playing softer..nothing.

Could someone please give some advice?

Oh and if this is the wrong forum, tell me and I'll move it.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
You're recording a full band set up in one take with one mic...? That will never sound very good, especially not with the kind of riff you're talking about.

The only thing I can recommend is setting up a click track and recording each instrument separately to the click. You wont get a particularly nice sound on any instrument, especially not the drums if they're playing pretty hard and fast, but you've a better chance of recording something usable if you multi-track it.
^Probably
Like I said, with other songs we've done, of other genres, it sounded almost good, and understandable, it's just this one damn riff..
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
i guess you could record but not play that riff, then overdub it from a recording on it's own but, can't imagine these songs sounding almost good to be honest :p
One mic isn't ideal in any band situation.
If you want my advice, do instruments seperatley.

Drums will definatley be the hardest to do with one microphone. If you're drummer uses a kit similar in set up to the link below, I've found that a mic under the ride cymbal is about your best option in a one mic situation. I had to experiment with recording drums with one mic' for a college project a while ago, and I always got the best results like that, it's not ideal, but it worked. You could try a single overhead, but it would probably end up very cymbal heavy. If neither of those work, just put a mic' in the room somewhere, aslong as the room isn't too reverby. I know someone will come along, and tell me that everything I said is totally wrong, but that's just what I've played around with in the past.

http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/dec08/images/PDPDrumKit_01.jpg

After that, do your guitars and bass and whatever else one at a time, by micing the amps. That will give you alot more control over the sound of the recording. Mess around with amp settings, and mic positions on the guitars and stuff, if the riff is sounding muddy, amp settings may be to blame, or you might find a sweet spot to mic' the amp from where there's alot more clarity in the sound, for example.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Aug 16, 2011,